·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090803/od_nm/us_slang_odd
Obama an entry in latest slang dictionary
Reuters

Mon Aug 3, 1:02 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The sixth edition of "UCLA Slang" is being published this month and it is just "presh!"

The book is released every four years by linguistics professor Pamela Munro and her students at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

Munro said the lighthearted dictionary is put together using a methodical process that starts with students collecting slang from friends followed by a detailed analysis to make sure submissions are spelled and defined correctly.

"Students learn a lot about grammar, language and linguistics," Munro said. "You can study anything you want about ordinary language through the medium of slang."

The 160-page English-slanglish lexicon includes terms, definitions, parts of speech, sample sentences and notes on the etymology and origin of new slang, Munro said.

The dictionary supplies such words and definitions as "presh," which means cute or precious.

Other terms or phrases include "fomo," or fear of missing out, "schwa" for wow; and "obama," meaning cool, as in "You so obama."

"Bromance" means a close platonic friendship. And "bellig" means drunk and belligerent.

"Eargasm" means, well, just what it sounds like.

If all this is new, just say "I.D.K." to indicate "I didn't know."

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
The word obama is also used as as a derogatory ethnic reference.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After he got elected my friends on Xbox Live used it as an insult, "dude you are such an obama for not shooting that guy"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe Obama should indicate falling interest or discontent in the subject. For example "that movie was number one last weekend but this week it's really Obamaed." That would be my definition. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think the loose translation of Obama is "a piece of shat" :D :D
As in: I ate Taco Bell last night, and when I got home I took a huge Obama?

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's official.. I'll slap the barack outta someone who refers to me as "Obama" LOL

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's official.. I'll slap the barack outta someone who refers to me as "Obama" LOL
Oh stop talkin lika an OBAMA!!! :D
*Ms. Milcop Slaps Shooter Z* Epic Fail.. LOL :D Too funny but not what I expected

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well i'm glad you cleared that up.

I thought it was slang for a dog scooting his azz across the carpet.

Bet I just made a watch list! :devilsidesmile: X

1 - 16 of 16 Posts