Ok, I give up!!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by demonslayer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. I have been trying to find the barrel OD of a 995TS as I'm looking into an AR15 front sight. Does anyone have the correct OD of the 9mm barrel?

I have looked in the forums and on HiPoint's specifications page.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

if you have a 995, why dont you just measure it? ive got a 4095 and 4595 dont know if they are the same OD as the 995, but, if you're buying parts to put on one, i have to assume you own one. break out the calipers or a mm ruler and just check it.

3. Lol. I have tried to measure but do not have calipers and eyeballing does not seem to work. However, I'm planning to do something similar to what you did with the AR15 carry handle and have two options. First--place the handle and an A2 sight on a 9.5" STANAG spec rail or use the AR15 Sight as pictured.

Attached Files:

• $_57.jpg
      $_57.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
  4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Honestly considering the fact it's a Hipoint I wouldn't be surprised if they do car a little so your best bet is to measure your own.
    With slugging a HP barrel people get many different results too.
    If anything needs to be measured I would double check with your own gun and not rely on measurements of somebody else.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

let me save you a TON of trouble. if the forward and rear sight are not on the same plane, you will go thru hell, and a WHOLE LOTTA AMMO trying to get them to work together. unless you extend the top rail to full length, and use matching A2 sights, you will have plenty of trouble. yes, you can eventually get them to line up and work but it is anything but a simple task to do, the way you are thinking. originally i used a barrel mounted front sight, but it took forever to get everything to work right. so, from experience, im telling you, its NOT the best way to do it.

6. Not even with an adjustable height front post? I did not see that with your build.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

look at the beginning. i started with a A2 handle, and a barrel mounted A2 adjustable sight. unfortunately, the sights had to be adjust so far that it just wasnt ''adjustable'' any more. i finally got it to work well enough, but it was anything but easy to do. to be blunt, it was a pain in the arse, and wasnt worth the trouble once it was all finally figured out. i finally extended my top rail to full length and added a weaver mount A2 front sight, and things worked beautifully. had plenty of adjustment room and had it sighted in with minimal ammo.

you just cant get the proper sight line using two different planes. ok, let me rephrase that, you can, but it will take ALOT of effort, and ALOT of ammo, and will leave you with no more adjustment on your sights. its truly not worth it to do that way.

trust me, extend your top rail, and use a matching A2 set of sights, a carry handle with a matching rail mount front and youll be in business in no time at all.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

well damn, its been so long since i did that mod that i actually just went back and looked at it, and realize i was wrong in my statement above. what i said about it, was really backwards. when i went with the barrel mounted rail, and the same A2 sight, THEN i got it to work properly, as it lowered the front sight just enough to get things properly aligned. the slightly lower mounted front gave me the right amount of adjustability to get a proper sight line between front and rear.
    i still have all the parts i used for the build, just no longer on the carbine.

i no longer have that setup on my carbine, went with a much simpler reflex sight, and 45 degree offset irons.

9. My problem is the stock rail from HP is "warped" and the only way I can get the sights set on it is to lean the front post sight to the right by .25". I won't accept that. As such, I was going through your post (until things turned ugly) and liked what you were doing. The only difference was I am thinking about taking the "double" barrel holder versus your "single" barrel holder since it is slightly taller and there is more room for adjustments on the sight post (plus better selection of sights).

10. Ok--went and bought a cheapo set of calipers--barrel OD of a 995TS is .0563 (9/16). Now, the barrel clamp-on A2 sight (Armalite EU0240MPKIT) that I want has an ID if .750, so--shimming is gonna be necessary. Since there is minimal recoil with the 995TS, I going to try shimming with a .500 ID X .750 OD black tubing from an old computer water cooling build.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I know I'm late to the party but you could have just PM'd iowatriker. Since he makes 995 barrel shrouds he would know the OD by heart.

12. Ok. All parts but the barrel shroud are in.

Attached Files:

13. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Are we going to start this again? I may be in for this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  14. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

A Joey Keychain & a Brass Staker right hand charging handle & you will be MODDED out?

15. People over complicate things.
    If you want to know the diameter of a circle, use a piece of string and measure the circumference.

c=Pid As in circumference divided by 3.14 equals diameter.

16. Why do the math when you have calipers?

17. Finished for right now until I can get a shroud from Iowa. I will keep the barrel compensator installed until then. Open sights are laser bore-sighted at 25 feet and ready to go to the range for fine tuning. I will need to find a place to laser bore-sight the scope for 100 feet.

Attached Files:

18. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

Sometimes even tenth of an inch makes all the difference. I'll stick to my mics and calipers. And because of that, I'd be sure to calibrate even a good set (Brown & Sharpe) with a proper master. Must be the German in me.

19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Welcome back Kronos.....!

20. Ok. Finally got the time to go to the range to test out the new open sights--didn't have time to sight in the scope so it was off the carry handle. After 60 rounds, the full size target (at 75 feet) looked like this. Ignore the big hole on the right side as it was a shotgun wad.

Attached Files: