On the second day of... oh wait wrong month

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sonic2wb, Jan 2, 2015.

1. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

Got a call from my new favorite contact in my phone ( range/gun shop) that my 10rd magazine finally came in so yay an excuse to goto the range!

[​IMG]

Has anyone used this ammo? It was on sale at academy sports for $10 a box so i grabbed 4

2. sonic2wb

sonic2wb Member

[​IMG]

I forgot to upload the image lol

3. Back2School

Back2School Member

I have had good success with the Monarch. Nice and cheap as well. I know its Academy's house brand, just not sure who makes it for them...

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Monarch is made by PPU as is the Herters. It is good ammo and I use a lot of it.

5. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Monarch is good ammo

I've used Monarch 9mm brass by the ton and never had an issue.

6. PPU is good stuff. Plus they make some oddball calibers.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Like the 7.62 Nagant out of brass so you can reload.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Real Men know how to reload steel, Just Sayin' :rolleyes:

9. moona11

You don't even reload so you are not a man or even close :p . And I do reload steel. You ass watcher :-D .

10. moona11

Reloading steel takes a lot more work. Cutting copper tubing and swag into primer pocket after you drill out the anvil in the steel case. Grind off excess copper. Removing old primers is a pain even with primer puller. I cut about 400 little copper tubing about 1/4 inch the other day with small tubing cutter hands still hurt. Tried a dremel but its not as clean cut.

11. undeRGRound

INDY

I did the research on this, so I will be a real man when I grow up! :p:p:p

Do you use carbide dies, or just lube the heck outta them?
    Can you find the proper .311 bullets, or do you cast them?
    Enquiring Minds Want To KNOW! :D

12. moona11

Lee carbide dies and still lots of lube. One shot sucks and causes a lot of cases getting stuck. You can get bullets from midway or extreme has them now to. I leave casting alone. Copper coated are pretty close to lead bullets. To cased you need to buy more stuff and get lead.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    Your next-door-neighbor MaryB does some bullet casting. Her 9mm stuff is beautiful! I got some directions from a newer HPFF'er, for powdercoating bullets. Very good and detailed! He said I can share them :D

14. moona11

I cast for bullets online with credit card :-D

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I move way too frequently to be able to get into reloading, but I have done a little reloading with a friend in the past. With that in mind, understand why I am asking what might sound like simple-minded questions.

Do you have to use lead bullets because the case mouths on steel cases don't expand to allow proper seating of regular copper-jacketed bullets?

Also, given the harder material of steel cases, are they good for more uses than brass cases after you've treated the primer pockets?

16. moona11

I use copper or jacketed only sorry for confusion. Can use steel about 3 to 5 times if loading light to mid. Full load once or twice max. On 7.62X54R military steel ammo they used bregain primers which are larger the American boxer primers so you have the make the priming pocket smaller. There is a good YouTube video on it.

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    Updates on reloading steel cases ;)

18. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

This is good to know. I have a thousand rounds of steel cased .223, and will save them now to reload (hopefully). They are Golden Bear, and have that coating on them. I understand that that can cause a problem reloading, though. Is this correct?

19. foxytwo

foxytwo Member

I have never had a problem with that ammo, shot a lot of it.

20. Shooting steel case isn't quite the same as reloading steel case. :eek: