OK, You have 5 months to "Prepare", what do you do? <mental exercise>

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by undeRGRound, May 9, 2015.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    What items do you work the most to obtain and how do you prioritize?
    Most of us here have firearms, so assuming we have most or all of the
    guns we think we will need, what about AMMO? How much is enough?
    FOOD is a major item, what and how much? Assume a family of 4-5.
    Let's hear some ideas, guys and gals! I have picked 5 months for a few reasons...

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I gots to get through July, then ammo hoarding, and food stacking will begin....

3. undeRGRound

INDY
    What is going on up until July???
    My biggest concerns are remaining employed and earning a few $ buckseses

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    As far as ammo goes, a stock of 1000 rounds for each caliber is quite sufficient for hunting and defensive needs, while still leaving some for bartering. There is nothing wrong with storing more than that, though.

On the food front, it is good to have at least 4-5 months-worth of shelf stable food items. Don't get too heavily tied to one kind, either. Mix your Wise, Mountain House or other pricier nitrogen-sealed food buckets with good old-fashioned canned items, too. You will be able to amass a broader variety of foods for less money, and you will be able to rotate them into your regular meal plans as expiration dates approach more effectively than you can the freeze dried meals.

I like to store cans of salmon and chicken because they provide more calories and protein for better value per unit. I also like to keep beans and chili for the same reason. Of course, veggies are always important, so it is a good idea to keep canned spinach and green beans for their nutritional value. I also keep B&M canned brown bread. The carbs and mild sweetness in it will stave off cravings, while also providing fiber and the necessary variety to keep things from being boring.

I also like the Mainstay food bars for their nutritional composition and resistance to temperature extremes. The big 3600-calorie pouches are the most cost-effective, but the smaller 1200-calorie bars are better for packing and managing daily meals when rationing is necessary.

For water, Sawyer makes a variety of gravity filters that are good for 1 million gallons, and the folks who make the Life Straw also make a filter that's good for 20K gallons. If you get subjected to a boil water order after a flood or other issue, and your power or gas are out, filtration will be the most convenient option for providing potable water.

Unless society comes to a screeching halt, 3-5 months-worth of supplies should suffice until things normalize after a catastrophic disaster. If massive inflation has played a role, stores may treat you as a preferred customer if you use pre-1965 coins to pay. They have a known amount of silver in each, and you should be able to pay more consistent prices with them. Make sure to keep those on hand, too.

Finally, make sure that you have plenty of bandages and anti-biotic ointment, as well as gauze and first-aid tape. Don't forget about your pain relievers and stomache aids. You don't want to end up too debilitated if you get a bad batch of food or water.

Lastly, if you find that your neighbors are all going to stand in lines for MREs and bottles of water, then that means that they might be approaching desperation. Don't throw out your cans and food pouches when they are looking. You don't want them coming for your stores. The family down the street might politely wave hello if you pass them in the street, now, but if they get hungry enough, they will begin to forcefully demand that you give them some of what you have saved. Don't think for one minute that they will be grateful for a display of kindness if you give them some of what you have. It will just reveal that you have more for the taking, and more will show up asking for some, too. If things go for long enough, that one days-worth of food that you give them will be gone, and their desperation will return.

It's an ugly truth, but if you have not built a community within your neighborhood during the good times, then the strangers who live near you will not magically become your allies during the bad times. Take some time to get to know them, now, and try to integrate them into your plans. Lone wolves don't do well. Packs fare much better.

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Damn! I'm gonna need some more beer. See ya later :rolleyes:

6. Think1st

Florida
    Liquor might be better to store. It has a longer shelf life, doesn't have to be cold, and you get more kick per ounce.:cool:

7. tjulian

tjulian Member

And liquor has medicinal purposes. :)

8. Bull

I'm moving hopefully...... I've worked 36 extra hours the last several weeks, plus we just settled our contract WITH retro pay coming, so I've got my down payment pretty well covered.

9. Bull

Well if I move to the neighborhood I'm wanting, my opposite shift truck mate lives there, and between the two of us, we can hold off a horde....

