NYS Senate passes bill to amend NY-SAFE Act

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Rachgier, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Now it heads to the Assembly where it's sponsored by a Democrat. It would be nice to see it pass the assembly, but I'm not holding my breath.

NYS Senate passes bill to amend NY-SAFE Act

Albany, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The New York State Senate approved legislation on Monday that State Senator James L. Seward (R) co-sponsored. The bill approved would amend several provisions of the NY-SAFE Act.
    “I voted against the NY-SAFE Act when it was first proposed and have joined law-abiding gun owners in calling for full repeal of this over-reaching, flawed policy ever since it was rushed into law,” Senator Seward said. “While the political landscape in our state is a deterrent to completely erasing this right-restricting law, I do want to make sure that some of the most burdensome provisions are eliminated, and my legislation helps accomplish that goal.”
    The bill passed by the Senate Monday includes the following amendments:
    Repeal the requirement that every purchaser of ammunition undergo a background check to save tax dollars on an unworkable, intrusive mandate.
    Amend the NY-SAFE Act to once again allow for the gifting of registered semiautomatic long guns to family members (who would then be required to undergo a background check).
    Shield pistol license applications and supporting data from public disclosure. Statistical data on registrations and recertifications would be available.
    Clarify the reporting requirements of the mental hygiene portion of the NY-SAFE Act to provide due process by more accurately identifying reported persons, providing clear notification guidelines for those reported, and simplifying the appeal process.
    Restore responsibility to our local county clerks and licensing officials to oversee the pistol license recertification process and call on the division of criminal justice, not the state police to oversee the process. The local licensing officer will carry out any updates and counties will be fully reimbursed for their costs.
    “The NY-SAFE Act imposed new costs on law-abiding gun owners, sports shop owners, and localities. More importantly, it is a clear-cut violation of our Second Amendment rights,” Seward said. “Along with costing us our freedoms and making gun ownership more expensive, the law has completely failed to make us any safer or prevent criminals from illegally obtaining guns. Enacting these changes is a step toward righting a substantial wrong,” Seward added.
    The bill was sent to the assembly, where it will be sponsored by Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi (D-Utica).

2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

like king Cuomo will sign it into law

3. Rachgier

He can't sign it. He's put his neck so far out there for this thing. Even if it makes it to his desk and he vetoes it, they won't get 2/3 in the assembly to override it.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It's interesting that NYC bas become more of a war zone, lately, all in spite of the Unsafe Act.

5. Rachgier

No, it's always been that violent. The media is reporting it more now because of the new law. Last time doomberg posted gun death stats I did the research and the purported "dramatic" drop in gun deaths was directly linked to there being significantly fewer suicides counter balancing the increase in homicides.
    They say it's a victory for the law but it's just the standard smoke and mirrors with statistics.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    So what you are saying is that the Unsafe Act has contributed to an increase in homicides, then. :p

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I always like to ask people that if the less strict gun laws outside those cities are the cause of the problem, why aren't those areas more violent than the city itself?

Never fails to get them all flustered

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    .Ten-four.

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Another one is to ask if they are ok with regular violence, since they're so concerned about gun violence