Old versus new Tokarevs

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cktvt, Jul 7, 2014.

1. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm thinking about getting a Tokarev in 7.62x25. In addition to the various C&R pistols available (Yugo, Polish, Romanian, etc) there are new ones being manufactured by Zastava in Serbia. The price difference between old and new seems pretty small.

I know there are some differences between various combloc Toks in terms of quality and features, but putting those aside for the moment, how do the new Zastava pistols compare to the old C&Rs? My 2 main reasons for going with a new one would be:

1) It should have a nice shiny bore, whereas I assume the C&Rs were subjected to corrosive ammo, rode hard, and put away wet.

2) I'm guessing that a built-in safety by Zastava is better than a cobbed-on safety by some importer.

All thoughts, opinions, past experience, and advice are greatly appreciated. :)

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Only opinion and advice...buy one.

The Zastava folks built the M-57 for the military, they are good guns, these will be too.

3. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    You can get the 9mm's brand new for $200 jandgsales,:

[​IMG]

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

Can you get it in 7.62x25? :confused:

5. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Yea but their not new, will be at least thirty years old and good luck finding ammo.

6. cktvt

cktvt Member

OK, so the new ones are all 9mm. I didn't know that. Hmmm... Nothing wrong with 9mm but the Tok was designed around the 7.62, and I sorta wanted to get it in the "classic" chambering - like wanting your 1873 SAA chambered in 45 Long Colt or your 1911 chambered in 45 ACP. Thanks for the info.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So you are looking for an M-57. Good guns, well built, should make you happy.

Here's a few.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=M-57

8. Kiln

Kiln Member

Why? I don't see any real upside aside from better penetration, which matters very little because the 9mm's penetration is suitable for defense. Virtually every modern body armor that anybody bothers wearing will protect against both anyways if that is the main consideration.

Ammo is more costly now that the surplus 7.62x25 ammo is gone, there is a wider variety of defensive ammo loaded for the 9mm, and if you're a reloader then the 9mm is the obvious choice.

IMO the 9mm is the better choice in this situation, despite the platform being designed around a different casing.

No disrespect for the 7.62x25 of course it just doesn't make a lot of sense cost/effectiveness wise.

9. cktvt

cktvt Member

You're right on every count and your logic is unimpeachable. But for me, this really isn't about logic or common sense; it's about an emotional attachment to a gun. When I shoot it, I want to use the same ammo as Alexey Yeremenko did at the battle of Stalingrad. You know what I mean? http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608032357019421546&w=114&h=73&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

11. cktvt

cktvt Member

Hey ajole, I just found new Zastava M57s (yup, gen-yoo-ine 7.62x39 Toks) on Cheaper than Dirt's site. They're not very cheap as Tokarevs go ($249) but they're brandy-new like the 9mm pictured by HiPointArmorer above, and they actually have them in stock! After I get some bills paid I'm gonna find a guy with an FFL and git me one o' them bad boys. Then round up some ammo. With my SKS and M57 I'll be ready to defend the Motherland (or just do a little plinking). Thanks for the help and advice. :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  12. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'd just buy the 9mm and use my imagination. Congrats on whatever you decide. The guns themselves are definitely awesome.

13. Handloaded 9X25 would make a great small game round in a semi auto. Flat shooting and with hollow points a good varmint gun. With FMJ good for small game for the table, round should pass through quickly with little damage to the meat. Considering the claimed accuracy the Tok should be a great snake gun also.

Deer have been taken with the 32-20 which is the same caliber but vastly slower. I would not recommend it, but it is possible.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  14. cktvt

cktvt Member

I do have a lot of white-box 9mm in the safe...but not much imagination :rolleyes:

15. There's currently 3 Romanian tokarevs in my safe (one is for sale, btw) I've also fired that new 9mm one and a Yugo M57, all are excellent firearms at a hell of a price.

There's no comparison in terms of feel with the two chamberings, once you've fired the 7.62 you will scoff at the 9mm variants. Not to mention that it was an insanely fast pistol round for its era and still is quite formidable.

Why get one in 9mm when you can get a modern gun designed around the 9mm.

However I do want one of the M88 mini tokarevs in 9mm.

Point is this, if you want a tokarev, buy 2.

16. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    If you really want a bad-a$$ cold-war area eastern block 7.62×25mm Tokarev, I highly recommend a CZ52 over a T33. Better trigger IMHO and a more reliable firing mechanism, not mention the flames are just cool.

[​IMG]

17. cktvt

cktvt Member

Interesting gun. I just did a quick read on it. I had always thought the combloc transitioned from the T33 and its variants right to the Makarov (9x18) but nuh-uh, they went first to the CZ52, using the same old 7.62x25 round. I assume they're relatively cheap and plentiful like most of the combloc stuff that's circulating. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  18. TT33 is a stronger design, cheaper, and easier to find, not to mention smaller and lighter.
    Triggers on the Toks are very 1911 like, break crisp and clean.
    More reliable? Uhh, why do you say that? Because theres more moving parts for things to go wrong?
    Both have the same fireball.

5 years ago they were everywhere, now they are hard to find and don't come in nearly as cheap as they used to.