Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
29,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the House approved the Senate bill for no-permission-slip-carry and now it goes to the Governor's desk. He has 90 days to sign but I think he'll sign it pretty quickly. Signing Constitutional Carry was a campaign promise of his and he's running for reelection so there's pressure from the much needed "gun owner vote." He'll sign it.

Besides the no mother-may-I, this also revises the "duty to inform" sections, which has caused problems in the past. Now the requirement to "promptly inform" a LEO has been replaced with "Before or at the time..." a LEO asks and you "knowingly fail to disclose" is illegal.

I'm, honestly, surprised. I expected the House and Senate to drag their heels on this until after the mids. I figured it for next year, not this. Looks like I was wrong. :)

Off-site story link here:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,177 Posts
Good for Ohio!!

I know we had a Bill here in PA that went to the governor's desk... vetoed immediately damn Wolf...

We've had the good version of duty to inform here in PA for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: topper

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Good for Ohio!!

I know we had a Bill here in PA that went to the governor's desk... vetoed immediately damn Wolf...

We've had the good version of duty to inform here in PA for as long as I can remember.
fortunatly we get rid of that bastich this year. With luck, we get a Conservative 2A governor, bring it back, and get it signed this time. Tired of Philly liberals running this state.

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Our last governor was a career criminal…..I mean, career GOP politician, and he vetoed it. Listened to some stupid high muckety muck admin idiots in the city LEO agencies, and then essentially said “screw your rights.”

But the new one signed it as soon as the legislature passed it over his desk.👍

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Our last governor was a career criminal…..I mean, career GOP politician, and he vetoed it. Listened to some stupid high muckety muck admin idiots in the city LEO agencies, and then essentially said “screw your rights.”

But the new one signed it as soon as the legislature passed it over his desk.👍
'Swhat we're hoping and praying for here.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
'Swhat we're hoping and praying for here.
Your voting laws in Pennsylvania need to be put back to what they were before 2020. As you know they illegally changed the voting laws there so fraudulent votes could more easily be injected in with the real ballots and votes.

And here is to hoping Ohio also becomes a Constitutional carry State.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Your voting laws in Pennsylvania need to be put back to what they were before 2020. As you know they illegally changed the voting laws there so fraudulent votes could more easily be injected in with the real ballots and votes.

And here is to hoping Ohio also becomes a Constitutional carry State.
Little hope of that. Not while Tyrant Tom holds the power of veto. AND I hear Philly and Pitt have had.....immigration enhancement recently. Still, moderate - even some not so moderate - Dems are fed up with the shyte. Could take our state back - if we can keep Oz out

·
Registered
788 Posts
We've recently passed Texas HB1927 Constitutional Carry here in Texas. Went into effect 9/21. You no longer need a permit to carry a handgun in Texas. While I support our Constitutional Carry law I strongly urge those who have gotten a Texas License to Carry to keep it current and not let it lapse. Yes, you no longer have to have said license in Texas, but keeping your LTC current conveys a lot of benefits not covered under Constitutional Carry. Some of which are school zone carry, campus carry, and no background check when buying a gun, The biggest advantage IMHO is that the LTC assures legal reciprocity and Texas Permitless Carry does not. So if you have a TxLTC you can carry in states which have a reciprocity agreement. If you simply carry in Texas under Constitutional Carry and attempt to carry in another State, you will most likely be in violation of the other State's carry laws. Just food for thought...

Reactions: Rerun and moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,014 Posts
We've recently passed Texas HB1927 Constitutional Carry here in Texas. Went into effect 9/21. You no longer need a permit to carry a handgun in Texas. While I support our Constitutional Carry law I strongly urge those who have gotten a Texas License to Carry to keep it current and not let it lapse. Yes, you no longer have to have said license in Texas, but keeping your LTC current conveys a lot of benefits not covered under Constitutional Carry. Some of which are school zone carry, campus carry, and no background check when buying a gun, The biggest advantage IMHO is that the LTC assures legal reciprocity and Texas Permitless Carry does not. So if you have a TxLTC you can carry in states which have a reciprocity agreement. If you simply carry in Texas under Constitutional Carry and attempt to carry in another State, you will most likely be in violation of the other State's carry laws. Just food for thought...

