Old Bicycles

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by sambo42xa, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hey folks, here are a "few" of My collection of bicycle's.
    [​IMG]
    1939-40 ROAMER Rollfast. My Dad's first when he was 10 yrs old. Notice the blue plastic handle grip (red on the left sie). Originals were rubber but had to be turned in for the war. Oringinal paint and all, Except the chain and tires (and grips which my Dad put on back then).

[​IMG]
    1940-41 PEERLESS. Restored this also. Original, Except the tires, chain, hand grips and painting of the rim's.

[​IMG]
    1972 SCHWINN Manta-Ray 5 Speed. Two years made, 1971 and 1972. With the rear disc brake being on the 1972. My Mother bought me this bike when I was about 13 for $86.00, now these models (close to original) are starting at $500. and up. This is a keeper.

[​IMG]
    1958 COLUMBIA Fire-Arrow. Lady couple towns over from me had it outside of her house. Told me to take it, otherwise it was going in the trash. Have not done anything with it yet. Another keeper.

Well, I hoped You enjoyed some of these bikes from the past. Real STEEL!

2. Ari

Ari Guest

That brings back many memories..

3. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Oh, the banana seat!!!!!!
    I wonder how many playing cards and clothespins were used in any of those...

4. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Nice to see someone else has an appreciation for bikes that are not of the "motor" variety. :)

5. These bicycles are not actually restored. I go through them as far as cleaning;repacking bearings; lubrication, picking up tires and chains if needed. Then I clean the entire bike and take it for a ride. I just wanted to clarify this in case someone starts accusing me of false statements and end up knowing more about bikes than me (no name mentioned). :roll:

Hey, IF you like these "old" bikes, keep checking back cause I have more old "real STEEL".

6. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

Man, sweet pics! I love old bicycles :) I've been trying to restore and old bike that I have, but finding parts for this one is a pain in the butt. Since I aquired this model, I have only seen one of these on the web, and it was on ebay some years ago. Anywho here's a pic of mine (not restored). It's a 1959 Firestone 500! She's so purrrty :)

[​IMG]

7. Oneofsix

Oneofsix Member

NC
    oh crap the stupid things we do as kids!-my uncle gave me a manta-ray that was slightly beat up until I got ahold of it, then it was really beat up!
    sure does bring back some memories tho!

8. squeak_D, NICE Firestone! Got anymore bikes? As I said, here are some more.........
    [​IMG]
    1939-40? Somewhere around that. This one is a girls Columbia 20". Saved it from the Bicycle grave yard. Have not done anything with it ...yet. All original. Can you say....."keeper"?!

[​IMG]
    I beleive a 1957-58ish? Scwhinn "Bicycle Built For Two" as it says on the chain guard. Note the rear reflector, "Cats Eye" they call it because of its shape. Also the "straight bar" for the front rider where as later in the years it was changed over to the "slant" bar frame. Got this one really cheap..Shhhhhhhhhh. 8)
    [​IMG]

1930's Elgin, Ladies bike with the "skirt guards". Found this one in the trash. Pretty much a display bike for the flower garden???????

I got about 30 more too show but I do not want to take up more room here. Anyway, thanks again for looking!

9. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

The only other vintage bike I have is a 70's model Huffy that I want to restore for the wife. Plan on going all out with streamers, and flower basket. I've come across a few good oldies, but couldn't get the owners to let them go :cry:

Two years back I nearly struck gold on a vintage bicycle. An eldery woman had one sitting in her basement for years. It was her father's bicycle (I think he got it either the year or year after she was born). Anywho, story went.., he bought the bike, actually rode the thing maybe five times, and it had been sitting in the basement since. I went to take a look at it, man it was like time stood still! Before my eyes was an absolute mint 1937 Fleetwood Supreme (I think Firestone made it). Here this thing was sitting in a perfectly dry basement, out of the elements, no rust, scratches, nothing. It was by itsef in a corner, and was still sitting upright on the kickstand (a kickstand not like today of course, but the old style that folded completey under the rear wheel) from the very day the owner put it there.

The lady said she'd take $100 for it (I only had $50 in my wallet). I left to get more money (running and screaming for joy like a little school girl all the way to the ATM), then I get a call on my cell. Someone in the family caught wind she was selling me the bike, and well you can figure the rest out from there. Man, I walked around with my head down for a week about that one.

