Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5.7 is a cartridge that somewhat intrigues me. Not a lot, but I do have some interest. The greatest drawback to me is that I am an avid Reloader. It is well documented that the 5.7 is a problematic cartridge to reload for. Still, my favorite gun shop purchased several Ruger 57 pistols that are slow sellers. They sitll have a couple in stock and I have been offered one at a very attractive price. I just am really not that interested.

Things may have changed. I just opened an e-mail that was received a few days ago. Ruger has just introduced the LC Carbine. A new firearm chambered in 5.7x28.

Will it sway me? Don’t know, maybe. The cartridge will still have reloadibility issues. Plus I have grown quite fond of my "poor man’s 5.7 combo". The KelTec CMR 30 and PMR 30 which serves the same purpose for me.

Trigger Air gun Machine gun Line Rectangle

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,225 Posts
The 5.7 is a cartridge that somewhat intrigues me. Not a lot, but I do have some interest. The greatest drawback to me is that I am an avid Reloader. It is well documented that the 5.7 is a problematic cartridge to reload for. Still, my favorite gun shop purchased several Ruger 57 pistols that are slow sellers. They sitll have a couple in stock and I have been offered one at a very attractive price. I just am really not that interested.

Things may have changed. I just opened an e-mail that was received a few days ago. Ruger has just introduced the LC Carbine. A new firearm chambered in 5.7x28.

Will it sway me? Don’t know, maybe. The cartridge will still have reloadibility issues. Plus I have grown quite fond of my "poor man’s 5.7 combo". The KelTec CMR 30 and PMR 30 which serves the same purpose for me.

View attachment 76616
Will the velocity of the 5.7mm improve with the longer barrel of the carbine?

Probably so.

Won't the 5.7mm carbine far out perform the .22Mag?

Shmaybe.

Questions you could provide by equipping yerself with said carbine.

Rerun

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the velocity of the 5.7mm improve with the longer barrel of the carbine?

Probably so.

Won't the 5.7mm carbine far out perform the .22Mag?

Shmaybe.

Questions you could provide by equipping yerself with said carbine.

Rerun
The 5.7x28 fired out of a pistol already out performs the 22 Magnum when fired out of a rifle. 27 grain 5.7 @ 2550 FPS vs 30 grain 22 magnum @2300 fps. I shoot 40 grain out of my CMR 30, actual velocity is in the 1860 fps range with energy calculations practically identical to the published energy levels of the 30 grain 22 mag loads, and some 60 foot pounds less than the published 27 grain 5.7 loads. 40 grain 22 mag out of the PMR 30 are some 120 fps slower than out of the CMR30.

One of my main concerns of the 5.7 rounds is the coated cases. The coating comes off the brass during processing. Everything I have ever read says this causes reliability issues as the coating is required for reliable functioning.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,225 Posts
The 5.7x28 fired out of a pistol already out performs the 22 Magnum when fired out of a rifle. 27 grain 5.7 @ 2550 FPS vs 30 grain 22 magnum @2300 fps. I shoot 40 grain out of my CMR 30, actual velocity is in the 1860 fps range with energy calculations practically identical to the published energy levels of the 30 grain 22 mag loads, and some 60 foot pounds less than the published 27 grain 5.7 loads. 40 grain 22 mag out of the PMR 30 are some 120 fps slower than out of the CMR30.

One of my main concerns of the 5.7 rounds is the coated cases. The coating comes off the brass during processing. Everything I have ever read says this causes reliability issues as the coating is required for reliable functioning.
Kinda like the Teflon coating on the KTW rounds of the early 1980's?

Rep. Biaggio of NY misidentified the KTW ammunition as 'cop killer' bullets.

Anecdotal info for those who are interested.

Rerun

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,401 Posts
Buddy just bought a P90. He loves it. He hates the ammo cost. He asked if Id reload for him. Thats was a big hell no. I hate loading 380 I sure as hell wasn't going to start something like the 57.

·
Premium Member
9,427 Posts
Maybe you ought to just be willing to have a cartridge in your inventory that isn't all that reloadable. On the other hand, maybe you'll find out that after you reload a few batches, you've developed some TTPs for making the process run more smoothly, and it won't turn out to be as daunting as you thought.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
Finally a carbine that is uglier than a Hi-Point!

