Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the best overall length my 9mm reloads with this cast bullet would be? This is not the truncated cone; it's 2 Ogive, not perfect Round Nose

1.125 is what I plan to do my first batch at.

Please don't tell me to drop it in my barrel, I'd like these to work with other guns too, unless you have specific information that the 995ts has special COL needs.

Bonus points if you can tell me what manual(s) have load data with COL for this mold's bullets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can someone tell me what the best overall length my 9mm reloads with this cast bullet would be? This is not the truncated cone; it's 2 Ogive, not perfect Round Nose

1.125 is what I plan to do my first batch at.

Please don't tell me to drop it in my barrel, I'd like these to work with other guns too, unless you have specific information that the 995ts has special COL needs.

Bonus points if you can tell me what manual(s) have load data with COL for this mold's bullets.
I did see that thread (a few times). The author seems to only use pistols, no mention of 995ts. Also the COL of 1.10 is the shortest I've seen in my research so far. That's going to put a lot of the bullet in the case. Also the pictures in that thread are weird (must be the lube) and its really hard for me to see what the finished ammo looks like. Would like to see other pictures of what the COL looks like loaded with the rings on the bullet.

Was hoping for an actual 995ts owner that uses that exact bullet/mold without feed issues in their 995ts and other guns as well as a manual that agrees with them.

I'll probably give the 1.100 length a try, but hoping others will chime in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't own a 995, yet but do use that mold. I load to 1.100" and that works in all my 9mm's. It does seem short but in reality due to the 2R design the bearing surface and case capacity is similar to other bullets as more weight is carried in the nose.

Given the long throats the carbines usually have you should be find at any length. Really though, the only way to tell is to drop it in the barrel.

Here's a quick comparison shot:

Left is a 124 gr X-treme plated @ 1.150"

Right is the Lee 125-2R @ 1.100"

With 4.2 gr of HP-38 both do 1,020 fps out of a 4.5" barrel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think you're showing a picture of a bullet made with a Lee 356-125-2R not the TL356-124-2R (Lee part numbers 90464 and 90465) I'm asking about. The one I'm talking about has more than 1 rib near the base of the bullet. I'm not sure but I think they are slightly different lengths
90465-01.jpg

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
I did see that thread (a few times). The author seems to only use pistols, no mention of 995ts. Also the COL of 1.10 is the shortest I've seen in my research so far. That's going to put a lot of the bullet in the case. Also the pictures in that thread are weird (must be the lube) and its really hard for me to see what the finished ammo looks like. Would like to see other pictures of what the COL looks like loaded with the rings on the bullet.

Was hoping for an actual 995ts owner that uses that exact bullet/mold without feed issues in their 995ts and other guns as well as a manual that agrees with them.

I'll probably give the 1.100 length a try, but hoping others will chime in.
1.1 shoots well in my 995TS with 4 0 gns Bullseye.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think you're showing a picture of a bullet made with a Lee 356-125-2R not the TL356-124-2R (Lee part numbers 90464 and 90465) I'm asking about. The one I'm talking about has more than 1 rib near the base of the bullet. I'm not sure but I think they are slightly different lengths View attachment 47791 .
You're right but with the 2R design they should be very similar. The length of mine are around .575" with coating. Sounds like the same OAL works.

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
Not sure on the OAL of 147gr RN. I am sure MOM states it can jam on the roof going to the chamber YMMV. I have fed 147 Winchester truncated flat nose with no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure on the OAL of 147gr RN. I am sure MOM states it can jam on the roof going to the chamber YMMV. I have fed 147 Winchester truncated flat nose with no problem.
I don't know who you are talking to, or what MOM is. This thread is about TL356-124-2R a 124 weight bullet

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts
I don't know who you are talking to, or what MOM is. This thread is about TL356-124-2R a 124 weight bullet
124, somehow I saw 147. Excuse the fuck out of me.

MOM is Hi-Point. If you stick around here you will see the term frequently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right but with the 2R design they should be very similar. The length of mine are around .575" with coating. Sounds like the same OAL works.
I randomly picked one and measured the bullet nose to base at .595" for the tl356-124-2r that I have. This is not coated. It may have been run through a sizing die before I got my hands on it. But my concern is it's not the same bullet. Because the all the ribs on mine and almost identical weight, I think it's not as thick around as yours and therefor a bit taller. I totally understand the 2R part should be similar, but just looking at my bullet length against yours shows .020 difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I randomly picked one and measured the bullet nose to base at .595" for the tl356-124-2r that I have. This is not coated. It may have been run through a sizing die before I got my hands on it. But my concern is it's not the same bullet. Because the all the ribs on mine and almost identical weight, I think it's not as thick around as yours and therefor a bit taller. I totally understand the 2R part should be similar, but just looking at my bullet length against yours shows .020 difference.
We're all trying to be as helpful as we can. You'll have to measure the bearing surface or how much is seated into the case for an accurate comparison.

