Off-duty police officer fatally shot at Ohio pub

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Off-duty police officer fatally shot at Ohio pub

AKRON, Ohio (AP) — An off-duty officer was fatally shot early Sunday at a pub in northeast Ohio after he approached a patron described as "unruly" who was carrying a firearm, police said.

Four other people also were shot at the Papa Don's Pub in Akron at about 2 a.m., police Chief James Nice told reporters at a news conference. One of the victims was another off-duty police officer who was grazed by a bullet and suffered minor injuries. Three patrons were hospitalized with possibly life-threatening injuries, which Nice described as "significant."

The deceased officer was identified as Justin Winebrenner, 32, a department member for more than seven years. Nice did not release the names of the other victims but said the three hospitalized included two men and one woman.

The suspect fled on foot but was caught in a nearby field about an hour later with the help of a K-9 unit, police said.

Kenan Ivery, 35, of Akron, was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated murder and five counts felonious assault, Nice said. A message seeking comment was left Sunday at a phone number listed for Ivery.

Police Capt. Daniel Zampelli said Ivery was being treated at a hospital for injuries he suffered at the pub. He declined to discuss the nature or severity of the injuries.

Winebrenner had joined friends and other officers at the pub after attending an athletic organization's fundraiser, police said. Ivery also attended the event.

Nice declined to disclose the name of the group, but he said he believed Winebrenner knew the suspect.

Ivery came into the pub separately and "was being very unruly," Nice said. The pub's management asked Ivery to leave, which he did, but he came back shortly and had a gun.

"At this point, the restaurant patrons looked to Officer Winebrenner, knowing he's an officer, and needed his help," Nice said. "Officer Winebrenner began to deal with Mr. Ivery as a law enforcement officer. Ivery shot him at that point."

Nice said he didn't believe that Ivery followed the officer to the pub. Asked whether Ivery targeted Winebrenner after he returned to the bar with the firearm, Nice said, "We're working on that."

Nice said he did not know how many shots were fired. He said police were still investigating and reviewing video and witness statements.

Winebrenner was transported to a hospital, where he died. He was engaged and had a 4-year-old daughter, Nice said. He is survived by his father, a retired Barberton police officer.

Nice described Winebrenner as a good-natured officer: "He's a well-liked guy — just a really friendly, likable guy."

The police chief expressed disappointment with the state's conceal carry laws.

"The typical person in Summit County that is arrested for an illegal firearm does not do a day in jail," he said. "And I've been mad about this. I've spoken about this. I've irritated the judges about this. It's not just a judge's fault. It's a legislator's fault in Ohio. It's not considered a violent crime in the state of Ohio."

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

If the facts in the story are correct the perpetrator needs to fry.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

This is a sad day of all. Feel for him and his family. Just trying to do the right thing.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What the heck is that? What freaking good would ANY law have done here? Stupid liberal BS moment by an asshat with a moment in the media.

Maybe if the law were that everyone carry a gun, this guy wouldn't gave been able to kill anyone.

5. Rachgier

I'm surprised he survived to be honest. The article alluded to the fact that the guy walked in to a bar full of cops and opened fire. It did say he was hospitalized for undisclosed injuries at the pub.

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Notice they left out the suspects race... another of Obama's fine upstanding sons...

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So how do you know Mary?

8. Rachgier

Check out Cleveland.com's page. Perp pics are in the gallery. He's black.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/one_off-duty_akron_police_offi.html

EDIT: And been busy apparently:

9. SWAGA

Do we know there were any racial motives or are we just guessing?
    White cop hangout?

10. Rachgier

The article, and my research, have only said that the he came back with a gun after being told to leave by the officer. It wasn't clear but it was almost like they said the two may have had a history prior to the incident at the bar?

Maybe he arrested the guy once before....

11. SWAGA

He obviously intended to pick a fight, maybe expecting 'suicide by cop'?

12. Anybody know if the officer was armed?

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I don't think anyone suggested racial motives......no one is guessing anything, just pointing out another criminal thug, who just happens to be black....

14. SWAGA

I wasn't implying anybody did, just a question.

15. Bull

My apologies then..... Thought you was going all touchy-feely on us for a sec.

16. Rachgier

They haven't said anywhere I looked and I haven't seen any info released about the perp other than they found him laying in a field using a K9 and he was admitted to the hospital from injuries he sustained at the bar.

17. Bull

I'm amazed the dog didn't get a few extra seconds of detaining him.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That would never happen =-O

19. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Well under Ohio law he cannot own or posses a firearm. So I have no clue what that a$$hat is talking about in the quote.

C. Consequences for Firearm Privileges

Under Ohio law, a person convicted of any felony offense of violence or any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking of any drug of abuse is prohibited from knowingly acquiring, having, carrying, or using any firearm or dangerous ordnance. See Ohio Revised Code ' 2923.13(A)(2), (3). Similarly, under federal law, a person convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term longer than one year is prohibited from knowingly acquiring, having, carrying, or using any firearm or ammunition. See 18 U.S.C. ' 921(g)(1). Federal law also prohibits firearm possession by persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. See 18 U.S.C. ' 922(g)(9).

Ohio's procedure for restoring a state felon=s firearm privileges is set forth under Ohio Revised Code § 2923.14, which requires a petition in state court requesting restoration of firearm privileges. In order for a federal felon to have firearm privileges restored, he must follow federal procedure. Presently, the only practical way for a federal felon to restore his federal firearms privileges is by obtaining a presidential pardon for the underlying felony.

- See more at: http://www.fpd-ohn.org/thelaw/criminal_process/felony-conviction-disabilities#sthash.Ajt3ybIK.dpuf

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Unless the chief wants lifetime lockup or capital punishment, he's got no argument. The law already is there, the only thing he can cry about is sentencing, unless there's a law specifying that, it's all on the judge's discretion.