Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohio has rolled out an online web portal for FFL's and private sale firearm buyers to check whether the firearm is stolen or not. The system requires no personal identification or account to use and is free as well. The Ohio portal only lists those firearms that have been reported by Ohio agencies. This is something that the Feds should roll out if they want to enact any meaningful things to do with firearms. While criminals don't care if they are buying a stolen firearm, it would help to curtail and recover stolen firearms sold during private sales.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ohio-rolls-out-stolen-gun-portal/

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
I thought it was a good idea when they started floating it a few years back.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
The smart move would be to have this available nationwide, as well as Constitutional carry. Never gonna happen, though

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Here’s my concerns.
Obviously, they log IPs connecting to the site. How do they use that data? How long do they keep it? What do they associate it with? Who do they to allow access to their database and under what restrictions? What security measures have they implemented? Where, physically, is the data stored?

When someone enters a serial number, what happens with it other than it being used for the search? Is it tied to the IP address? How long is it stored? Who has access to that data?

Etc.

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
Here's my concerns.
Obviously, they log IPs connecting to the site. How do they use that data? How long do they keep it? What do they associate it with? Who do they to allow access to their database and under what restrictions? What security measures have they implemented? Where, physically, is the data stored?

When someone enters a serial number, what happens with it other than it being used for the search? Is it tied to the IP address? How long is it stored? Who has access to that data?

Etc.
Thats an easy fix. VPN

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
Showing my ignorance of alphabet shortcuts, what is VPN?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
Showing my ignorance of alphabet shortcuts, what is VPN?
There is this thing you can use to search things you don't know. I'd tell you to Google it but we aren't supposed to do that. But... never mind I'll do it for you.
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia
Communication Device Font Screenshot Gadget Electronic device
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
@moona11 - You are a wonderful SIL, especially when my dementia kicks in

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Funny thing about VPN, sometimes when I order online I get an alert from my CC company asking if I purchased an item from New Mexico lol.

I use Nord, but there are many others out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts