NRA Pistol Instructor

Discussion in 'Training' started by lklawson, Dec 4, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Do you believe in God, Fate, or some sort of Universal Cause which sometimes pushes you in a certain direction or offers opportunities to you which weren't there before? Well I do.

Over in the FIRST Steps rifle thread, where I babble about how excited I am to be teaching an NRA FIRST steps .22LR rifle class at my church. The Deacon in charge suggested that we might want to do another Rifle course or maybe Pistol next year or soon after. I said no to Pistol, because, among other things, I'm not certified but that it was something which would be nifty and I'd consider under the right circumstances.

Well God, Fate, or the Universe has just Gibbs Smacked me.

A month or two ago my father asked me for "recommendations" on a CCW/Pistol instructor at a reasonable price for mom. She's wanting her CC but they're on a very tight budget.

After the first target shooting outing with my church I was talking it up to the Youth Minister, trying to encourage another go, when his wife, out of the blue, asks me to teach her Pistol. She says that she's comfortable with guns and grew up with them but never learned Pistol and that, while the AF certified her husband on Pistol and Rifle, they never taught him how to teach those so he doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

Two days ago all three of the co-workers in my room revealed to me that none of them have their CCW but they'd like to. One had the required course years ago but wants a refresher and another specifically says he'd prefer to take the class from someone he already knows and trusts; all were eyeballing me significantly.

Then, out of the clear blue sky, last night my cousin's wife calls me and directly asks me to teach her CCW requirements or, at the very minimum, Pistol handling. Seems that she and my cousin are concerned about what appears to be increasing terrorist attacks. Her children are looking around while shopping at the crowded Kroger's and telling her, "this would be a good spot for a terrorist to attack" and that their scared. She says that she needs someone that she knows well and is comfortable with because she had a "bad experience" with guns earlier in her life (turns out a sibling had put a gun to her head - her family is screwed up), and, anyway, they're on a super tight budget (her oldest has MD and will be one of my students in the rifle class).

I think "someone" is trying to tell me something.

[​IMG]

So, sometime next year, I'll be taking my NRA Pistol Instructor certification. I'm currently planning on spring (maybe) or whenever 3G has a class and it's not too cold (their range is outdoors).

I'm not soliciting donations (I should be able to cover it out of my hobby budget), just sharing an ironic moment. Life is funny.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well...that nullifies all my arguments.:p

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

If you want we could all take turns slapping you on the back of the head.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

She Who Must Be Obeyed says that's a good idea but she's first in line.

Strangely she's also second, third, last, and holds a special Coupon for "cuttsies" as well. :confused:

She says we have a Strange and Wonderful relationship. Apparently I'm strange and she's wonderful. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. histed

histed Supporting Member

Oddly enough, Kirk, I get the same thing from my wife. Congrat, btw. For what its worth, IMHO you'll be a great instructor. If we lived close enough, I'd send my own wife to train with you.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

She Who Must Be Obeyed went out to eat with one if her gal pals who told her that she was also interested in her CCW but was reluctant because she wants the instructor to be someone she already knows and trusts.

Yes sir. I'm listening. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

7. I think Kirk has been successfully doing other training of people for some time. If so, I'm sure he will do a top notch job on this also.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Judo, bowie knife, tomahawk, pugilism, Bartitsu, & a bunch of other things. :)

You are right that, to a certain degree, it is all the same. However there are very important differences, of course. A big thing to me is having the certifications as well. That means things to people.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I agree on getting the certs Kirk.... I truly believe that some people teach, and some are called to teach..... I believe you're getting the message now!

10. They are to the degree that basic teaching skills are the same no matter what is being taught. Things like teach them to walk before trying to teach them how to run a marathon, etc.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've been having a hard time getting 3G Tactical to return my requests on when their next NRA Pistol Instructor course would be. Finally I dropped by their physical location and asked. Turns out the guy teaching for them decided to open his own school focused on Training when 3G decided that they weren't all that interested in training but, instead, wanted to push forward on making ARs (they just got their manufacturer's license).

So I dug through my email and found Bill's contact info. Shot him a quick email and got a reply back. Looks like I'll be doing this at the end of Feb. He's also interested in my teaching occasional clinics on Judo, Bowie Knife, etc. for him.

One thing I hadn't expected is that he is suggesting that I take the Basic Pistol class first and, if I take the Pistol Instructor class, he'll not charge me for the Basic Pistol class. Hmm... Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm sure I could use refreshers and updates on my technique. Maybe he'll teach me to like Glock. :)

http://www.DefensiveTrainingSolutions.com

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sounds like a good guy.:)