Ok Nerds, I need help

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Newskate9, Feb 20, 2008.

1. My kids notebook..........

HP Pavilion dv2125nr - worked fine since bought. Recently, when shutdown, won't start up every once in a while. Then some more, then more, now most of the time. The lights come on, the harddrive light flickers..... then nothing, blank screen. Now same happens and the wireless model light stays on, whether on or not the modem switch is on or off. And, before shutting down this last time, he lost wireless connection.

I'm trying to turn it on over and over - as eventually this usually works - but not this time.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Sounds like a motherboard failure..........how old is it, as the HPs have a one year warranty. HP now has an online support feature so you don't have to call India to get help.......

Do you get the BIOS screen then nothing, or nothing on the screen from the start? So do you get the HP logo, then nothing, or nothing from the moment you press the power button?

3. Not that this is the answer, but it's the first to check, as motion seems to be an issue: loose connection. Open it up, and unplug/replug all power connections and data cables, particularly those to the hard drive(s).

If that doesn't work, let us know.

Edit: Poopy: I didn't notice the evil word "notebook". I'm not sure where to go with this. It still sounds like it might be a connection issue, but that's not something that you're going to fix easily in a laptop.

So: find another working machine, laptop or desktop. Get a 2.5" USB drive adapter if you don't already have one. Pull the drive, move it to the other machine, and back up everything important.

Machine fixes can proceed from there, but make sure any important data is backed up before you do anything else.

4. Thanks for this link........ this seems like it - I'll give it a go.

Crappy notebooks!!!

5. my vote is a memory error and or system board issue. Also a good thing to try is too hook up an external monitor, just to be sure the it isnt a problem with the monitor...just to be sure. But like I said, sounds like one of the two above mentioned issues. I'm not an HP guy, I deal mostly with Dell laptops and desktops day to day, but these kinda problems are pretty similar

6. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Sounds like it may be an active memory problem (i.e. your RAM is confused). You can usually reset it by pulling the battery, pulling the RAM DIMM's and holding down the power button for a min or two. Then put everything back together and see if it starts up. It's a pretty common problem so the HP site will prolly have more detailed instructions.

7. More input! Thank you......... I'll have more time to work on the machine tonight. I've been able to get it started up once or twice but problem is still there big time. I want to go through the above list again and see if I can solve the start up problem. Then....... I gotta figure out why the wireless adapter is no longer working - may be part of the same issue.

One thing at a time.....

8. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I know everyone's mentioning faulty memory and so on, which is also a good place to start, but have you considered a faulty power supply? Is it possible for you to test the laptops power supply?

Another thing which is a common problem is the power button as well. These buttons can wear out. I've had it happen before. The way you're describing it seems to sound like an issue of "power" to me. I'd look at those sources.

If you get it up and running, do a full virus scan, clean out your temp internet files, empty out history, and search. These being located under internet and browser options. Then do a disk clean up. Defrag your computer. Usually cleaning out the cache, and defrag will help clear problems as often culprits can be cookies and spyware that's downloaded onto your system.

Good luck!
    Squeak

9. The HP laptops have issues with power, but it's nothing you can really test yourself. If you attempt the memory fix and it still won't start, the next thing you can do, really, is to get in touch with HP and have them repair it. Laptops are a different bag than desktops......if you happened to know someone or had a way to get the same model of power supply (on the line with the power cord), you could try that out, but if it's a matter of a slowly degrading ability to start, I doubt the power situation, as whenever we've had trouble with power and HP laptops, it's a "suddenly nothing works, not lights or fans, and it was working fine a minute ago" type thing. Still, it's an issue HP will have to repair, as it is a replacement, or motherboard repair on the laptop itself. IF the memory situation doesn't pan out.

10. Sounds like it could be heat related too. My friend had a Dell laptop and it did the same thing. It was out of warranty so we took off everything we could without taking the laptop apart completely and blew air through it from his compressor. Left a good sized dust cloud in his garage. We put it back together and it started right up and has been running good since. Couldn't hurt to try if it is out of warranty.

11. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

A quick word on the power supply theory. It's not a bad one. There are a few simple ways of testing.
    1) Most have an LED on them indicating that they are on. If this is off. Problem is pretty much solved
    2) If the LED is on or it doesn't have an LED (I would still do this even if the LED is off), take a Digital Multi Meter (if you don't have one they're about 10 bucks at wally world and worth having on hand) and check that the voltage across the plug is correct. All will have the output voltage written on the "box" of the power plug. The one for my laptop happens to be 20V (15-20V DC is pretty standard). Most notebooks (with the only exception that I know of being some dells) use a cylindrical type plug. Inside the cylinder is one of the terminals and the outside of the cylinder is the other. Check the voltage across these terminals.
    3) If the power supply checks out, try removing the battery from the computer, plug in the power cable and try turning the computer on. If it does nothing, this is a good hint that the power cableis bad. Another on is if the battery is constantly charging (and you know the battery is good).

