Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supporting States rights by plugging an amendment into a credit card reform bill that states can determine if legal gun owners can carry in their national parks! Nice! Chris Dodd doesn't want it to kill the credit reform bill so it passed Senate we'll see what happens in the house. I love it when 2nd Amendment Senators beat the gun control nuts with their own tactics of stuffing bills with unrelated amendments  :D

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Not to jump off topic, but nobody has ever explained to me why being able to carry in NP's is an issue anyway?

FWIW I happen to work in a park. I've never felt the need/desire to carry. But I'm open to someone explaining it, other than the it's my right.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well one example I know of is this...

"While neither the U.S. Forest Service nor the National Park Service keeps precise statistics about crime on federally protected lands, officers and rangers in Washington say that crime appears to be on the rise in the backcountry.

That fact was underscored by the July 11 slayings of a Seattle mother and daughter on a trail in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, killings that remain unsolved. The shootings of Mary Cooper, 56, and Susanna Stodden, 27, prompted hikers and campers to briefly stay away from the popular recreation areas near Mount Pilchuck at the height of camping season."

Also there are meth labs and marijuana fields creeping into national lands, stumble on one of those and what might happen?
I agree parks are pretty safe but aren't most places we conceal in also pretty safe? Its not absolutely safe and do you want to be the small percentage that does run into an unsavory individual without the means of self defense? It takes the rangers a long time to respond even if you can call them.

Oh and also this...

"Two women who were hiking and camping along the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia were found murdered at approximately 8:30 in the morning on Saturday, June 1. The women killed were Julianne Williams, 24, of St. Cloud, Minnesota, and Lollie Winans, 26, of Unity, Maine. (See sidebar about the women's lives.) Shenandoah National Park received word from Williams' father that they were overdue from returning from their trip on May 31."-1996

Oh and heres stats for a few years...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2008/02/28/GR2008022800363.html

I'd say its probabbly one crime per million visitors but I don't want to hit that lottery.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Perhaps me working in the most visited park has jaded me as to the need to carry. That being said I do keep my pistol in the bedside table while staying onsite overnight.

I can understand those facts, and I appreciate it.

I've came across several grow spots, and a even more root diggers so I'll agree with that point.

Shenandoah has always been a dangerous spot, as pretty as it is, I avoid it all cost.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The judge ruled an environmental impact study was not done before allowing firearms in parks. Tell me this is not the same people we want running your medical.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
Environmental Impact?? They act like we are gonna set up shooting ranges there and leave casings all over the place...

DON'T LET GUNS IN... THEY CAUSE GLOBAL WARMING WITH ALL THAT SELF DEFENSE THEY SPEW!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love it when 2nd Amendment Senators beat the gun control nuts with their own tactics of stuffing bills with unrelated amendments :D
tacking "riders" onto unrelated legislation is a dirty old trick that i wouldn't associate with either one side of the isle more than the other, and it's not exactly something to crow about

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
The judge ruled an environmental impact study was not done before allowing firearms in parks. Tell me this is not the same people we want running your medical.
That pertained to the first passage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.