Oklahoma man shot, killed by police after fight over rescue

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, May 30, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

So, uhm, yeah....:blush:

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-man-shot-killed-police-fight-over-rescue-155420967.html

So, to be clear I do not mean this as a bash on the officers, but rather a holy crap, I can't believe that garbage that they have to deal with. I mean, they were trying to save these dudes, and got attacked for their troubles

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

We had a similar incidents with combative 'victims' during the 2011 flooding here. I got utilized quite a bit during the mandatory evacuations. One of our assistant county coordinators snagged a Deputy, a Trooper, and me to go door to door after some crazy person went after 2 firefighters.

3. tallbump

Rach, were drugs or alcohol involved?

In this article, I seriously wonder if there wasn't a stash of drugs in the car.

I mean, I have loved several of my rides and would have done a lot to protect them, but, it seems like this was pretty over the top

4. Rachgier

Not in the evacs I handled, but the chick who attacked the two firefighters was bat guano bonkers. She attacked the firefighters, was detained but released with a warning. Then we rescued her the next day when she tried to cross a bridge that was under water and got swept down river and caught up in some trees. THEN the next day, the National Guard detained her for trying to cross the police line and enter her home claiming her mother was flying to Idaho in 20 minutes and was going to leave her behind if she didn't have clean underwear for the trip.

She got transported for a mental health eval.

5. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Some people are not wrapped right...

Ran into that after the F5 tornado I was first on the scene to. I was storm spotting, saw the town hit(I had radioed in a warning but it came right down on the town) and went in to do whatever first aid I could. People fought me trying to go back into collapsed houses after pets... houses that were falling in as we watched!

6. tallbump

Ah...mental health, I should have thought of that. I can definitely see that.

Mary, yeah, I can see people running in after pets.

7. Rachgier

Adrenaline combined with an emotional reaction drive people to do crazy sh*t. Throw in mood altering substances, and it gets even further over the cuckoo's nest.

8. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

The only thing I can think of about this is that I sold my 65 Chevelle Malibu to a guy from that city back in 07 or 08; needed some money to buy a house

9. Rachgier

Update on the story for you Tall.

Officials: Man shot, killed by police shoved trooper

OKMULGEE, Okla. (AP) — A man shot dead after being told to leave a flooded area had grabbed a trooper and shoved him to the ground, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said Monday.

At a news conference, the agency showed a police video in which two men — the Fischer brothers — tramp through water toward a pair of police officers. OHP spokesman Capt. Paul Timmons said Nehemiah Fischer, 35, knocked over one trooper before being shot.

Fischer's father, J.R. Fischer, told The Associated Press on Monday that the behavior didn't sound like that of his son, who was an assistant pastor at a Tulsa church.

"When it came to being a Christian man, he was the real deal," he said near the site of Friday night's shooting. "He loved studying the Bible daily."

The other brother, Brandon Fischer, 41, is charged with assault on a police officer and public intoxication.

According to police, the brothers were near a vehicle surrounded by floodwaters in Okmulgee County, about 20 miles south of Tulsa. The troopers told the men to get out of the water, Timmons said.

Before the video was shown to the public, J.R. Fischer said it wasn't clear if his sons knew who had told them to get out of the water.

"If my son would have known that this was an officer, he would have never assaulted him," he said.

But Timmons said the video makes it clear that the troopers identified themselves as the men approached the officers. Only one trooper is visible in the video after the scuffle begins, and his gun is raised.

It wasn't known which officer fired the fatal shot, or if both officers fired their weapons.

The troopers have been placed on administrative leave, Timmons said. One officer has 8 years' experience and the other has 1 year of experience.

Troopers said they recovered a weapon belonging to Nehemiah Fischer at the scene. J.R. Fischer told the AP that his son had received a .380 handgun for his birthday.

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Until video is released no comment!

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Well the cop was being a total ass but no reason to push him. I wouldn't call it an attack from what I saw on camera.

12. Back2School

Back2School Member

Dude - Sometimes I guess I forget the crap that officers have to deal with.

I got to see it first hand Sat in Downtown KC at Rockfest. Some chick just reached out and hit a female officer. I got to see the officer take her down the whole time the chick was yelling "I never touched you". I saw the idiot hit the officer. Saw quite a few more just lining them up in the vans.

I am so glad I am far far removed from that world....

13. tallbump

Thanks for the update. That's some seriously weird stuff. Seriously, I can't make any sense out of this.

Ok, put aside the whole assistant pastor thing, as I know that not all "churches" and "pastors" are even close to the same. I just can't see what would make any person react like that. :confused:

The fact that he was an assistant pastor makes it even that much weirder

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I almost went.... And that's why I didn't....

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Still not enough information to make a fully informed opinion, but assaulting a police officer is never a smart thing to do.

16. Back2School

Back2School Member

Wife wanted to go and took her daughter to her first concert (she's 16 and LOVES Halestorm).

The show was great (Anthrax ROCKED!) but not worth dealing with the people. I was there as "security" for the girls. My wife kept trying to get me to loosen up till I explained why I was so serious - I was looking for threats!

Since I have always been 100% drug free, it was hard being there with everything going on. The wife said I must have got a "contact high" because I eventually did loosen up and started acting funny. Everyone got a good laugh at me :)

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I liked almost the full lineup.... Just don't like hanging around the drug s*it..... And the stupid lunkheads looking for a fight, or an ass to grab... You shoulda let me know you was in town, and I'da bought you a beverage of your choice.

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

'Nehemiah' straight up walks to the trooper and starts fighting him.
    No change in his gait or anything.
    Just walked up and "bam".
    Something weird going on there.
    But fighting the po-po is rarely smart.

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Indeed. I didn't see anything indicating that the police were acting rude or hostile to them. It certainly looks like those two went after the police because they were doing something illegal prior to the encounter.