As far as the compressed air trick goes, it works (I have used it) but be EXTREMELY careful. Be sure to remove everything you can. Hard drive, wireless card, PC cards, etc. Truth is you can lift off the keyboard on most notebooks and get direct access to the guts. As I don't know the age of the computer, I will just give you warning to avoid blowing air directly at the processor. Some of the older ones get extremely hot so they have fairly large heat sinks attached to them. These heat sinks act as nice sails and I have watched an AMD processor get blown across the machine shop in our lab building. So, just be careful!

cheers,
    Kyu

12. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Newskate, when you hit the power button are you getting anything at all? Are you getting the HP logo to come up? An option to at least get into the bios?

If pulling the memory and reseating it doesn't work, I would lean towards the power on the notebook. Faulty power supplies and batteries on them can cause some weird issues.

Test the power supply with a multimeter, and also pull the battery and try to get it to boot just off the A/C adapter.

You could have a motherboard issue, or even a corrupted bios that needs to be reset. A couple ways of resetting the bios.

But let us know if you get anything at all when trying to start it. Help us make more direct suggestions.

13. freedom

freedom Member

OK my turn.
    Easy way to tell if it is a Software/OS issue or a hardware issue is this. And this will tell you every time.

On a diff PC go to www.Distrowatch.com and download a copy of Mepis Linux, or Puppy Linux.

Burn the ISO to a bootable CD and boot the laptop with the CD in the CD Rom drive.
    Be sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD Rom.
    The LapTop should boot from the CD and load the Linux Distro in to Ram.

Most Distros these days have drivers for a great many laptops and if you use Mepis it should have what you need.

One the OS is loaded play around with it for a few hours to see if it still displays the same problems. If it does, you have a hardware problem. If it does not you have a corrupted installation of Windows. And you may need to back up your file and do a clean install

14. ok guys - update.

Got it to start, did multiple scans / cleanings / updates to AVirus stuff, etc. Got it hooked up to internet via LAN and did updates, etc. Did windows updates, etc. Shut it down, started back up (more below) and it runs, and the wireless is now working too! All this with the battery out, to be sure the AC was working. I did the RAM clearing, all the steps above. Didn't do Linus yet, but maybe next step. Current situation is this:

A. Power. Push it once, all blue lights come on, fan starts, sits there and does nothing. Turn it off. Push again the SAME way, same outcome. THEN Push it once (blue lights come on), then push hard again for 1 second (no more, cause it will shut down), and it then starts up!

and.

B. I just started it up and used it for about 10 mins. Then shut down. Felt the bottom, it was hot. Removed the hard drive cover and it was HOT!!! I mean, can't-touch-it-hot. So I have cover off now letting it cool down.

I can't believe it's still alive running that hot - the case looks clean and the computer never leaves my son's bedroom. So not sure what the scoop is. Maybe tomorrow I'll try pulling the case apart further to see if dusty inside.

That's the news!

15. I still say send it in dude.......did you check to see if the warranty is still good? Overheating is a BIG problem that will fry it sooner than anything else. I mean, some of the laptops get pretty warm, but not "can't touch it" warm, and if it is going past the safety limits set into the BIOS, that would explain the shutdowns and non-starting issue.

16. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I gotta agree that it now sounds like an over heading problem. Unfortunately, over heating is often uber hard to diagnosis. Often it is that the thermal grease that connects the heat sink to the processor is dried up. I gotta agree that you should contact HP and check the warranty status. If it is out of warranty, call local shops and do some price hunting for checking the over heating issue.

17. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

Say, is the fan working?

18. Hey guys....

My dad is a "retailer" of wholesale comptuer parts.... Whatever you want, I can get for a % below retail, drop shipped to your door within 48 hours of order. Of course, payment must be recieved prior to shipping, but if you need something specific, PM me and I'll hook you up for sure.

19. Well, it's not in warranty. My oldest son's notebook died a bit ago and it cost him almost $100 to tell him what was wrong with it, then they wanted another $250 to fix it. It was internal power problem. So, for about $350 total, he bought a brand new one.

I'm afraid this one may go the way of the can too when it dies completely. I HATE spending another $200 for warranty extensions - it's like 30% of the cost of the machine. As you can tell, I don't buy very expensive models.

The fan is working meaning I hear it - I think next step here will be to take it down and make sure good air flow.