Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not doing this for sympathy I normally never discuss this stuff but the last straw just fell on the camels back and this is as close to therapy as I'm gonna get, so here's goes.

First off I will admit I haven't been the most responsible with finances but I have always accepted the choices I made, and we had things turned in a good direction , I had a good job things were going well. The first straw that fell on our backs was my wife being diagnosed with MS, ok pull bootstraps move on, We are managing it, then come the bailouts (please remember whatI said about my finances here) I knew during the come on everyone qualifies to buy a house we shouldn't so we did the responsible thing and kept renting, and then I hear for the pleasure of not owning my own I get to help bail out all the douches who didn't care. Anger building.

Then I get laid off from my job and have been out of work for almost a year now, ok we made adjustments and still made all payments on credit, car utilities etc. We don't go anywhere do anything like we used to etc. Of course the bank bailouts come cause they are to big to fail. Anger doubling.

Now these last few months (Oh also one of my dogs fubar'd her rear leg tore some tendon so she can't wak right,,ever and the other one got a rare diabetes so shes on medicine for life another expense, we adjust and do it cause we love em) anyway these last few months all our credit cards (please I know I shouldn't have thm or a balance but with no work they bridge some gaps and we've made all the payments NONE late) anyway slowly but surely they all have been jacking up their rates. Anger a lovely bright red now.

So what is the last straw you ask? well let me tall you folks ...CITI bank. Remember them? They got what $320 Billion with a capital BAILOUT?? Of my money and yours?? Well today ...and yes unfortunately my biggest balance is on there card, it was in the teens for the interest rate, today I find out they are "changing the terms" of our agreement , even though we honored it and didn't miss one friggin payment,and I now have the honor of paying these hat in hand bailout pr***s 29.9 FRIGGIN % . Ain't life grand? Anger blurring vision I want to break something! So what now? I don't know but thanks for letting me vent ...and hey thanks congress for making those rules and giving these a-holes all the time to jack our rates b4 they go into effect!

Again thanks. Rant over...Anger sadly unending

·
Registered
855 Posts
When it rains it pours my friend.... bla bla bla! Those words aint gonna help! No doubt you all got **** on! You have a sympathetic ear here. My situation aint even close to yours but ****** reguardless. I just had Bank of America close my account for "SERIOUS DELINQUENCY" however my credit score is almost perfect with NO late payments on anything. Im P****D about all this too! Just remember venting is what were here for. Spit it out and dont hold back. It almost always helps to talk about it!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
*sigh*

Words just escape me at this point... I won't comment further, as I have to somehow maintain a professional image as an Admin on this site. Right now, I am feeling anger beyond words...

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i hear ya brother. i just got notice on one of the few cards i use is going to 36.2% unless i opt out and close the account. thats because i make my friggin payments on time and they dont sucka crapload of fees and other BS off me. meanwhile, my neigbors who just got arrested for child molestation got 9200$ of stimulus money because they bought a house at 11% intrest and needed it to pay down thier debt. So what did they do? THEY BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR WITH IT! they have a brand new freaking hummer H2 sitting in the driveway because they had 9200$ to put down on the loan. they also get food stamps, welfare checks and thier daughter just popped out thier third grandkid.

seriously can we get to the shooting part already? im tired of all the BS dilly dallying around by uncle sam.

SW

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I just got notice from GMAC that my GM card (which I pay off almost religiously) will not only have an increase in interest rate but my credit limit has been cut in half. WTF is that? Not that I use the card, or carry a balance very often, but I find it offensive that they would do that, considering I've been responsible. I mentioned it at the gym last week and a guy I workout with has the same credit card and he got the same notice.

Thankfully, my Amex, which is carrying a lot more balance than it should be, has remained untouched.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Man this thread is scaring the crap out of me! I had a similar situation where I got laid off and have cc debt. I pay everything on time and my interest rates are below 10%. I wouln't know what to do if my cc's all of the sudden changed my rates on me! Id freak! This bailout for these dirtbag companies is killing the people who paid for it! :mad:

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
my wife works at sears, and she has a sears card. Its easier to do the necessary stuff to get her discount with that card, cause they don't honor our bank card with her discount. We pay the thing religiously and we got a notice that its going to 25.9% they are upping the the minimum payment x2. (not a big deal cause we always pay more than that, if not all off) and we got our credit limit cut. Not a big deal cause in the long run it doesn't really effect us.. But we have other cards and their interest rates are getting smaller.. doesn't make sense!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys it helps more than you know and it's funny and really cool that a forum I joined because I have a hi point has become alot more than that. It helps to have a place to vent and get support.

