Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As none of you may know...I recently took a CNA class to get my foot into the door an open up to the rest of the medical field. I recently just finished my week long shadowing at a nursing home.

I asked, and it cost roughly $5200 PER RESIDENT PER MONTH to keep an old person alive and miserable in a nursing home. I don't know who pays that, but I think it might be my tax dollars...well, not mine since I don't work. But yours an my parents possibly.

We had one resident there, both of his arms and legs were contractured to the point to where he was bed ridden, he couldn't move, talk, eat, or shit. He was unable to live, but the facitlity was keeping him alive by feeding him via a tube directly into his stomach and breathing with a respirator. He has been in that state for almost 1.5 years. This man was almost 99 years old too. And they can't pull the plug because "They won't let us" I don't know who "they" are but it's sad. Keeping somebody in that state, miserable, and fully aware of his state. Just to protect the sanctity of life. He never had anyone visit him, he got a two hour check to turn him in bed, and fed once a day. Other than that, he just lie in bed with the lights off, with nothing but beeping machines to keep him company.

And it got me to thinking, why don't we put down old/sick/lame people like we do with animals?

Saves money, and will end their suffering. Makes sense to me...

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I want to sign one of those papers that says that if I can't live on my own accord after more than a month or so to just unplug me and let me go. I mean at that point you are basically dead, some machines are just running your body keeping your brain alive. I wouldn't want to "live" that way.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
We do have something like that, its called Hospice. I already told my fiance if anything happens to me where I'm like that, dont keep me alive as I dont want to live like that. Quality, not quantity for me.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not pleasent.

None of the residents want to be there, one lady begged me to not feed her so she could die. Others tried to escape every time a door was open. I usually don't care about anything or anybody, and had zero respect for life. But seeing this changed me, I sympathyse for these poor people.

And how do you think the demintia sufferers feel? Who are unable to clothe themselves? And a big, scarey looking guy like me goes in there, and rips their clothes off against their will to change them? Or forcing them to take a shower. We had a little old lady in there, she was retarded or somethign...not right in the head, it took three of us to change her. The whole time she was screaming "RAPE!" So you can only imagine what she was thinking while we were undressing her.

I've convinced myself to end it once I get to the point to where I don't know if I shit all over myself or not.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
It's called a living will. In most states if not all now you can get one made up and sign it and if you become a vegetated state they will not keep you on life support.

I worked as a CNA in the early 80's but between the stress of working in a "death house" AKA nursing home watching these folks live the way they are and the discrimination as it was then considered a "women's job" [from the nurses of all things] I quit and was so burnt out I gave up on ALL medical fields even EMT.

Good luck on your endeavor and don't let the em get you down. Don't take the work home with you. You will see good folks in their final hours and their families as well. And if you feel like crying go ahead and let it out when you can it will help you cope with it all!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
The reason they don't do it is because its WRONG
NO ONE has the right to make the decision to shorten the life of another person
If the guy your talking about wanted to not have these things done then he should have signed an advanced directive or living will to indicate that otherwise you have to assume that this is the way he wanted to live.

But now that you mention it he is kind of a drain on society we really should just put him down its not like he paid into medicare and social security for all those years of his life and if he did well we can use those dollars to pay unemployment benefits for fat lazy guys to sit at home and play video games all day and draw food stamps, OHH snap lets kill those fuckers too. I mean really if you "unplugged" them aka cut off their food stamps and government benefits they would just starve to death, pretty much like. Oh lets not forget all the pregnant teens and other women who get pregnant and can't support the children or pay for prenatal care and the delivery of the child, it really would be more cost effective to get the old coat hanger after them, I mean legally it makes more sense if you follow the logic that suicide is illegal but abortion is legal then State mandated abortions make more sense than State mandated Euthanasia.

Yep if someone isn't an asset to society they have to go. Bullet in the brain pan and bill your family for the slug , hey didn't you say you weren't working right no?? hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep if someone isn't an asset to society they have to go. Bullet in the brain pan and bill your family for the slug , hey didn't you say you weren't working right no?? hmmmmm
Nope, full time student.

You make a valid point on your part. I just don't understand why we don't euthinize people when all hope for them is lost to put them out of their misery.

And it was from my understanding that this person had a stroke, and came in like this. It just came on, no warning and no chance to sign one of those will things.

·
Registered
602 Posts
But isn't half the argument against a national health plan is that we will let old people die when it's time for them to die instead of hooking them up to machines and making them immobile cyborgs??? You know, death panels, Sarah Palin in the news for a week now blah blah blah.

I mean, everyone in this thread just agreed they do, will or want to have the papers, saying "don't make me a cyborg", and Maaso, you are advocating that letting old people die "Saves Money"... WTF!!!

uhg.....just uhg.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But isn't half the argument against a national health plan is that we will let old people die when it's time for them to die instead of hooking them up to machines and making them immobile cyborgs??? You know, death panels, Sarah Palin in the news for a week now blah blah blah.

I mean, everyone in this thread just agreed they do, will or want to have the papers, saying "don't make me a cyborg", and Maaso, you are advocating that letting old people die "Saves Money"... WTF!!!

uhg.....just uhg.
I don't know about the Sarah Palin thing, I don't watch the news, nor do I know what a death panel is.

And my point wasn't to just "save money" I was saying it cost's money to keep a person who needs, and wants to die alive, suffering and miserable.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts

uhg.....just uhg.
I mean, everyone in this thread just agreed they do, will or want to have the papers, saying "don't make me a cyborg"

Don't be putting words in MY mouth as I NEVER said any such thing. I only explained to him about the living will I weant to be around for a long loooong time to be a really huge pain in the ass!!!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Unfortunately "living wills" or advance directives can and are over ridden by family members that refuse to let "momma" go. You can complete all the papers you want but when a live relative shows all bets are off. Whether it was your wishes or not.

I am a huge proponent of quality of life vs quantity of life.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
See, that's what sticks in my craw. If (god forbid) I'm ever sitting there aware, miserable, and unable to do so muck as take a pee on my own, and my living will, my solid legal document detailing MY wishes is overridden by someone, the first thing I'd do if I got motor control back would be to slap that person around for a few hours.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I want to sign one of those papers that says that if I can't live on my own accord after more than a month or so to just unplug me and let me go. I mean at that point you are basically dead, some machines are just running your body keeping your brain alive. I wouldn't want to "live" that way.
go to www.legalzoom.com and you can write a living will that is legally valid for about $65 if i recall correctly. legalzoom is acutally an awesome website, despite the fact that it was created by one of O.J.'s lawyers, Shapiro.

my wife and i used it to do our wills.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts

uhg.....just uhg.
i disagree...if they could find a way to make me a cyborg, i would definitely like to give that a shot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts