O.E.G. Sight - the Granddaddy of the Modern Red Dot Sight

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by Atomic_Ed, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Back in ancient times, the 70’s, the idea of a quick pointing sight was a concept pursued by several companies. LED’s were just coming on the market and Aimpoint threw the first powered reflex sight out to the consumer.

Armson and Singlepoint on the other hand, took a different approach in the 70’s, the Occluded Eye Gunsight. Unlike a reflex sight, there is no see-through around the red dot. The optics eye is blocked. To use the sight, you have to train yourself to keep both eyes open and overlay the dot onto your field of vision. You can do the same by simply keeping the front lens cover closed on a scope with an illuminated reticle. Give it a try!

There main advantage is that they are very fast on target, particularly when it’s dark. With both eyes open, see it, put the dot on it and fire. I won a lot of beers being able to dance a can around before the person next to me could sight the can.

The disadvantages are the zero is only good for one person and a certain range…not a long range sight, but very good for short distances. Training is needed in using this kind of sight.

The front piece of my Armson is the light pipe for daylight use and the glass on the back is for magnification of the dot. Tritium illuminates the unit at night. Armson is going to replace the Tritium on my old sight so I can put it back in service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A modern dot reflex is a better overall choice today, but I still like this old workhorse. It will be good to get it back in service.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The guy that built my Argy Mauser used an old Mossberg shotgun with a barrel extension and one of those sights to clean up many a local shotgun competition.

That shotgun extension had a great big hex nut welded to it, he'd thread it on the barrel and use a big crescent wrench to tighten it. Silliest thing you ever saw, but he simply didn't miss.

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Funny you should mention that.

I was thinking over the weekend that I should try it out on the Mossberg. I'm lousy with a shotgun. Can't hit my own foot with one. Maybe this sight would help me take out a few clay pigeons.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    New-Q-lar ED! Did your half-life on your tritium run out? :D

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

LOL! Yes it did. I've been through several half-lives myself!

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    How long before it was unusable?
    Date of mfg until it died? Any ideas?

7. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I bought it in 1975. This particular sight lasted over 25 years. BTW, it still works perfectly fine in the daylight.

BUT, these original sights contained a LOT of Tritium. So much so that you had to obtain a limited radioactive material license to own one. (Not a big deal to get a license, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission just wanted to make sure you knew you had to return it to the manufacturer if it was damaged.)

I don't think today's sights are loaded with as much Tritium as back then. How they manufacture Tritium sights has a lot to do on how long they last. If I had to guess, today's sights will last about 15 years; but it's only a guess.

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    Either that or they realized that is it mot quite
    the hazard they thought it was, originally... ;)

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Half Life of Tritium is 12.3 years, fyi... ;)

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

So if you get the sight you will be able to shoot yourself in the foot. I think you need to pass on the sight.:)

11. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Well, with a little practice. :D

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Pics or it didn't happen

13. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Whoa Hermin, set the way back machine! :p