Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Ohio CHL instructors, please just follow the freaking law!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  lklawson 
#1 ·
Looks like a few more fools got caught issuing CHL training certificates without actually, you know, training the students. :rolleyes:

Look you bozos, Ohio requires an 8 hour class. 2 hours has to be live fire range time. There must be a skills test and a knowledge test. Just follow the law. LE is paying attention, m'kay? If you issue certs without following the law you could go to prison. Students, if you "buy" a cert without doing the training and proving it with a pencil and a pistol (on the range), then you could be out your money and out your CHL and have to spend the dough all over again. It ain't rocket surgery. :headbang:

Details here:
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/por...uctor-scioto-co-sheriff-investigating-another

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#2 ·
People like to treat this stuff like it's a game, sometimes. The problem is that that kind of behavior can be used against the pro-2A movement. When guys line that turn someone loose with a pencil-whipped certification, they cast us in a bad light in the eyes of the anti-gunners.

Yeah, they don't like us or our guns, anyway, but we don't need knuckleheads giving them more ammo to use against us.

#3 · (Edited)
Through the years I have had over 60 hours of [instructor guided] firearm training. I plan on getting another two days of rifle training at a great firearm school within the next six months. Range firearm training is mostly fun. I recommend every sane American get some proficient firearm training from professionals especially gun owners. It will make you better.

#4 ·
Are you informing all the HPFF members that happen to also be Ohio CHL Instructors or just venting?

#5 ·
Bit of both, me thinks, as well as a warning to all and sundry elsewhere who are tempted to thwart the system.

Reactions: lklawson
#8 · (Edited)
You COULD call it civil disobedience, they simply WILL NOT COMPLY with stupid ineffectual, unconstitutional laws that go against our natural rights, exactly like our founding fathers finally did, no matter what the gov’t and courts say.

I mean seriously...are people in Ohio “safer” than us in Utah, just because their class is longer and requires time shooting? Does that law make them or us “safer” than those in a constitutional carry or “shall issue” state?

I think not. It’s an infringement, as are so many other stupid laws, and SHOULD not be complied with.

I hope some lawyers go hog wild on this whole thing, and blow it up until it forces the states AND the Feds to back their crap up, and either start shooting us, or follow the constitution.

#11 ·
Reactions: ajole
#13 ·
I don't know when you took the class. When the law was first written, it was a 12-hour class. Been reduced since then. While I think it is a good thing and would kinda like to see Constitutional Carry pass, as of now, the law is 6+2=8.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#15 · (Edited)
The law doesn't specify but most instructors don't count it that way.

Reference:
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/CCWManual
Ohio Revised Code [O.R.C.] 2923.12
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125
Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least eight hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training, provided as described in division (G)(3) of this section, on all of the following[...]
(e) A minimum of two hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training.
[...]
(b) An in-person physical demonstration of competence in the use of a handgun and in the rules for safe handling and storage of a handgun and a physical demonstration of the attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.