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe you ought to just be willing to have a cartridge in your inventory that isn't all that reloadable. On the other hand, maybe you'll find out that after you reload a few batches, you've developed some TTPs for making the process run more smoothly, and it won't turn out to be as daunting as you thought.
I did stop by the LGS yesterday. She gave me a price $110 below MSRP on the carbine. That is in line I think, and there is a 57 pistol in the display case. Cheapest ammunition is Federal American Eagle at .85 cents per round. She also had FN ammunition on the shelf. $1.10 cents per round. Can not say that I am not interested because I am. But the math is dissuading me. If I bought both the pistol and carbine took them to the range with just the 4 loaded magazines with the cheapest ammunition, it would cost me $68.00. Would not be doing that too much.

As to the reloading, there is a coating on the 5.7 cartridges. The purpose of the coating is to help the cartridges feed. The coating is removed and can not be replaced. This is my concern and the reason for the operational failures of the reloaded 5.7x28. The cartridge is not designed to be reloaded. I am surprised they are not Berdan primed.

As to having a cartridge in my inventory that is not all that reloadable, I already have them. 9mm Luger, 223 Remington, and 350 Legend. With todays prices and scarcity of components (mainly primers)I can buy the range ammo for these cartridges about as cheap as I can reload them. I save my components for my premium rounds. For example, Hornady American Whitetail 170 grain Spire Points cost me about $1.35 per round. I am reloading the same 170 grain spire point for about $0.50 per round. The Winchester white box 147 grain FMJ range ammo is costing the same $0.50 per round.

What really got my attention at the LGS was another new Ruger that I was not aware of. The SFAR rifle in 308 Winchester. I did pay the deposit on it and will be getting the first one that comes in stock at the LGS.

A short video from Ruger describing the new rifle.

• Sad
Reactions: Think1st and Rerun

·
Registered
273 Posts
,I've been reloading the 5.7 and 22TCM for years now. As far as 5.7 cases, the trick is not to tumble them. You can use a sonic cleaner without heat and a little Dawn dish washing liquid mixed with Simple Green and water for no more than 15 minutes then rinse well and air dry I own an FN and am on my 4th Ruger pistol which they keep replacing due to reliability issues. Palmetto state now has a 5.7 that conspicuously looks like the Ruger for about $200 less.

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
,I've been reloading the 5.7 and 22TCM for years now. As far as 5.7 cases, the trick is not to tumble them. You can use a sonic cleaner without heat and a little Dawn dish washing liquid mixed with Simple Green and water for no more than 15 minutes then rinse well and air dry I own an FN and am on my 4th Ruger pistol which they keep replacing due to reliability issues. Palmetto state now has a 5.7 that conspicuously looks like the Ruger for about $200 less.
I do believe that some of your discussions about the Ruger 57 and your reloading efforts with the cartridge were among the first I read when I started considering the cartridge. If memory serves, I think you mentioned the tedious nature of reloading a cartridge where the margin of error was so slim that even an error of a couple of thousands of a grain could go from a bang to a KABOOM. That didn’t deter me. I have loaded cartridges such as the 25 acp or used powders like Tightgroup that were demanding like that. Also loaded Competion rounds where variances could mean the difference of in the money or not. I know that reloading the 5.7 will mean a step by step process where everything will be checked and double checked.

What worries me is reliable function. Not once have a read a article by gun writers (the folk who are paid to say good things) or a discussion about reloading the cartridge where the reliability issue and coated cases did not come up. I had thought about just washing the cases, but have read where even that caused the coating to be removed. I actually believe that @Think1st is correct and it’s a cartridge that maybe you just don’t reload for.

I have been reloading the 22TCM for the M22TCM BA rifle since 2018. Use the Speer 33 grain TNT and W296. Wanting to try Lil’Gun in the cartridge, just never got around to it. Have you tried Lil’Gun in the 22 TCM?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do believe that some of your discussions about the Ruger 57 and your reloading efforts with the cartridge were among the first I read when I started considering the cartridge. If memory serves, I think you mentioned the tedious nature of reloading a cartridge where the margin of error was so slim that even an error of a couple of thousands of a grain could go from a bang to a KABOOM. That didn’t deter me. I have loaded cartridges such as the 25 acp or used powders like Tightgroup that were demanding like that. Also loaded Competion rounds where variances could mean the difference of in the money or not. I know that reloading the 5.7 will mean a step by step process where everything will be checked and double checked.

What worries me is reliable function. Not once have a read a article by gun writers (the folk who are paid to say good things) or a discussion about reloading the cartridge where the reliability issue and coated cases did not come up. I had thought about just washing the cases, but have read where even that caused the coating to be removed. I actually believe that @Think1st is correct and it’s a cartridge that maybe you just don’t reload for.

I have been reloading the 22TCM for the M22TCM BA rifle since 2018. Use the Speer 33 grain TNT and W296. Wanting to try Lil’Gun in the cartridge, just never got around to it. Have you tried Lil’Gun in the 22 TCM?
Yes, I have had good results with Lil Gun . I read somewhere however that certain people believed to to be causing barrel erosion. I don't know if that's true but I've also had good results with TCM powder, FS11, and Enforcer. In regards to the 5.7, yes it's tedious to load and I tend to load on the lower side of the power curve and never more than three times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm waiting for the 10mm version of the LCC, looking at the design they should be able to get a heavy enough bolt in the thing, something that Ruger can't do with the PCC but many have asked for. Been staying away from the FN 5.7 in general because of the issues for reloading and ammo costs that have been brought up.

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm waiting for the 10mm version of the LCC, looking at the design they should be able to get a heavy enough bolt in the thing, something that Ruger can't do with the PCC but many have asked for. Been staying away from the FN 5.7 in general because of the issues for reloading and ammo costs that have been brought up.
I think you just might be onto something there. Ruger themselves have said no 10mm or 45 acp in the PC Carbine. The LC Carbine is over a pound lighter than the PC Carbine. I wonder if it can be made to fire the 10mm.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
I'm waiting for the 10mm version of the LCC, looking at the design they should be able to get a heavy enough bolt in the thing.
Build one. I built a 40 that takes Glock mags. The BCG is the same as the 40 for the 10. Just need a different lower for the 10mm/.45 mags.

@greg_r NEVER BUY THE FIRST EDITION FROM ANYONE ESPECIALLY RUGER!!!!!!! If Ruger has built one others are in the works from other manufacturers.

Reactions: Think1st and Rerun

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Build one. I built a 40 that takes Glock mags. The BCG is the same as the 40 for the 10. Just need a different lower for the 10mm/.45 mags.

@greg_r NEVER BUY THE FIRST EDITION FROM ANYONE ESPECIALLY RUGER!!!!!!! If Ruger has built one others are in the works from other manufacturers.
But after Ruger, none of the others matter…. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
What's the barrel made of? 4140? (not 4150) Is it nitrided? Ruger doesn't like to nitride anything IIRC.

·
Registered
56 Posts

The problem is the receiver design and blowback operation of the PCC. With the way it's setup you can't get a heavy enough bolt into the thing to slow it down enough for the higher pressure cartridge.

Also not sure if the magazine well is long enough for 10mm, which I believe is why the 45ACP is also not offered even though it's a low pressure round, although I have never really measured it to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
The problem is the receiver design and blowback operation of the PCC. With the way it's setup you can't get a heavy enough bolt into the thing to slow it down enough for the higher pressure cartridge.

Also not sure if the magazine well is long enough for 10mm, which I believe is why the 45ACP is also not offered even though it's a low pressure round, although I have never really measured it to know for sure.
I would dump the idea of converting a Ruger.

Heavy enough bolt? Do you know how to tune an AR? 9mm itself is too fast using a 3oz buffer. I had inconsistent LRBHO with my PSA. Heavier buffer fixed it. 9's are famous for breaking the bolt catch as is the .308. Why? The speed of the bolt. Buffers are available all the way up to 10oz. Playing with the buffer, and using a .308 buffer spring the tuning is a very achievable.

A Glock mag is larger in girth than their 9, and 40 mags. A Glock 21 is .45acp same girth as their 10mm. The problem I have read with 10 is the length of the cartridge. Cut an polish a feed ramp into the barrel with a dremel is what I did on my AR40.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Looking at a video of the LC Carbine breakdown, I am not thinking there will be a 10mm in this platform either. The bolt is a 2 piece affair and it rides over the barrel. It is a straight blowback. Don’t think they will get a heavy enough bolt in there.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts