OMG, the Toddler Militia is coming for you!

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by lklawson, Feb 26, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

http://www.commondreams.org/news/20...itia-toddlers-handguns-kids-law-advances-iowa

'We Do Not Need a Militia of Toddlers': Handguns for Kids Law Advances in Iowa
    If approved, bill would allow children of all ages to use handguns as long as they are under adult supervision

by Nadia Prupis, staff writer

A bill allowing children of all ages to handle real guns passed the Iowa House of Representatives on Tuesday and is on the way to the state Senate, where lawmakers will consider making it legal for minors under 14 to have "a pistol, revolver or the ammunition" under parental supervision.

The bill passed 62-36 in the state House. Rep. Kirsten Running-Marquardt, a Democrat who voted against the bill, told local media that the bill "allows for one-year-olds, two-year-olds, three-year-olds, four-year-olds to operate handguns."

"We do not need a militia of toddlers," Running-Marquardt said.

Currently, children in Iowa can use shotguns and long guns while under adult supervision, but not handguns. The bill would allow them to do so as long as the parents are at least 21 years old and maintain "visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person."

Rev. Cheryl Thomas, policy director at Iowans for Gun Safety, said the bill was designed to weaken the state's gun laws. The advocacy group petitioned the House on Monday, urging lawmakers to reject the bill.

Last week, the gun control advocacy group Violence Policy Center released a report that found the firearms industry is advertising to children as young as grade-school age "for financial and political gain."

"As household gun ownership has steadily declined and the primary gun market of white males continues to age, the firearms industry has set its sights on America’s children," the report states. "Much like the tobacco industry’s search for replacement smokers, the gun industry is seeking replacement shooters."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Someone has his/her head firmly implanted in his/her rectum. DECLINING gun sales??? Where? What I don't get is the law itself. In my area, kids shoot all the time under supervision. My girls started a age six (E was actually 2 1/2). So why is a law needed to allow parents to be parents? Am I missing something Kirk?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good info, Kirk!

Some states don't allow minors to handle pistols, they already HAVE a law that restricts freedom...this would fix that.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    TODDLER MILITIA!!! :dance:
    Gett'em started YOUNG, Gett'em started RIGHT!

Potty Training and then 1911s :D In that order,
    just to minimize "accidents" of the messy type :rofl: ;)

6. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

A problem will likely happen when this gets to our Senate here in Iowa.
    Democrat controlled! :( Majority leader there said he may not even put it up for a vote. :mad:

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

This would piss off my kids. They love shooting Their pistols.

8. rickm

rickm Member

Hell as far as i know we dont even have a law saying kids can or cant shoot at a early age here. I know i was a late bloomer and started at around 6 myself, cause we lived in town up til then and moved out into country and can never remember not having a gun of some sort available to me when i wanted to go roaming the woods.

9. OldOutlaw

I think few here in Iowa realized there is a law prohibiting. But, it is out now that there is. The Dems in the Senate here will likely kill it. Then, they will begin to enforce it.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    But you're in the Wild Wild WEST! :eek: :D

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-iowa-legislation-on-youth-handgun-possession

Gun Control Supporters Distort Iowa Legislation on Youth Handgun Possession
    Friday, March 4, 2016

Willful ignorance of firearm function, culture, and law are well-known characteristics of the gun control movement. However, the principals in a recently manufactured controversy, surrounding legislation in Iowa that would allow properly supervised youth to use handguns for the shooting sports, have shown a particular disregard for the facts and prevailing law.

Current Iowa law makes it a misdemeanor to transfer a handgun to those under the age of 21, with a few exceptions. A parent, guardian, or spouse over 21 may allow those ages 14-20 to possess a handgun while the minor is under their direct supervision, or while receiving instruction. Iowa has a blanket prohibition on handgun possession for all those under 14, regardless of parental supervision. Current law even prevents those under 14 from engaging in traditional handgun safety instruction.

This restriction is significantly out-of-step with the vast majority of the country; including some of the most anti-gun jurisdictions. While the various states have different contours dealing with youth handgun possession, a cursory look at Iowa’s immediate neighbors proves instructive.

Take for instance Iowa’s neighbor, Illinois. The Land of Lincoln allows those under 18 to participate in “lawful recreational activity” using a handgun, while in the custody or control of a parent or guardian with a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card. Similarly, Wisconsin, allows those under 18 to participate in “target practice under the supervision of an adult or in a course of instruction in the traditional and proper use of the dangerous weapon under the supervision of an adult.”

In Minnesota, those under 18 may possess a handgun “in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of the person's parent or guardian.” Nebraska law makes clear that their restriction on the possession of handguns by those under 18 does not apply to the “temporary loan of handguns for instruction under the immediate supervision of a parent or guardian or adult instructor.”

South Dakota law bars handgun possession by those under 18, but provides exceptions for youth in certain circumstances with the consent of their parent or guardian. Missouri prohibits transferring a firearm to those under 18 without consent of the minor’s parent or guardian.

These state laws properly place with parents the right and responsibility for determining when a young person is mature enough to safely handle a handgun.

NRA is supporting legislation to bring Iowa law in line with the rest of the country. House File 2281, the Youth Safety & Parental Rights Act, allows those under 21 to possess a handgun while under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or spouse, or when receiving instruction. The legislation holds the parent or guardian strictly liable for any damages. It is important to note that under this legislation, Iowa law would still be more restrictive than much of the nation, as persons ages 18-20 would still require supervision in order to possess a handgun. H.F. 2281 was passed by the Iowa House on February 23, and is now being considered by the state Senate.

Unfortunately, from reading accounts in the mainstream press about this simple fix to Iowa law, one might get the impression that the Hawkeye State is about to resemble Lord of the Flies.

Iowa State Rep. Kirsten Running-Marquardt did her part in the fear-mongering campaign with absurd comments reported by Des Moines CBS affiliate KCCI. The news outlet quoted Running-Marquardt as stating, “What this bill does, the bill before us, allows for 1-year-olds, 2-year-olds, 3-year-olds, 4-year-olds to operate handguns. We do not need a militia of toddlers. We do not have handguns that I am aware of that fit the hands of a 1- or 2-year-old.”

Shortly after the bill’s passage in the House, the national anti-gun media felt compelled to weigh in. Syndicated anti-gun columnist Dan K. Thomasson called the legislative fix “insanity” and accused the “gun lobby” of “bringing up baby in the sacred gun culture.” In his rambling hyperbole-filled screed, the writer managed to attack the mundane proposal using ridiculous references to 1930s gangster John Dillinger and “African rebel armies… made up of AK-47 carrying children as young as 9 or 10.” Media outlets have run stories with deliberately misleading headlines, such as “Iowa Lawmakers Approve Bill That Would Let Kids Have Handguns,” and “Iowa Legislature Debates Giving Handguns to Children.” Such stories fail to recognize the prevailing law throughout the country.

The opponents of this legislative fix are hoping that those unfamiliar with firearms law will have a knee-jerk reaction to a salacious headline about kids in Iowa owning handguns. It is up to NRA members to help explain to others how this legislation brings Iowa in accordance with prevailing national standards, and how the gun control movement and a willing media thrive on ignorance.​

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Take their kids shooting just to piss them off when the kids tell them. I want a gun:-D

13. OldOutlaw

NRA and Shooting Sports have emailed as many of us as they can with links to our Senators. I just came from the range and it was being discussed heavily there.
    Ours is an NRA Certified Range. We have many youth classes and functions over a years time. ALL FREE to the kids. We know it would be great to start teaching youngsters the right way with pistols. But, unless this passes, we are still prohibited from doing so legally.

Looks like a lot of email went to the Senate in last day or two!