10. Yeh, someone in the Family got wind of it all right. Probably all apart now :roll: !

11. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

If I remember correctly the elderly woman's daughter had wanted the bicycle. I don't know if she kept it, sold it, or what. All I know is in its current condition at the time it was worth a lot of money! I'm pretty sure the woman even had the original bill of sale, as her husband was an accountant and kept records of everything. I really missed out on that one. You don't come across that more than once in your lifetime.

12. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

Sambo, you may appreciate the items in this pic. I collect antiques (been doing it for years). These are just a few of my things. Some cool info on them too.

To the left: 1934 Kodak Junior Six-16 (MINT-attic find) price: FREE
    To right: Earlier model of 1950's Kodak Brownie Hawkeye still with unused flash bulb, and one roll of unopened film.., price: FREE
    Center: 2 small tins.., what are they? Original Victorian makeup tins (both full) from the 1880's. Powder still has original cotton applicator and the price: 25 cents each
    Bottom: Two awesome finds. Both post-cards post marked April 1909. What's their beauty? Both have 1908 Ben Franklin one cent stamps with edges fully intact, and virtually NO post lines running through them, but the BIGGIE.., card to the right (did the research), the last name is McCoy! Sound familiar? Checked records, and this was one of the family members from the ever so well known feuding families (Hatfield and McCoys). Some of the McCoys were here in West Virginia. Price I paid for each card: $1.00

**Just to add, I also have the original box, plastic dust cover, manual, and papers to the Brownie Hawkeye, and the flash setup was an option**

[​IMG]

13. What you got there are very interesting peices. What do you think the cards are worth? Ben Franklin stamps sound nice too.
    Ok, NOW I'm going to have to dig out My antiques!

14. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

The cards are each worth $50+ (that's with the stamp and card together). The card with the McCoy history is worth just over $50. However, what's really cool about old cards like these is the cards themselves will often "outdate" the stamps. Both cards are from the 1890's (circa 1895-99).

I also have numerous other antiques. I like to collect old photos as well. I collect those not just for the snapshot in time, but also for the type of developing used for the photo. Another interesting thing about photos is that it wasn't cheap for families to get them done by a professional in those days, but the professionals would always have "old card stock" in their use. I have one photo that's from the late 1890's' but the card stock is much older than the photo itself, and the cool thing is the development process for the photo would have been considered "out-dated" for the time. So the photographer was most likely a poor one, and didn't do much business.

I also collect vintage items too. Things from the $50's to the 70's.

Sambo, if you like I can take a pic of a few old photos I have. They're pretty cool. I like how people didn't smile in those days (as most everyone had bad teeth-learned that when I was a young kid in school) Oh another cool note on photos. Dating photos (especially family photos) can really throw you for a loop. Many times you cannot go by the clothing as the children and even the mother often wore "hand-me-downs". It wasn't uncommon for the children to wear clothing that was at least 10 years old, so that can throw off the dating. It can get tricky at times, but it's fun to do the research.

15. Cool bikes. I have my Dad's old Schwinn (from the early 50's) apart in boxes- awaiting my restoration. Probably should have left it as is, but it was in bad shape.

16. 50's? Maybe a Black Panther, Jaguar, Corvette???
    No, really, Benny if you want to give it a new home....I have plenty of room here :lol: :wink:
    Oh come on, you know you're never going to put it back together :wink: :wink: :wink: . But I will (hint, hint, hint.....)

I take any old type bike like those and save whatever I can (parts;entire bike)and reuse them if I can. Clean them up and take them for a ride. Then they go in the trialer (40') I have out back where they are hung up out of the weather. Got about 38 bikes right now, some finished and some have'nt started. I don't sell them because some were given to me and I don't think it is right to make $ off of them. Plus, I just can't let them go!!!! My wife gives me looks everytime I bring home a bike, I don't know why :roll: .

17. Is there a good Schwinn website that has a bunch of photos si I can identify it?

18. Only one I know of is, oldroads.com, something like that. Once you open it, scroll down till you find "Picture Database"/ search by make; model; year, etc. to help identify your bike.
    As far as Schwin site, there are plenty, BUT I have'nt found one just for "old bikes". Try ebay and punch in "old schwinn" / "vintage schwinn", etc. Read what it shows on the chain guard too providing it is not all scratched up.
    Good luck!