Old Tackle Box???

Discussion in 'The Tackle Box' started by Dubar, May 12, 2019.

1. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Here's some photos of an old tackle box my dad owned:

DSCN0328.JPG

This piece of sticker is the only identifying mark I can find:
    DSCN0329.JPG

The exterior is in good shape, except for some light rust. Hinges and clasps work as does the handles, no rust holes.

Here's the problem. Rubber lures/worms were left in the plastic trays and melted thru them:
    DSCN0327.JPG
    DSCN0333.JPG
    DSCN0335.JPG
    DSCN0336.JPG
    Does anyone make replacement trays?

If not, I could remove all the melted/dripped material and make new plastic bottoms to go inside the 3 small and 1 large compartments, or maybe make bottoms that go the entire length of the trays and glue them to the undersides.

I could also remove the trays and use the empty metal hull of the box for storage.

My dad dies back in 1998 and he had this thing for decades prior to his death.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    JB weld would fix them. Mold it up and smush it in smooth with the bottom of the tray.

You could also use epoxy, put something like tin foil under the tray, set it on a flat surface, and fill each hole with epoxy to the level of the bottom...

Dubar likes this.

3. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Good idea! JB Weld makes epoxy for plastics, might need 2 tubes to do all this.

First thing...need to clean it out, still smells like a day fishing!

4. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    good excuse to buy a 3D printer? :D

Dagwood likes this.
  5. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Yeah, but who's gonna draw the piece in a program that the printer can use???

I've tried a few of those electronic drafting programs ad sucked at them, plus my old paper/pencil drafting techniques don't compute so well :ohno:

Bertus likes this.
  6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Ajole's JB Weld idea was what hit my mind, too. I'd just add in some squares of wire screening material for the big open holes to help support it. You can attach the patches from the underside and smooth the stuff out on top and on the bottom.

ajole and adam01364 like this.
  7. Think1st, SWAGA and lklawson like this.
  8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I like those old boxes.
    I’ve got an old toolbox that I use as ammo box.
    Should have seen the old guys face when I brought in this rusty box to fit a new leather carry handle lol.
    I lightly sanded the outside and clear coated. Spray painted the inside olive drab.

Think1st likes this.
  9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Makes you wonder what is in the fake lures to eat through plastic like that??

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's the solvents used to make the worm soft and keep it soft...it makes LOTS of plastics soft, and it melts styrene, so you have to get "worm proof" boxes or bags, polyethelene or hdpe are the key words, from what I understand. A ziplock baggie will work, in my experience.

lklawson and Think1st like this.
  11. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Sure looks like the one, even has similar rust marks!

What ajole said.

It's like corrosion from dis-similar metals, tend to eat at each other.

Wonder how much of it gets into the water system as well as blood stream :yikes:

Prolly not enough to kill us or the fish.

Screen wire and JB Weld for plastics should do the trick! I may even have some epoxy resin left over from when I made some 1/6 scale tank parts, but it's most likely dried by now as that was years ago.

I'll fix it, but not sure what I want to do with it afterwards :confused: Don't fish anymore, but I do shoot so.....I may toss some of the plastic boxes I use for storing my cleaning supplies and put them in this.

lklawson likes this.
  12. Think1st

Florida
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest. The area below the shelves will work for bags of patches, lube, and grease, and then you can keep different sizes of eyelets and brushes in the tray compartments, along with the other odds and ends.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have a couple of toolboxes I use for reloading stuff. I outgrew the small one I bought. Bought a large one and am in danger of outgrowing that too. And that's on top of a steel shelf set that I use. What I might have to do is get a rolling tool chest. And I only reload for a couple of cartridges! I don't now how you true handloading wonks do it. You must have a second home dedicated to nothing but handloading. :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

SWAGA likes this.
  14. Think1st

Florida
    Well, I don't reload. I just have a LOT of cleaning supplies. I have one of those large MTM boxes with the lid that flips open for more compartments inside of it, and then it also has a tray that lifts out of it. It can accommodate tall solvent bottles with the tray installed, and I have stuff to clean every caliber in my collection.

As far as reloading goes, I do not have space for that. One of these days, we'll sell the current place and get something with more room, but we're just too busy for that right now. I'll tell you what, though. When we do, I'm going to have a dedicated room for all of that. I'm taking up an entire walk-in closet for the safe, ammo, accessories, and just a fraction of the cases I'd need to pack up all of my guns.

I don't know, Kirk. With everything that goes into reloading, I'm thinking I'll have to get one of those rollers just to keep up with everything I know will come with it. I guess that's why they call it a reloading "room." You just need that much space dedicated to it.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Huh...I have one 30” wide bookshelf with two shelves of powder, about 30” of my bench where bullets, scales, books and trays and presses sit, and a 4’ wide shelf above the bench with brass, dies and primers and shell holders and trimmers, etc.
    2 presses, 10-12 dies, about 14 lbs of powder, around 1500 of each type of primer, and maybe 1500 bullets and 800 pieces of brass of various types.

It’s tight, but it works. I don’t do more than 100 of any single load at a time.