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    For you I suggest Solar and a Battery Bank :D

Thanks T1st, that was a succinct and detailed reply!
    I pretty much need to concentrate on food. That is exactly where I need to
    concentrate my efforts. I have plenty of "barter ammo" and got the "real money"
    bases covered as well. I'm nearing the point of the finishing items.
    As SELCO of shtf school suggested, 1,000 Bic Lighters
    is better than a generator. I actually have both :D (not 1,000 but prolly enough)
    The med prep is very important, I have a good start there.

11. Buy a pharmacy, and send one of the family off to med school. Learn to weld, and raise your own food. Small game people, small game, get a high powered pellet rifle and about 10 thousand pellet, that should feed you until the rabbits, squirrels, pigeons, and whatever else runs out. Save the food stores as much as possible for when game becomes hard to find.

Talk to some old folks who went through the depression.

Forgot, hoard gold, silver even if it means selling the spouse, children. You can always look at it when your stomach is growling.

12. And is anti freeze plus fuel.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    Loved that first one, until you edited it... Silver is in my "prepper portfolio" but IMO it is in the proper proportions. A "form" of society will return eventually, and then I will be glad I had it.
    As for the medical end of it, all I lacked for a "First Responder" certification was an 8 hour class. I have done everything else. Having a Dr. on staff would be better, but it's a bit late. The Pellet Gun is a great idea, do you recommend a springer or a pneumatic?

14. As long as it has at least 1,000 fps it should take most small varmint game. There are a lot of other things that can be done to have food, and really outside medical, and medicine that is the most important. Might learn to eat a few things that otherwise you would turn your nose at. I have never raised snails but I have heard it takes 5 gallon buckets, and sun for algae. Buckets can be had for free, and used also to store water. You will also need plenty of bleach to treat water.

You can also use those 5 gallon buckets to bury food, ammo, and your gold, and silver. Temperature in most areas below ground are not above 55F, plenty cool enough to chill long term dry goods.

I would like to add that the Great Depression lasted 10 years, and that was not a SHTF total meltdown. People really need to understand what total shutdown is, no society, bling, will be worthless for probably 15 to 25 years, it not more.

I really do not want to rain on people's parade, but I have to be honest. I grew up around people who survived the depression, I spent a lot of time with old people, and listened to their stories. Most preppers are living in dream land.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  15. undeRGRound

INDY
    As for dream land, I assume you mean "preppers" fighting off armed vagabonds who wish to steal their food and weapons, and some even think they will oppose (and defeat) trained operators who wish to disarm them. The best bet there is to avoid and hide. Too much to carry is a bad thing, so that is where your "bucket list" comes in handy :D Most folks have a bug-out plan, and this is why.
    This SHTF will be different from the depression if it lasts very long, or if their is a huge government breakdown (or major changes) could make it worse. We won't really know until it happens. Prepare for the Worst...

Greatly thought provoking WW, thanks for all the input!

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Currently I have enough ammo and guns, well I will when I get my AR. As for food I keep a little over a months worth in the pantry. I have a small gen to run the fridge and stove (needs electricity for it to work even though it is gas).

Part of my unexpected payment is going into a 30 day supply of Wise (or similar) long term storage food. I am going to try to add to that every month or two. I am low on spam and canned tuna and chicken but a trip to wally world next week will fix that.

If things start going south we load up and head to the farm using all back roads. We can load the truck and be gone in under an hour.

My main goal is to avoid detection and hide as best we can. The best way to win a gun fight is not to be in one.

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

These are all "thoughtful" ideas. Like the man said, we won't know until it happens. It may be gradual, or a late night knock on the door type scenario. No one knows how long it will last or what degree of SHTF will occur. It don't take rocket science to know that it will be the end for countless people. I have this habit of reading posts from different folks after news articles of this nature. It's interesting to read what some people have to say. I do know from reading them that there are countless like thinkers out there, as well as those whom count out any type of gloomy scenario. They are fat and happy and think we're demented. They trust the gov without question. Woe be unto them.:foilhat:

18. Think1st

Florida
    One thing that needs to be done in order to really assess preparation requirements, is an analysis of what the scenario could entail.

