nybody know a good Rust bluing operation?

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by john39, Nov 16, 2020.

1. john39

john39 Member

Hi guys,

I have a family heirloom H&R 922 revolver that needs refinishing. A hot bluer I talked too told me it's a cast frame and to not have it hot blued since it will look plumb color and instead recommended rust bluing that he does not do. I found a place that does rust bluing but it's like $230 plus $75 disassembly (or I do it), plus overnight both ways. I already have more in it than it's worth, and didn't really want to spend $300 to refinish it. Anyone used a rust bluer they recommend?

My other option is to nickel it, they were available nickled, and I can have it done for like $135, but it'd rather keep it blued if I can.

Thanks

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Being an heirloom personally I’d leave it as is.
    Now if you really want to do it I suggest you do it yourself.
    We have an article on it that @lklawson wrote.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

@john39 , please take the time to familiarize yourself with the board, the rules, and the TOU/TOS.This thread had nothing to do with his point firearms so I moved it to the appropriate section, for gunsmithing type conversations. In the future you may find that misposted threads will be deleted without warning or explanation.

We also have a relatively functional search bar so you're not starting repeat threads.

Also, the 922 is a popular handgun with the spam bots I've been banning and blacklisting. They all seem to post in the general hi point discussion section too...

john39 likes this.
  4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    This guy is fun to watch, here's how he rust blues:

And another:

And here's Midway USA

Foolsgold39 likes this.
  5. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I’ve used the Birchwood Casey bluing liquid, they have good instructions on their site.

Also used Neolube, a blackening agent used on model trains. I actually thought the Neolube worked better, but don’t know how it would work on a cast frame. I think the instructions say what metals it will work on. MicroMark sell Neolube.

I tried the Birchwood Casey stuff on my Ruger P90DC which I think is a cast frame and didn’t have much success, but I only tried it on a small spot.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Foolsgold39, moona11 and undeRGRound like this.
  7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Great Stuff, I have that little Beretta MINX (22s) that Reaper re-blued for Dad.
    It was HORRIBLE, and it came out much better than I expected. I'm learning this
    too, I have some older stuff that could use some touch-ups!!

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've only had two failures with this method. First, I tried to rust blue the barrel of my Taurus TCP938. Total fail. Turns out it's stainless. The other fail was a knife blade. Also ended up being stainless. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

undeRGRound and moona11 like this.
  9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I was going to reblue my barrel to but after striping it off I just polished it with flitz. Same barrel

lklawson and undeRGRound like this.
  10. Marine1

Marine1 Member

All I want for Thanksgiving and Christmas is 2 more HPs