I'm sorry to hear it's so common but I suspected as much. What just infuriates me is that I have played by the rules, denied ourselves things because I was trying to be more responsible and I get punished for the simple act of doing what I commited to, while others (SW's neighbors being a case in point) abuse the system and walk away rewarded by our hard earned tax dollars.

Thanks again guys I appreciate it.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
I would just like you all to know... that come tax time, I am buying guns with your tax dollars :D

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would rather my tax dollars were used to arm every fine citizen like yourself and others here kevron then bailout companies that are "too big to fail" . :D

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
This is the reason that I don't have credit cards anymore. My wife has a Wal-Mart card, but that's it. We only use that as a way to increase our credit score on big purchases that we can get at Wal-Mart. What we usually do is just charge the purcahse, and pay it off before the month is over.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree Primal when I get a job (and I will!) we are going to pretty much stay barebones with an occasional treat (cash only) and pay these bloodsuckers off and keep one for each of us for emergencies that will never carry balances again. It will suck for a couple years but the reward will be worth it. As I said what really frosts me is I did everything I agreed to in good faith and I get hosed. but to paraphrase a patriot "Give me debt liberty or give me death!" I will triumph no banker is going to break my spirit.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
When my wife and I first came into the military, *I was still a civilian, and came into the USAF a year later* we had almost $30,000.00 in total debt. Just my old credit cards had almost $18,000.00 by myself. I have to say that I am proud of the fact that my wife and I are completely credit card debt free, and she has a brand new 2009 Chevy Cobalt that is paid for. She bought that car, paid the monthly payments for a year and then we took $16,000 in a cashiers check and paid it off. The only debt we have now is my truck, and that'll be paid off by the end of the year, and my 4 wheeler, which will be paid off once I get to Alaska.

Now, yes, we are going to buy a house when we get to Alaska, but I'd rather go into debt and have a home than throw all my money away and make someone else rich at the same time.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I'm not doing this for sympathy I normally never discuss this stuff but the last straw just fell on the camels back and this is as close to therapy as I'm gonna get, so here's goes.

First off I will admit I haven't been the most responsible with finances but I have always accepted the choices I made, and we had things turned in a good direction , I had a good job things were going well. The first straw that fell on our backs was my wife being diagnosed with MS, ok pull bootstraps move on, We are managing it, then come the bailouts (please remember whatI said about my finances here) I knew during the come on everyone qualifies to buy a house we shouldn't so we did the responsible thing and kept renting, and then I hear for the pleasure of not owning my own I get to help bail out all the douches who didn't care. Anger building.

Then I get laid off from my job and have been out of work for almost a year now, ok we made adjustments and still made all payments on credit, car utilities etc. We don't go anywhere do anything like we used to etc. Of course the bank bailouts come cause they are to big to fail. Anger doubling.

Now these last few months (Oh also one of my dogs fubar'd her rear leg tore some tendon so she can't wak right,,ever and the other one got a rare diabetes so shes on medicine for life another expense, we adjust and do it cause we love em) anyway these last few months all our credit cards (please I know I shouldn't have thm or a balance but with no work they bridge some gaps and we've made all the payments NONE late) anyway slowly but surely they all have been jacking up their rates. Anger a lovely bright red now.

So what is the last straw you ask? well let me tall you folks ...CITI bank. Remember them? They got what $320 Billion with a capital BAILOUT?? Of my money and yours?? Well today ...and yes unfortunately my biggest balance is on there card, it was in the teens for the interest rate, today I find out they are "changing the terms" of our agreement , even though we honored it and didn't miss one friggin payment,and I now have the honor of paying these hat in hand bailout pr***s 29.9 FRIGGIN % . Ain't life grand? Anger blurring vision I want to break something! So what now? I don't know but thanks for letting me vent ...and hey thanks congress for making those rules and giving these a-holes all the time to jack our rates b4 they go into effect!

