NY interfering with rights once again.....

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Hermitt, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

If it was cops searching for drugs at a dead junkies house after a funeral, the ACLU would file fifty suits before a cop crossed a threshold.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

One thing they don't mention in the article is that another option when dealing with the firearms of a loved one is to transfer them to an FFL to hold while applying for the permit to possess them. I quoted the article here because it's easier to read the text in a post than it is to have to link to an outside page, especially on a cell phone.

4. Bull

Garbage!........

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

My thought was not as polite as yours.

6. Bull

Mine either..... I used my parcel of self restraint for the month to stop there.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So you're a legal permit holder.
    Now you pass away.
    Your family are not legal permit holders.
    Somebody who is by law allowed to do so needs to take possession of said firearms.
    Unless they start knocking down doors during the wake they are simply abiding by and upholding a law.
    And a law is by definition , well.....a law.
    If you don't agree with the law vote somebody into office that will change the law.
    *****ing about a sound bite on a forum is not going to help.

So you have an exotic animal permit.
    You come to pass away and your family has not applied for and does not have such a permit.
    So now the animal po-po comes by to pick up Mr Tiger till the sh*t gets sorted out.
    I don't have any problems with it.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
  10. Rachgier

Well the law gives family members 15 days to deal with the PISTOLS. I understand the premise behind the law itself even if I do have a problem with NY requiring a permit to even possess a pistol, but that's a whole different debate. The problem I have lies with the BPD coming in BEFORE the time limit expires, without warrants, confiscating ALL guns, and threatening criminal charges without properly notifying you of your legal options.

Suddenly deciding to enforce an obscure and generally unknown law by cross referencing on-file pistol permits with death certificates and essentially raiding someone's home is a bit extreme. Not to mention the fact that the SAFE Act requires an FFL and NICS check for ALL firearms transfers now. That means the cops can't legally return the firearms to your possession once they are confiscated.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So instead of assuming I'm an idiot or a bad guy, or the guns are "a threat" if my Dad is dead, or that they are just going to "lay out there...and end up on the street"...how about you call me, or my mom, just like anyone that wants to buy my dad's house or his truck?

Instead of just raiding my house, you could call and ask if I plan to register them.

Or better yet...send me a freaking registered letter, like most legal things require.

Are you SURE it's a law?

The law says I have to register my guns...but if dad just died, the will hasn't been read, so are they my guns yet? And even if they are or aren't, what law says they are supposed to take the property of a dad man, before the will clears probate? Are they going out of their way to secure his car, or his power tools? What about his unused prescription drugs?

This is a selective and arbitrary BS practice, and would be considered theft in any normal society.

So yeah, I have a huge problem with the government assuming I am not going to do my duty, or trying to game the system by snapping up guns before the legal owner has a chance to follow the law, not to mention the fact that it assumes "guns are bad", which is ridiculous.

12. Bull

That's a good point Ajole, about the estate being settled. And I agree, the state is playing minority report with your rights..... I also like the polices idea of not stopping thieves from stealing the guns, but taking the guns from you so they can't be stolen..... Karl Marx wishes he'd a got that in his manifesto before he croaked. That's pure genius!

13. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

This is insane! I'm sorry, I understand there are laws and laws must be followed, but like Rach said they aren't giving them their 15 days, so their not even following it!

Couldn't the family take it to their local FFL to hold until the grieving process is complete and they actually have a chance to either register or sell what they don't want?

edit: Can't believe I said register... that's another problem I have, but another reason why I would never move there...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  14. Rachgier

Yes. That is one of the options afforded by law to people who are not currently permitted in NY but wish to retain pistols they either owned prior to moving in to NY or obtained through the death of a family member. All of the FFL's I know personally have done just that. Some may charge a tiny amount for storage fees if it goes long-term but most will gladly hold on to them and even help you in the permitting process.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So here's the big question...dad dies, I know about his guns, I grab them and haul them home. Moms been gone for years, so the place is empty.

I assume they go to my dad's house to confiscate the guns.

How hard do they look? I mean...seriously? Looking inside walls? Without a warrant?

Do they eventually contact me? No will, we weren't rich, why would they assume I have the guns? If they did think I had the guns...why not ask? Do they wait for 15 days, then come bust down my door?

My head hurts. You couldn't pay me to live in that police state.:rolleyes:

16. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Agreed! And its a shame because most of the state is very beautiful...

17. Rachgier

Knowing NY, they would seek out the next of kin using public records. And according to the law, if you lived in NY and still had possession of said pistols after the 15 days without properly licensing, registering, and/or selling them you would be charged with felony possession of an unregistered/unlicensed firearm (X) however many there are/were.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, I was afraid of that.:(

19. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

but if you lived outside of NY...........?