Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite reloading press designs is the “C” style press. Maybe because the Lyman Spartan press was one of the presses I cut my teeth on. They have advantages. Unfettered access, short stroke, etc. and one drawback. Rigidity. To be clear, I have done "light duty" case forming on the C style presses, but when I have 1000 7.62 brass fired out of a machine gun, the Pacific Multi Power gets attached to the bench!

One of my favorite presses was the Lee Reloader "C" style press. I have loaded lots of rounds on one. And it is a handy press just to have around for various light duty tasks. Depriming , cast bullet swaging, bullet seating, a lot of my 300 blackout brass was formed on the Lee Reloader. However when I tried to form a 30 Badger case from a 357 Magnum case with the little Lee press, I thought for sure I was going to break the little press. The one fault I had with the little Lee press was that it was made out of hollow cast aluminum. I assays wanted a Lee Classic Cast Reloader Press. Unfortunately Lee has never seen fit to make one. I eventually sold my Lee Reloader press, and have pretty much regretted it ever since.

But Lyman heard my call for a cast iron C style press, and several years ago introduced the Ideal C style cast iron press. Still, I hem-hawed around and never ordered one. The little press which initially had a street price of a little over $70 began to rise in price. I recently saw one listed for $167.00 :eek:. Several months ago I found one that was at a somewhat reasonable $87. It was back ordered, but I bought it anyway. I received notice yesterday that my credit card was being billed and my new Lyman Ideal single stage C style press was shipped. It should be here by the middle of next week.

I have no illusions of what I am getting. I still will not try to make 30 Badger out of 357 Magnum with it. I am getting a light to medium duty, short stroke, entry level press that will do everything the Lee Reloader press did, and maybe just a little more. A press that I will not worry that I might just break it, and one that will,last me the rest of my life.

It just so happens that I bought a new rifle the day before I was notified that my Lyman Ideal press shipped. The Ruger American Predator 223. One of my favorite YouTube video series is put out by Ultimate Reloader and titled Budget Precision 223, where he takes a T/C Compass in 223 Remington and uses the Lee Challenger Kit to build reloads for it. I think I should do the same with my new Ruger Rifle and Lyman press!

and another video from Ultimate Reloader featuring the Lyman Ideal Press.

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
You know....if you’d quit trying to extrude and/or forge brass into different shapes, the lighter presses wouldn’t be a problem!😁

But that Lyman looks solid, and that price is pretty good, IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.