Again thanks. Rant over...Anger sadly unending
I don't know if you know this or not, but I do not believe you are bound by law to accept those new terms.

I have a Menard's Card and they pulled that crap with me too. I had the legal option of accepting the terms or not. If I chose not to, my Menard's card account would be closed and the remaining balance would be honored at the original interest rate.

Look at the letter you received from Citi because they are bound by the same federal laws. They should explain this to you in the fine print.

Good luck!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep you are right hammer, and I read that last night and that is probably what we will do , there are a few things about that which also piss me off foremost being it still reflects on the credit I have rebuilt and I can't pay it off in a lump sum at this point in time,so it shows as debt load against income.

Also just for laughs let me quote the little flyer that was also in this letter, another reason it pushed my anger to nuclear proportions last night. And I quote the pamphlet entitled "The Benefits of Carrying a CITI Card" Remember this is enclosed with this rape notice they have just sent me. :cantlook:

Payment assistance.
Citi is committed to helping you manage your credit through this difficult economic time. If you are facing enexpected financial difficulty, we have a dedicated team that may be able to help you with special programs to manage your payments.---End quote

Are they friggin kidding me?? You want to help me? You are the ones who are giving me unexpected financial difficulty by more than doubling my interest rate because you friggin feel like it, not from any deliquency on my part. Opening this is like having a wound and opening a bandage and finding it full of salt. Experiencing sudden injury? We are dedicated to rubbing salt in the wound. This is what really pushed me over the top to be frank. The unmitigated gall and lack of anything approaching concern for a good customer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That sucks.

I've had pretty decent experiences with credit cards, possibly in part due to the fact that I have cards with 3 major institutions as well as a few outliers... I've probably got 8 or 9 cards (and have had more). The idea being that if any one of them tries to screw me over, I will shut them down and transfer any balances elsewhere. I closed one account with WaMu (before they got eaten by Chase) for some shady crap they tried to pull when their system failed to notify me that my payment was due and thus I wound up with a late payment. Before somebody says something, I don't carry balances on any of these cards except for one (0% transfer) - I just like having lots of available credit :p.

You might want to look into credit unions, Clark Howard is a huge fan of them, and being that they are owned by the members (account holders), they are much less inclined to try and bone you at every turn of the road. You might be able to find one that would give you a decent rate on a balance transfer from these d-bags so that you can end your business relationship with them completely.

FWIW I have a Citi card but don't use it and don't trust them worth a damn for anything other than their special transfer offers every now and then. Discover and Chase issue my daily plastic and I've been pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Credit unions are pretty neat if you ask me. As for the government.. Our crappy uncle rapes the hell out of me. I make 450 + dollars a week (8.00 a hour) then they go and take almost 100 bucks out in taxes.. I mean the whole deal, federal, state income taxes, medicare and social security.. which I doubt that will be around for much longer. Then I found out all overtime will be cut at my job, leaving me with just my straight 40. With my current tax rate... It'll leave me with about 210-230.00 a week. I get money back come tax time but that's not the point. Even if it's considered a "loan", I'm not too wild about my money going to feed these fat cats on Wall street. I'd rather save up for another gun or buy a flat screen TV for my Gateway 7400 server project project. (another post)

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Yeah, that is teh suck. Good luck with it, hang on, it'll eventually get better!

Five years ago my wife and I combined all our debt into one big pile and got on with a debt elimination counselor. Now we have paid off all the CCs and a couple of small loans. All we carry are our new house, my truck, and my wife's student loan. Everything else is cash only.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I have no debt. I owed the university $900 one time for tuition, but I paid it off within two months. I havent had to borrow money since I borrowed $40 for a set of new clothes when I started my first job. I paid it off with my first pay check. I live a simple life. I have a nice(enough) apartment, an old car(but it runs like a raped date), and only a few guns for now. But I dont owe anybody squat except for my utilities. Someday in the distant future I may want to buy a house but I know I dont make enough money to do that responsably right now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts