Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always had a soft spot for the Old Hickory butcher knife. I have had one that lives in a replacement sheath made for the USMC Ka-Bar for many years. The Old Hickory sticker knife has put many pigs, both domestic and feral, on the table. A 3 1/4" Old Hickory paring knife was my go to patch knife for many years.

The sticker was replaced by a custom sticker that was made for me by a friend, the butcher knife was replaced by the Ontario Rat 7. The paring knife went to wherever it is that paring knives go.

About a week ago, Amazon delivered a package to me. Inside was the Old Hiflory Fish and Game knife. I had wanted a Kephart style blade for a long time, just never got one. The Old Hickory Fish and Game knife is a Kephart style knife. Looks like I was the victim of a Ninja Attack!

I liked the knife so much that I decided to order the Old Hickory Hunting knife, which is the 7" butcher knife shortened to 5 1/2 inches. It arrived late last week and I was able to spend some time with it yesterday. I like it...a lot.

Old Hickory has another in their "outdoor line" of knives. The 3 1/2" Bird and Trout knife. I think I will have to order one just because I like the other two so much. I was about to spend $120 on a Ka-Bar Becker Kephart. The $20 Old Hickory Kephart just served to remind that functionality does not have to be expensive.

The Old Hickory Hunting knife on top. The Old Hickory Fish and Game "Kephart" on bottom.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
I like that line Old Hickory knives with the wood handles. You have to be ready to sharpen more, but they sharpen easily, and the prices make them the equivalent of the Mora, only in an American style. Sometimes Chicago Cutlery is a good substitute.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like that line Old Hickory knives with the wood handles. You have to be ready to sharpen more, but they sharpen easily, and the prices make them the equivalent of the Mora, only in an American style. Sometimes Chicago Cutlery is a good substitute.
I have a couple of the Chicago Cutlery at the main house. They are good knives. Reminiscent of the Old Hickory knives, but stainless steel.

I did order the Old Hickory Bird and Trout knife. That will complete my outdoor Old Hickory set. They say it will be here May 15.

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
My Chicago Cutlery are the old “vintage” carbon steel. Didn’t even know they did stainless!

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found out that there are 2 more knives in the Old Hivkory Outdoors line, a large and small fillet knife. Guess I will have to add them to the collection too.

Reactions: moona11 and ajole
1 - 5 of 5 Posts