At this point, the concern is that China's addition of it's Yuan to the IMF's currency basket could portend a further loss of the Dollar's purchasing power. The results of that are not likely to manifest themselves right away, but if there are changes, they would likely appear as higher inflation rates. Food and fuel are two of the biggest areas where it would hit. Commodities are a good reflection of our currency's relative strength, and food and fuel are both commodity-based.

While fuel price increase is tougher to mitigate without having a bulk tank on the property or a motorcycle for commuting, food is easier to mitigate. By focusing on increasing food stores, you will be able to offset the increased grocery bills. I was thinking that powdered milk might be another wise staple to add if you have kids who like to eat cereal with it. And speaking of cereal, that will also go up in price. Emergency Essentials has #10 cans of granola and, IIRC, oatmeal. Stocking up on those, along with your powdered milk will keep you from blowing too much more of your paycheck on Coco Puffs and Super Sugar Crisp. Your kids will probably be able to tolerate the change to an alternative breakfast food better than the loss of cereal in any form.

Also, ammo prices will most likely go up. Saving enough ammo, not just for hunting and bartering, but for regular trips to the range for meditations will be important. You don't want to get gouged just so that you can have your relaxation trips like we are all accustomed to having. Calculate how frequently you use each caliber and how many rounds of it that you use each trip. Have enough to last at least six months--in addition to the 1000-round minimum backup.

Finally, make sure to invest in a good home security system and door frame reinforcements, as well as cabinets to lock away what you store. If people get the idea that you have essentials during lean times, your place could become a target for them. You want to slow them down so that they can't grab anything more than possible while you are gone to work.

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have one of two places on my dead end street that is fenced in. One neighbor has a range, reloads 14 acres and 2 bull mastiffs. One new neighbor is a bible thumping cop who cast a jaundiced eye on me when I introduced myself to him. I was pocket carrying my Shield and mentioned my carry permit. He has 2 Schutzen trained dogs, and his working cop dog.

I am 1/2mi. off a main drag and 4mi. from I-40. Not good. Fence good! Dead end good!

My Golden is wicked crazy when it comes to strangers. She is going to be 10 in November. I have a shepherd/yellow lab mix who bites my neighbor over the fence, yet when I vacation he feeds them! I want to get another dog this summer. Hopefully a puppy of mixed genes.

Propane stove, lantern, and tent heater. 2 packs of 1.02lb propane are $5.74 at Walmart. If I told you how much of this I had......well, I'd have to waste a bullet on ya.

I am thinking of closing in the back deck and putting in a wood burning stove. I don't see that happening before Sept. My trailer is only 800sqft. Heating is a concern if the utilities go away. I have natural gas and a infrared wall heater that needs no electricity. It will burn you out of here!

I have a well pipe casing in the back yard. My neighbor told me the guy that had the place for me used it until is showed bad with a home test kit. He was big into glycophosphate (Roundup) I need to get a water filtration kit.

I have never had a problem with ticks, fleas, and chiggers. I think because the ground is too wet(?) Who knows.

Burying stuff here would get ruined. Everything runs my way and the ground gets saturated easily. Lots of springs in the area.

No mortgage on the homestead. I have 6 acres in Florida with a low monthly mortgage which I can let go if money gets tight.

Tons of rice. Although I prefer the brown rice, the parboiled stuff cooks faster (less propane) I have been slacking on the food buying lately. I need to get a vacuum sealer to package up rice and dried beans.

What to do about feeding the dogs?? I haven't figured that out yet. They can eat rice. I wish I had some chickens. Just the dogs would probably kill them. I found a big field mouse in the driveway killed by the shepherd mix. Rats are under the shed and in the shop. Tasty fresh meat!

Anyone know anything about the $99 for a month food from Patriot?

My next door neighbor has no guns. The family across the street has a few. I don't know if they know what time it is. If I go to the range my car gets loaded out of sight, and unloaded after dark late at night.