Here you must be a resident 30 days to constitutional carry. Makes no sense to me but its the law.

·
Administrator
29,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you no longer have to have said license in Texas, but keeping your LTC current conveys a lot of benefits not covered under Constitutional Carry. Some of which are school zone carry, campus carry, and no background check when buying a gun, The biggest advantage IMHO is that the LTC assures legal reciprocity and Texas Permitless Carry does not. So if you have a TxLTC you can carry in states which have a reciprocity agreement. If you simply carry in Texas under Constitutional Carry and attempt to carry in another State, you will most likely be in violation of the other State's carry laws. Just food for thought...
The short version of the Ohio bill is that if you are legally able to gain the Ohio CHL, then it you will be treated as if you have when carrying a concealed firearm.

CHL has other advantages including skipping the NICS for FFL purchases, inter-state reciprocity, and actual (basic) training.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Chef Duane

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
The short version of the Ohio bill is that if you are legally able to gain the Ohio CHL, then it you will be treated as if you have when carrying a concealed firearm.

CHL has other advantages including skipping the NICS for FFL purchases, inter-state reciprocity, and actual (basic) training.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
How's this work for out of staters? We hope to be in Columbus and Daton/Cinci this summer. Gotta find out if I'm good in Ohio and/or Ky.

·
Administrator
29,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How's this work for out of staters? We hope to be in Columbus and Daton/Cinci this summer. Gotta find out if I'm good in Ohio and/or Ky.
I read through the bill yesterday and it doesn't say anything about non-Ohio residents.

My assumption is that it will only apply to Ohio residents because the gist of the bill is that Ohio will treat you as if you have an Ohio CHL, which is only available to Ohio residents. But we probably need a lawyer to tell me to be sure.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
I read through the bill yesterday and it doesn't say anything about non-Ohio residents.

My assumption is that it will only apply to Ohio residents because the gist of the bill is that Ohio will treat you as if you have an Ohio CHL, which is only available to Ohio residents. But we probably need a lawyer to tell me to be sure.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I checked the USCCA website for where I can and can't with PA permit. According to that, OH, KY,TN, WV are all good for me. However, I should probably contact the State Police in these states and verify this hasn't changed since 2021.

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
Seems utterly stupid that a law calling itself “constitutional carry” only applies to citizens who are resident of the state.

The way I see it, if you are an American citizen in good standing, that affirmation of your rights should be in effect. Period.

I can even see it applying to those felons who have served their time and are not on probation. If that were me, I’d certainly be trying to make that a clear statement of law on the books. Ex Felons can be necessary to the defense of a free state too.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Seems utterly stupid that a law calling itself “constitutional carry” only applies to citizens who are resident of the state.

The way I see it, if you are an American citizen in good standing, that affirmation of your rights should be in effect. Period.

I can even see it applying to those felons who have served their time and are not on probation. If that were me, I’d certainly be trying to make that a clear statement of law on the books. Ex Felons can be necessary to the defense of a free state too.
It is interesting that you bring up the felon thing. IIRC, during most of the 19th Century, once a criminal served his/her time, there were no restrictions in most places. Of course, at that time, capital crimes were much more likely to be punished with capital punishment. I'm not sure I totally agree with your premise in today's world, but I do understand the line of thought. Debit paid, all rights restored

Reactions: ajole

·
Registered
696 Posts

Where do you see the limitation to only residents of the state?

All the wording I see is "any adult not otherwise prohibited...."

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,014 Posts
Where do you see the limitation to only residents of the state?

All the wording I see is "any adult not otherwise prohibited...."
Its pretty common in states. Here you have to be a state resident for a minimum of 30 days.

·
Resident PITA
16,197 Posts
Its pretty common in states. Here you have to be a state resident for a minimum of 30 days.
Not in VT & NH. Anybody can carry.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Hey, hey.... don't get all logical and level headed about this!! We're not talking common sense here, this is about the LAW! o_O

Reactions: undeRGRound
1 - 20 of 75 Posts