Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got home from the range and the learning curve with the RDS is not what I expected. I couldn't point with it, couldn't aim with it, and the dot was dancing around like tinkerbell on meth.

Scopes were all borked because my half blind dog walks by braille, launches himself off the bed like he's still a pup, and ends up playing whack-fuck with anything that gets in his way...

I was shaking, I couldn't get settled, my breathing was jacked, my tinnitus was loud as farkle, and I caught myself flinching instead of squeezing the trigger. I was all over the place today. You would have had a better chance throwing a pickle at them instead of me.

My shoulder is bruised to shit ready, so this should be interesting to see tomorrow.
Joint Skin Muscle Neck Jaw

Bonus karma: Guy was out with his son and the kid was about 14 and shooting a handgun for the first time. Dad had him shooting a pocket .380. Well I had just run the M&P through about 100 rounds and let the kid shoot it, then the 10mm. The kid was STOKED and took a picture with the Glock because of the RDS

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,172 Posts
Well, I just got home from the range and the learning curve with the RDS is not what I expected. I couldn't point with it, couldn't aim with it, and the dot was dancing around like tinkerbell on meth.

Scopes were all borked because my half blind dog walks by braille, launches himself off the bed like he's still a pup, and ends up playing whack-fuck with anything that gets in his way...

I was shaking, I couldn't get settled, my breathing was jacked, my tinnitus was loud as farkle, and I caught myself flinching instead of squeezing the trigger. I was all over the place today. You would have had a better chance throwing a pickle at them instead of me.

My shoulder is bruised to shit ready, so this should be interesting to see tomorrow.
View attachment 76361

Bonus karma: Guy was out with his son and the kid was about 14 and shooting a handgun for the first time. Dad had him shooting a pocket .380. Well I had just run the M&P through about 100 rounds and let the kid shoot it, then the 10mm. The kid was STOKED and took a picture with the Glock because of the RDS
It will be better next time

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be better next time
You can definitely tell i haven't been out shooting with this whole Covid and ammo shortage horse shit.

I burned through about 500 rounds today though. I'll be adding the M&P to the rotation. It points nice and I was chasing the healing target ball from 5-50 with ease...

Reactions: Bull and moona11

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Now I don't feel so bad about my bad days or fighting the flinch. Shoulder looks bad. Wanna become a leftyfor a while?

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I don't feel so bad about my bad days or fighting the flinch. Shoulder looks bad. Wanna become a leftyfor a while?
I am a lefty. Ambidextrous, actually. Just prefer right hand rifles and left hand for pistols. Came in super handy doing transition drills.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I am a lefty. Ambidextrous, actually. Just prefer right hand rifles and left hand for pistols. Came in super handy doing transition drills.
Ambi is the best of both worlds. I'm equallt bad with either hand using a pistol. CAN shoot righthanded with a rifle, but it's slow and feels really weird. Should practice weak side more

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, sounds bad.
As bad as it was from a personal performance perspective, I still had fun. I was able to create a situation where a father and son got to shoot a caliber neither of them had ever shot before. My buddy was also the one who's RDS and 45° mount I worked on and taught how to properly clean his AR. This time I was able to get him all dialed in as his spotter, and I taught him how to use a spotting scope to see mirage and trace for wind values and shot placement calls while I was shooting. I was also told that I need to charge people and start teaching classes. By Chris and the kid's dad.

I helped correct his form a bit and covered the safe handing off of a cleared firearm because the dad clearly skipped that lesson in his own training...

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,244 Posts
Shit happens... Yeah Ignore the bounce, it will drive you nuts trying to get it to stay still, breathe like normal and point and shoot, the more you TRY to aim with it the worse its gonna jump.

We have all been there, especially when you are learning something new.

Once you get it down, and I know you will, it will be a blast.

Hey, at least you had fun and trigger time is always good, even when I shoot crappy lol.

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shit happens... Yeah Ignore the bounce, it will drive you nuts trying to get it to stay still, breathe like normal and point and shoot, the more you TRY to aim with it the worse its gonna jump.

We have all been there, especially when you are learning something new.

Once you get it down, and I know you will, it will be a blast.

Hey, at least you had fun and trigger time is always good, even when I shoot crappy lol.
Trying to decide how I want to get my sight picture is a pain as well. With a 3-dot and Glocks drop in a bucket, it's simple. Put the FSP on the left target or put the left fsp on the target. Just depends on what I'm focused on due to distance. Now, if I focus on the target I get a Venn diagram and a floating dot.

I'm also used to pointing and catching my FSP as a reference point. No FSP, due to the rds height, so my normal reference is gone and now I'm picking up the hashmarks on the been of the RDS. Because of that, I'm instinctively tipping the muzzle up to look for it.

Big thing is going to be shooting it. I need to go out and do single shots from the draw. 45 pull and presents in a row. Start drilling the new sight picture in to my head. I did a laser bore sight at 15y tonight. I was more concerned about windage than I was elevation. Time to set up a portable reloading station and start cranking out some 10mm...

Reactions: Visper

·
Super Moderator
10,062 Posts
As bad as it was from a personal performance perspective, I still had fun. I was able to create a situation where a father and son got to shoot a caliber neither of them had ever shot before. My buddy was also the one who's RDS and 45° mount I worked on and taught how to properly clean his AR. This time I was able to get him all dialed in as his spotter, and I taught him how to use a spotting scope to see mirage and trace for wind values and shot placement calls while I was shooting. I was also told that I need to charge people and start teaching classes. By Chris and the kid's dad.

I helped correct his form a bit and covered the safe handing off of a cleared firearm because the dad clearly skipped that lesson in his own training...
Sounds like a good day to me. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,244 Posts
Trying to decide how I want to get my sight picture is a pain as well. With a 3-dot and Glocks drop in a bucket, it's simple. Put the FSP on the left target or put the left fsp on the target. Just depends on what I'm focused on due to distance. Now, if I focus on the target I get a Venn diagram and a floating dot.

I'm also used to pointing and catching my FSP as a reference point. No FSP, due to the rds height, so my normal reference is gone and now I'm picking up the hashmarks on the been of the RDS. Because of that, I'm instinctively tipping the muzzle up to look for it.

Big thing is going to be shooting it. I need to go out and do single shots from the draw. 45 pull and presents in a row. Start drilling the new sight picture in to my head. I did a laser bore sight at 15y tonight. I was more concerned about windage than I was elevation. Time to set up a portable reloading station and start cranking out some 10mm...
You know you can get suppressor height sights installed I have suppressor height irons on all my red dots Glocks. They are all night sights also. Like you I want that point of reference on draw, and having night sights helps, duh, in the dark nd light lol.

You can get Trijicon, Ameriglow and XS sights. I use XS primarily, especially for mid height minimalist (only trit fsp) sights. They work great for optic cut slides, bottom 1/3 co-witness PERFECT. Ameriglow has like 8 different size combinations, so depending on the height of your red dot, they may be the better choice.

·
Super Moderator
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I'm just being my usual self and trying new things on maximum difficulty. Personally, I don't really like the look of suppressor sights without the can, and the RDS has the markings on it, like a rear sight would, so at close range I can shoot the back of the slide at close range. Realistically speaking, if I see equal parts bad guy to the left, right, and above my slide... safe bet I'm on target.

I do appreciate the suggestions though, I'm potentially, just slightly, a little teensy weensy bit hard headed... maybe... according to one of two people.

And this new adventure has reminded me how much I'm not a fan of Glock triggers so I'm probably going to do a $0.25 trigger job on it after dry firing its hundred or so times a night. Not looking for a hair trigger, just closer to 4.5 with a smooth clean break would be better then a gritty and uneven 5.5.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I do appreciate the suggestions though, I'm potentially, just slightly, a little teensy weensy bit hard headed... maybe... according to one of two people.
Arm Human body Gesture Line Art
Kinda like this, right?

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,244 Posts
And this new adventure has reminded me how much I'm not a fan of Glock triggers so I'm probably going to do a $0.25 trigger job on it after dry firing its hundred or so times a night. Not looking for a hair trigger, just closer to 4.5 with a smooth clean break would be better then a gritty and uneven 5.5.
Yeah... I hear ya on that. you can polish and get a minus connector which is usually good enough, at least gets rid of the grittyness and will drop your trigger pull slightly - a lot of it is the actual glock trigger shoe... I have replaced the curved trigger with the p80 flat triggers, can buy em on ebay for $15-20 bucks? They improve it imenssly along with a polish and connector swap.

There are a few aftermarket triggers that I really like though. Apex has a new poly trigger based on their aluminum ones, VERY nice, $99 and comes with connector and FP safety. Overwatch, very nice, the polydat is great. Then of course you move up to ZEV and all the other "performance ones". For the money Apex and overwatch are the bees knees.

Personally, I don't really like the look of suppressor sights without the can
I thought EXACTLY the same when I got my first set, hated them, took them off and put my std night sights back on. Shot my red dots stock, hated no co-witness... as they say what can go wrong will go wrong an I could see the battery die'n on me... So I put them back on.

They grow on you and I actually think it helps me pick up my sights better just due to size lol. Watch some vids online, a lot of gun folk out there are slowly coming over to the dark side.

Yeah at 15-20 ft, don't matter, point and shoot... but if you want to engage an active shooter, like in a mall, at like 40 yds, a good sight picture is key!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts