ok beat me now flashlight-t-995

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by madmedic5, Apr 10, 2008.

1. madmedic5

madmedic5 Guest

I have tried the search and I am sure its there somewhere
    an tips ,ideas about mounting a flashlight on the ome stock of the 995?
    Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, being a medic I know all about (beating the dead horse) Thanks :?

2. Not sure, but I hear duck tape works just as well.. :p

3. The_Duke335

The_Duke335 Member

I asked the same question a few posts ago i got mixed answers so becareful because i can fore see Mullets and bigfoot and Heston and well a bunch of other this that have nothing to do with mounting a tac light on your carbine :shock: .....But i am in the works mounting atac light on mine so i will post pics for you when it is done :D

4. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    Here is how I mounted a flashlight to my 995.
    I took a couple small screws and mounted this small weaver mount.
    I used a scope mount to put around the flashlight and mounted it that way.
    (sorry the pic is so crappy :lol: )

[​IMG]

5. I bought a set of the ATI weaver rails designed for the 995 stock. It fits perfectly in the froward most recess in the hand guard of the stock(which also holds it straight) and it looks good all the way froward.

6. madmedic5

madmedic5 Guest

Thanks everybody
    looks and sounds like good ideas
    I am very happy to be able to get
    imput on things like this- but
    still awaiting the beating to come LOL :oops:

7. ytram

ytram Member

High Point Firearms sells a 3/4" accessory ring that fits under the Compensator (which they sell too) you can install a mag light on or a Beam shot laser ,, the accs ring is only $5.00.

8. madmedic5

madmedic5 Guest

Thanks Ytram, finding diff. ways
    now just have to make up my mind thanks again

9. madmedic5

madmedic5 Guest

bought the ati rails and now wait for them to get here
    Thanks for the great info everyone

10. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Also zip ties work well with a small LED light they secure tight and can be cut off if ned be

11. RandyP

RandyP Member

Depending on the intended use (hunting vs home defense) I am not a big fan of mounting flashlights on firearms. In a SD situation you are creating an aim point for your would be attacker, and you WILL be pointing a loaded firearm at your kid who made a surprise late-nite visit or dropped something in the kitchen in the middle of the night if they live at home.

But that's just my personal opinion and choice. lord knows there are folks who attach everything but a hibachi on shootin' irons. I prefer a hand held tactical light.

12. madmedic5

madmedic5 Guest

bought a tac light with quick detach if ineeds to come off fast

13. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

You don't have to have the light on the whole time. Additionally, if it is attached to the gun that is one less thing you have to worry about grabbing. I intend to attach a small LED light (very bright for its size and considering I paid $5 for it) which is 1" in diameter. In some cases it might never be turned on. In others, it might be used to stun a creeping BG. In others, it might be used to identify a target before firing (like if I have people at the house, or I am not positive where everyone who is supposed to be in the house is located).

In any case, on the gun is one place it will never get lost when I need it most, and attached to the first thing Ill reach for at signs of trouble.

14. madmedic5

madmedic5 Guest

yea ya got to use your wits-this a safe room-bug out weapon , I have many other to choose from for things that go bump in the night, and lots of other flashligts as well that are not mounted but I understand your concerns--this is for wshtf for sure Randy

15. RandyP

RandyP Member

And I can fully appreciate that everyone has their own very valid perspectives on firearms and tactical lights. My Utah CCW instructor was a big "no lights on firearms" kind of guy and frankly that WAS a big influence on my thought process on the subject.

Heck, I never thought I'd enjoy switching to optics of any kind over good old All American iron sights either but my 995 and BSA red dot changed that after just a few mags of 9mm went downrange! - lol

16. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

And yeah, one of the main reasons for me to want a flashlight on my gun is, like I said, because it will always be attached to the first thing Im grabbing for in a bad situation. In all liklihood, the only thing Id think to grab would be my carbine - Id probably even be butt naked. With that said, if I DO end up needing a flashlight, it will be nice to know that it is right there on the weapon.

Its kinda like keeping a flashlight or pepper spray on your key ring, instead of separate. Most likely you won't need them, but when you do you know you will have them since you know you'll have your keys.

17. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

To some degree I agree BUT we are talking about a longgun [carbine] it is kinda hard to use a hand light and fire a carbine at the same time. If we were talking handguns I would agree a bit I was taught to use a tac light with my side arm but I want a light mounted on my carbine

18. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

Just finished mounting my flashlight. The stock is too soft to get a solid hold into it with scews, but I figured out how to make it you.

Get a standard mount (looks like 1" long, with one slot that is offset toward one end), which has a "skirt" shape at the bottom (flared out), which is also too big to fit into the recess into the stock all the way forward (they recesses are tapered), then you set it into the wider (rear) part of the recess, and then tap it all the way forward (I used a screwdriver). Even without screws, the soft plastic of the stock deformed enough to probably hold the mount in place for quite a while (it would have eventually slid out, though). However, then you put the two mounting screws (they were small machined screws, probably around size 6 in SAE, size M3 in Metric) threading directly into the stock, and you have a pretty solid mount.

The aluminum rail set from walmart was about $7. The scope mount set was I think $9 (though it could probably be found for cheaper if you buy just one ring), and the light was $5 ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93712 ), so for somewhere around $20 you have a perfectly good light setup. I need to go get another of the same flashlight to put back in my vest, now.

[​IMG]

No, it wasn't loaded when it was pointed between my legs, heh.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

*edit*
    Actually, here is a link to some much cheaper parts:
    $3 scope rail:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/64669-8415-1946.html

$5 scope ring:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/36502-53960-1489.html

Search around that site (great online store, btw) and you might find things better suited to what you want. It wouldnt really be cheaper if all you ordered is those (shipping has always been about $9 minimum for me), but if you are already ordering something they shouldnt affect shipping hardly at all, so you could have an entire light setup for about $13, if you have a local Harbor Freight.

19. bikeman

bikeman Guest

Dude! Why did you cut your stock up like that? I did this with mine, of course it is too late for your stock, now. I have two things I would do different. 1. I would put washers behind my rail to make it stick up out of the recessed area. 2. I would use the correct bolts so they go below the notches in the rail. I knew I wasn't going past that point where my mount is so I wasn't too worried about the bolts.
    [​IMG]

20. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

I am not sure what you mean? I didn't cut up my stock to mount the light? And I didn't put any more screws than was necessary to mount the rail...?

Also, it looks like your light is mounted right where your hand would go when firing. Or am I not seeing it right?