One of these....

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by PrimalSeal, Mar 21, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

Made all of this!!!

[​IMG]

And I had 3 of them. 25 pound ingots of lead that my Dad gave me when I was home in Mississippi, and about 20 pounds of old fishing weights... Here are the other pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had my pot a little on the hot side so I got some discoloration in the ingots, but I just re-melted them and they all turned out just fine...

[​IMG]

The end result!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's 27 1/2 molds that are 3 pounds total, 2 one pound ingots and 2 half pound ingots.... doing the math that is a total of 82.5 pounds of lead ingots that I got for free. So, that's 577,500 grains of lead that will make a total of 4,657 9mm 124 grain bullets or 2,510 .45ACP 230 grain bullets. The only thing that really sucked like hell is that I had to chop that lead ingot up with an axe and a 5 pound sledge hammer. I ended up tearing up not only my axe, but my hatchet and 3 hammer handles on 3 different 5 pound hammers, the axe handle, the hatchet handle just about anything else I could mess up. It would usually take 30 swings on the hammer to get the axe to cut through one of those ingots and I had to make about 5 cuts to get it down to size so that the melting pot would handle it. Talk about tired arms. This project to get these 3 25 pound ingots melted into something useable has taken me 3 days to accomplish. Regardless, I think it's a good start eh?

2. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Lead cuts fairly easily with a handsaw. May save you some tools next time, but it doesn't look like you'll need to for quite a while.

3. I didn't have a saw blade that was worth a crap so I just chopped it up... I am gonna get new handles for them eventually, but the good thing about breaking that axe and hatchet is in the immediate future I can get that really cool Gerber set at Sportsman's Warehouse and the wife will just have to understand... :wink:

She won't be sympathetic, but hey, as long as it's justified right?

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Sounds to me like it should have justified a bandsaw! ;)

5. My grandfather gave me a 75 lbs chunk of lead. I used an old bbq grill, it was never to be used again, and an air compressor to melt it. I ha d a large cast iron skillet to melt it in. Sounds like a good plan right?b Well my buddy jim beam told me so anyways. The skillet tipped over, and all the lead melted and ran through a hole in the botom of the grill. I used a smaller cast iron skillet to catch it and make lead pancakes i could more easily chop up with a sawzall.

6. All I had was an axe and a sledge... It sucked cuz my sawsall didn't have a good blade so that was out. I took forever, but I got it done and I swea to the Living God that I will never tackle ingots that big ever again in my life.

7. Yea you will.Shooters are made that way.And we will be saying ,no I don't think you can use a piece of lead that size.

8. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Rather than go pay $2 for a sawsall blade, you trashed the rest of your tools... :lol:

9. I needed new ones anyway. The hammers I had were about trashed anyhow. The axe and the hatchet were on their last legs and the wife wouldn't let me buy new ones until those broke, so now that they're broke I can get new ones.