OK! Yawl have given me the CCW bug.

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Gr8Xfatman, Jun 2, 2008.

How do us fat guys conceal?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. IWB Holster

100.0%
  2. Belt Holster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fanny Pack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Shoulder Rig

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I've decided to get my CWP. It's pretty easy in Northern CA (Shasta County). I had tried many years ago in Southern (CA, Orange County) and it was imposible. I'm going to carry a Taurus 2" .357 mag. I find that my C9 is too large for me to conceal comfortably. Now enough foreplay. Let's get down to business.

I need advice on how to conceal, especially from you big guys. I'm over 300lbs. How do some of our more portly friends conceal there guns?

Gary

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'm right in your caliber, I've found that as long as the cant of the holster is correct, the 4-4:30 location is ideal for me. I have an issue with printing with my RIA Govt. M1911... in a fobus holster. But my BERSA in a fobus, is ideal.
    What kind of holster are you going to use for your Taurus? I have found that when I'm "testing" a holster, It's best to take the belt out of the loops, put the holster on the belt, and place the belt and holster OVER the belt loops. Tighten the belt as you normally would, of course. That way you can just slide the holster around to the position that is ideal, checking every 30 degrees, or so... when you find the sweet spot (hopefully the holster isn't covering a loop) make a mental note on where the location is, and put the belt back on normally with the holster in the desired position.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I only have belt holsters, only because I've yet to invest in the Leather Galico IWB for the 1911... :lol:

4. I'm not quite that heavy, but my wife has seen quite a bit less of me! Any, as Mr. Stragerous says, look for that spot. I carry my EMP or M&P, in an IWB holster. For me, right about the 4pm position for some reason, the gun justs tucks in perfectly - maybe the only place on my body that isn't too "manly". I use a forward cant too, so it's easy to get to. I usually wear t-shirts untucked and with an IWB, they don't even have to be very long. You may want to spend some time at a good shop with lots of choices then try them there before buying. Good luck - it may take a bit of work but it's worth it.

5. I am 6'3" 260 pounds, with a sisable gut, IWB in all that works for me, but then I carry a RIA 1911a1 goverment. For a small revolver, I wouldn't know which way to go right now.

6. syst3merror

syst3merror Guest

I'm a fat guy (around 325 lbs 5'11) and I just use that crosman holster from walmart....I like it better than anything else I've found.

7. Don't worry, you'll end up with more holsters than guns if you're like most of us. Just don't ever ask if this holster makes your butt look big--instant man card loss!

8. OK guys, sounds like the 4 of you are holster guys.

I'm 5'8" and 315 lbs. I weighed 365 lbs. in January. I plan be down to 270 lbs by September. So what ever I choose can only get more comfortable I think.

Alright Syst3merror, you like the crossman holster, but how do you keep it concealed?

Strangerous, I'm undecided on concealment. That is why I'm posting, to find out how other big guys are dealing with this problem. I origionally wanted a fanny pack, but thought posting for advice from my brothers would help me make an educated choice.

Thanks for responding guys, I look forward to learning more from all of you guys.

Gary

9. Thanks NDS. I already know that it's my butt that makes my butt look big.

10. syst3merror

syst3merror Guest

as for keeping it concealed, it's not very hard for me because all the shirts I buy are from Casual XL and they are long enough to hang about 5 or 6 inches below my belt so it covers the holster pretty easily. You might notice a little bit of a bulge, but most people would just think its a love handle since I'm fat anyway. lol

Also, I live in Indiana which is an open carry state so a lot of the time I don't even pay attention whether or not its concealed.

11. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

i also shop there alot and I have no problem carrying my XD45 Tact. on my right side owb and usually my SW40VE in an ankle holster.

p.s. please S&W, hurry the repairs on my SW40VE, hard to walk without it on my leg

12. minidriver

minidriver Member

I carry a 9mm Taurus Millenium Pro everyday in the right front pocket of my cargo pants. The pants are not super baggy at all and I fit in at the finance corporation I am employed at. As far as I am aware, no one has ever noticed. Of course the method of concealment I use would be less useful with a weapon as large and weighty as a Hi-Point. I really wanted to use my Hi-Point as my main CCW weapon,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I just couldn't find a decent IWB holster for my 995 ;)

13. I'm 6'3", 295, currently. I've had back surgery and put on a lot of weight due to the inactivity, I'm usually around 250-260 range. I carry my C9 in an Uncle Mike's IWB at between 4:30 and 5. I don't even notice it. No one else has either yet. I can sit down in the car or chair and don't feel it. The only thing I have to be careful of is my shirt riding up over it when I stand or squat/kneel.

14. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    I carry at about the 4:30 5 position as well with a cheapie IWB holster. It wroks well with all the guns I have carried so far.

15. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    Hey, what are you using for the ankle holster, I just aquired a sw40ve and didn't like the IWB with my existing holster because of the squared off mag bottom.

16. OK, thanks for all the input guys. It's all been very helpful. I spent some time in my local gun shop yesterday talking with the dealer. He had me try different revolvers with different holsters. With your help, I've decided on a IWB. Changed my mind on the firearm though. After handling different revolvers, I've chosen the Charter Arms.
    [​IMG]

Gary

17. Okay, you've got me confused. I know, I know, it wasn't that difficult.
    But, I'd like to know why you mentioned Charter then posted a picture of a Taurus.

ETA: Okay, I thought you were messin' with me!

18. I posted the pic of t he taurus because I'm a dufuss most of the time with occasional eppisodes intelligence.
    Thanks, I've changed the pic.

19. crikey..... is there a program to this adventure????? :lol: :lol:

I looked and said, that's the right pic, what's he talking about... I need to sign on more often I guess.

[ NICE piece btw!!! ]

20. freedom

freedom Member

COB Holster or C Holster

That is, Crack Of But Holster or Cleavage Holster.