You could have multiple people tell you 1.100" works for them but at the end of the day the best answer is the one you don't want to hear. Until someone jumps in with the exact parameters you've outlined you're stuck with us. Maybe eat a taco or play with some Legos until then?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the reply from Lee Precision (mold manufacturer) when I asked them the same question:

Lee Precision Support <s*****[email protected]>
4:46 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Hello Mark,

There are two cartridge overall lengths associated the 9MM cartridge. One is fixed. It is the maximum overall length which is given as 1.169". If your cartridge is no longer than 1.169" you can reasonably expect it to fit into the magazine and chamber in most firearms made for the caliber.

The other cartridge overall length is the minimum cartridge overall length. This is listed in the far right hand column of Lee reloading data which is titled MIN OAL.
In load data produced by other sources it will often be stated as the COL. This MIN OAL is the shortest that the cartridge can safely be when loaded with a Never Exceed or Max powder charge. The MIN OAL may and will vary with the powder and bullet used and must not be exceeded or dangerously high chamber pressures may result.

So the answer to your question is that your cartridge can not be longer than the Max OAL nor shorter than the MIN OAL given in the load recipe for the powder you are using. But it can be anywhere in between those two limits.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're all trying to be as helpful as we can. You'll have to measure the bearing surface or how much is seated into the case for an accurate comparison.

You could have multiple people tell you 1.100" works for them but at the end of the day the best answer is the one you don't want to hear. Until someone jumps in with the exact parameters you've outlined you're stuck with us. Maybe eat a taco or play with some Legos until then?
I do apologize if I come across as a jerk (common reaction). Unfortunately I feel pretty frustrated that it would seem so simple to just find some load data for what I thought would be a common mold question. I spent a week on Google and digging through manuals and powder manufacturer's sites before asking here. I tried to be specific to what the question was as my searching so far finds only bits and pieces. I fear the 9mm has tight tolerances for how much powder and how mushed in the bullet goes. I already tried my loads on my Smith and Wesson M&P and they work just fine. Two rounds failed to feed in my 995ts (that I just got not too long ago) so before I start blaming the 995 I figured I'd check here to see if someone was successfully using this bullet with their 995ts. I did say I'd probably try the 1.100" but when someone with a shorter bullet suggests that, well it don't add up in my mind. Maybe the phrase "it doesn't really matter" applies here.

I'd still like to hear from someone using this bullet in their 995 with success, or someone that has documented load data including COL for the bullets made from this mold.....and I do appreciate the helpful suggestions given so far.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Doesn’t sound like what you are asking for already exists. So, when you do your testing and come up with those numbers others in the future will benefit from it.

I have to ask how old is the 995TS? Have your fired factory ammo in it? Would you consider it broken in already??

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do apologize if I come across as a jerk (common reaction). Unfortunately I feel pretty frustrated that it would seem so simple to just find some load data for what I thought would be a common mold question. I spent a week on Google and digging through manuals and powder manufacturer's sites before asking here. I tried to be specific to what the question was as my searching so far finds only bits and pieces. I fear the 9mm has tight tolerances for how much powder and how mushed in the bullet goes. I already tried my loads on my Smith and Wesson M&P and they work just fine. Two rounds failed to feed in my 995ts (that I just got not too long ago) so before I start blaming the 995 I figured I'd check here to see if someone was successfully using this bullet with their 995ts. I did say I'd probably try the 1.100" but when someone with a shorter bullet suggests that, well it don't add up in my mind. Maybe the phrase "it doesn't really matter" applies here.

I'd still like to hear from someone using this bullet in their 995 with success, or someone that has documented load data including COL for the bullets made from this mold.....and I do appreciate the helpful suggestions given so far.
No problem, people are pretty relaxed around here but things can derail fairly quickly. This is a very common problem with Lee molds. They have weird lengths, shapes and there is very little or no published data available. The TL bullets exacerbates these issues as they are even more unconventional. With these issues there aren't any hard and fast rules. Even Lee isn't very helpful. Compare with other bullets, fit them to your barrels and start low and workup your loads are the best advice I can give.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Other options:

Post this on Cast Boolit site. If no one there can help then it can't be done.

Find someone with the Quickload software that will run the numbers for you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts