OK to dry fire new carbine?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by flashinpan, Apr 28, 2020.

1. flashinpan

flashinpan Member

I just purchased my 1095TS HP carbine, new. Since any ranges in my area are closed for the time being, is it OK, if I work the gun and dry firing it several times per day which obviously includes charging it and pulling the trigger without hurting the firing pin and ejector mechanism, and also working in and out the mag several times a day.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yes you can do it all day every day

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    But wouldn't you get bored after awhile and go do something more exciting like loading and unloading your magazines?

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  4. moona11

I unload my magazine all the time.

SWAGA likes this.
  5. cicpup

Vermont
    Other than into targets and minorities?

fatal-bert33 and SWAGA like this.
  6. moona11

I was thinking dirty. But I was gonna blast gophers today on random gravel roads. Then it rained and is overcast. Cant a brother just kill something.

7. Vermonter

Vermonter Name of Dan... Supporting Member

You guys are too much. I saw a meme that was like, “I can’t wait to sit around a fire and grill some squirrels with the rest of the survivors.” I told my neighbor last week that it’s totally happening. I have a really groovy fire pit with chairs six feet apart. When they smell it, they will come...

8. cicpup

Vermont
    You Social Distanced your Fire Pit? That's hilarious.

Rabidwookie likes this.
  9. Vermonter

I’m a funny fucking guy.

Rabidwookie and harleyboy65 like this.
  10. cicpup

Vermont
    Depends. Did you do it intentionally to be ironic?

11. cicpup

Vermont
    So was I.

12. Vermonter

50/50

SWAGA likes this.
  13. Vermonter

Getting back to the original question... When I was a kid, my first guns were bolt action shot guns, semi-auto tube feed .22’s, and a bolt action .303 Enfield. Regardless of what we were shooting at the time, I was always told to NEVER dry fire a weapon. “You could break the firing pin, kid!” It never happened, and I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of it happening. It still makes me uncomfortable to do it, but after I clean and reassemble any gun it always gets dry fired a couple times as part of a function test. Has anyone ever heard of dry firing actually damaging a weapon?

14. cicpup

Vermont
    Rimfire - Yes
    Centerfire - No

Shroomish, adam01364 and Vermonter like this.
  15. Vermonter

Interesting, thanks. I’ll stare at some breakdown schematics. Makes sense.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Being the .22 is a rim fire there is nothing soft for the firing pin to hit. You know it pinches the primer material in the rim and it goes bang. If nothing is there it hits the steel of the breach/barrel and eventually loses the fight and sustains damage and deformation.

Glock, and Taurus(G2C and it's earlier variants) say it's okay to do it. Just not a lot. Use a snap cap.

I have also read some center fire revolvers can be damaged dry firing. For lack of a better term it hyper extends the firing pin(?) somewhere it causes damage.

Vermonter likes this.
  17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There are some centerfire guns made back when heat treating was a magical thing rather than science, that have brittle firing pins. So you don’t dry fire them. CZ 52 is one. The answer was to simply buy a newer firing pin, or use a snap cap with a soft primer substitute.

SWAGA and Vermonter like this.
  18. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I've used snap caps but after several whacks, the rim breaks so keep an eye on your snap caps. I've even used spent 22 shells, but the last one I used had some primer still left inside, gave the kitties a bit of a scare when it popped off!

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

20. moona11

I have a box of 22 dummy rounds for this and function checks. Don't remember the brand name but I got them from Brownells. They look exactly like real 22s but with a little hole drilled in the bottom.

I can never find them on the site to order more