Oh no!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by duster066, May 7, 2014.

1. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I found a Win 94 in 30 WCF 26" octagonal barrel S/N 166727 made in 1899. The gun is absolutely original and appears to be fully functional. However it is in terrible shape with over 95% of the finish gone and deeply pitted. The wood is banged up with some minor cracks but it is tight. The action is smooth and the trigger is clean and crisp. The bore is frosty but with well defined rifling. The crown is undamaged. It looks like it was probably stuffed in a closet and ignored for 60 years. The only serious problem I can see is the dove tail in the barrel that supports the mag tube is worn out and no longer retains the tube. There is one screw missing from the forestock barrel band. One of those trick peep sights has been added to the butt stock top strap, but it has been there for a long time. I believe it would shoot.

I've found similar rifles in slightly better condition for $1500 and up. My LGS wants $495 for this rifle. I am not interested in the gun as a shooter. I've wanted an all original 19th century cowboy gun for awhile now, and I can swing that price. But I know nothing about collecting old guns, and I'm interested in what you collectors think.

The shop owns this gun so I may be able to get him to budge a bit on the price. I think I want this thing real bad.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

if you dont buy it, someone else will and you'll be right back to where you are now. if its in good enough shape to make it satisfy what you want it for, DO IT!!

if you like it, but sit on the fence, it'll be gone and you'll regret it.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

These are the things that matter. Buy it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've seen several people use this comment, and I agree with it..."if it's what you want, and you're happy with it, you didn't overpay."

5. duster066

OK then. I'm heading back down there to try and swing a deal.

6. Bull

Hope she works out for you!

P,S. This was a bad place to ask, if you were looking for someone to talk you out of it..... Bro code says never talk a buddy out of buying more guns.

7. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i assume the obligatory pics will be coming....:D

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

as a long time member, and especially as a moderator, he should know better by now and have ALREADY had pictures to post. consider that a warning.!! :p

9. bluebone

you're right, he should already be on probation for that blatant faux pas!!:D

10. Pics or it didnt happen

11. duster066

I did it. I traded my Smith 22A and my mossy 500 plus a little cash. He came down on the price 40 bucks. I'm thrilled to death. I have a real cowboy gun.

Attached Files:

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

SWEET!!!!

My dad has a standard barrel version, same cal. I forget the date. It might be pre-20th C. but I'm thinking it's probably early '30s. He's used it in SASS competitions. Mechanically, it's in great condition but it's an old farmer's gun. Same sort of finish left on it. No saddle ring. The farmer, literally, ground it off. You can easily see the grind marks on the frame. Still it's a fully functional antique and fun to shoot. When he gave me most of the rest of his guns for me to keep hold of for him (because he's living in California), he kept that one and a new shotty.

If you can assure yourself that it's mechanically sound, go ahead and shoot some easy loads through it. There's nothing like the feeling of shooting history.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Wow, the original.......
    Congrats :)

14. bluebone

15. Bull

Very cool!

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

Doesn't look half as rough as you made it sound, nice!!!

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Way to go! My .30-30 is a 1901 build, by Savage, so you got me beat on age.

I generally dislike the basic '94...but with that barrel...yours is a beauty.;)

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So what are you gonna do to it now?

Cut and thread the barrel?
    Barrel shroud ?
    Replace stock with collapsible AR stock?
    Mount a flashlight and a laser?
    Camo paint?
    Make a home defense special?
    Skull stickers?

What?

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ahhhhaaahahahahah!!!! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  20. duster066

I bought it to have it as is. But it's pretty nasty on the inside, and the rust needs to be stopped. I tried to tear it down but I can't get any of the screws to break loose, and I'm not going to force and make it worst. I've been searching the web for a 94 smith. I think I'll save up some cash, and ship it out for an assessment inspection. There is a guy who will return it to factory new condition for $3500+. HAHAHA! I ain't shipping it to him...unless it turns out to be special in some way.