One Ragged Hole!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dagwood, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Took the 98 Mauser to the Indoor range today to sight her in again.

Put 20 rds of some old stock winchester thru her. At 30 yds the last 5 rds made one nice ragged hole.

I pretty much suck at sighting in, but I think I finally got this one where I want it.

I have been trying to re-finish the stock for awhile. I think I'm fairly satisfied with it now. About 18 layers of tru oil and sanding with 600 and 1200 grit.
    Polished it off with some spray on car wax. I got the stock off flea bay for 60 bucks.

I glass bedded it and free floated it and she shoots pretty great now. The Simmons 4-12 x 40 scope is awesome as well.

Not bad for a 1944 wartime relic!

Attached Files:

2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Thirty yards?

Ya need to stretch her out to 100 yards and see what she can do.

Pretty stock!

(Are those 'fritos' I spy?)

eldar

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You did a terrific job on the stock.... now put some boots on that Mauser and walk it out to 300 yards where it should be. :)

4. Dagwood

I was Soaking up the A/C at the indoor range. ha ha.
    I'll prolly make a run out to the BLM soon.
    I really suck long range though. I'm sure the old Mauser is a way better
    shooter than I'll ever be.

5. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

It's not all that tough, especially scoped. Best to either find or print targets with a 1" grid pattern. At 100yds one click equals 1/4" on most scopes so if you're shooting 2 blocks right and a block down from center you need 8 clicks clockwise on the right side adjuster, and 4 clicks counterclockwise on the top adjuster.

6. Dagwood

Cool, thanks for the info Red.

I always get confused as to which direction to turn the adjuster knobs. It usually takes me some back and forth to get it figured out.

7. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Yeah it takes me going the wrong way sometimes to figure it out, but most scopes will have the knobs marked as to how far each click goes at which yardage, and which way to turn them.

But on almost all of them, one click equals 1/4" at 100 yards. a target with a grid on it just helps a ton with knowing exactly how many clicks to go which way, can make the difference between taking 8 or 10 shots to zero in or 2 or 3.

8. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Thats a seriously nice monte carlo stock too! is that a boyds?

9. Dagwood

Thanks. No, It's marked Harrington & Richardson on the butt stock.
    I just bought it off of flea bay.
    I don't know if anyone remembers, I posted pics of the original stock here. It had turquoise and an elk's tooth embedded in it.
    That stock fell apart after a couple times to the range. This one is much nicer.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Dag I remember that stock, this one is much nicer. You do need to stretch its legs a bit, but with the scope you have that should not be a problem.

11. Dagwood

***Range Report Update***

OK, I took you all's advice.

I had a little time this morning so I took her out to the blm and sighted her in at 100 yds.

The first shot was not on paper. I adjusted point of aim and still not on paper.

I aimed about 16" low and finally hit paper. I took Red's advice and adjusted my elevation about 40 clicks and then fine tuned from there.

This is the results. I'm excited!

Unfortunately, the scope mounts started to loosen up so I will have to take the scope off and tighten them up and start all over again, schucks darn.

I'm looking forward to it now that I have some idea of what I am doing.

Thanks to all of you here at HPFF for all the advice and comaraderie. And happy 4th of July Independence day to all. This is the greatest country on the planet!

Attached Files:

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very nice! Good looking stock, nice groups for an old warhorse!

Personally, I'd either try to find some shorter rings...although you don't have much room left...or try a longer zero.

On the other hand, with minus 40 clicks on it, you now have tons of elevation left to dial in longer shots, if you wanted to dial in, and not just hold over.

That much change between 20 and 100 yards means you have a seriously large height of sight over bore, or a bit of angle built into the system. Neither is necessarily bad, it's just something to be aware of as you shoot at various ranges.

Have fun with it!

I should have taken pics, there's a Luxembourg FN-49 at the pawn shop near here, they took off the front sights, put a big ugly wooden cheek rest on the OEM stock, and D&T'd a scope onto it, it looks like it's 2" over the bore. $400 for a bubba special on a semi-rare ugly milsurp...I almost bought it as a parts gun for mine...but yours isn't bubba, and looks great!:)

13. Dagwood

Thanks Ajole!

It is kinda Bubba'd because I did it all myself, and I don't know what I'm doing. But, I was very excited to get a fairly tight group at 100 yds considering when I got this rifle it was all over the place. Primarily because the old stock was not bedded at all and was disintegrating.

It's not the fanciest or the most expensive, but with all the work I have done with this "old warhorse" I am as emotionally invested in this rifle as a guy could be. I dig it!

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Oh no, "bubba" is more about the stupid things done to try to change a bolt action rifle into a tactical operator's weapon system, and/or the field expedient (wrong) way of doing things, like using wood screws where machine screws belong, or cutting, grinding, and chopping things that shouldn't be, drilling holes that aren't aligned, etc...:rolleyes:

You put a pistol grip on it, that's bubba. Mount a laser, flashlight, and a folding stock...that's bubba.

Yours is a perfectly wonderful "sporterized" milsurp. Very nice!

15. Dagwood

Thanks again Ajole. Happy 4th

16. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Glad the sighting advice helped, sucks about the scope mounts, but at least now sighting seems pretty simple right? as long as you don't adjust the wrong way by accident lol.

I would agree, that looks more like a very well executed sporter than some hacked up tacticool bubba job.

Considering the scope slippage those are not terrible pores, just think of all the freedom that dirty commie paper can soak up through them!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

How or where did you learn to bed the stock ?

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Bing it!!!

My grandfather taught me how, but you can find a ton of instructional videos on the webz.

19. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Glass bedding is not that difficult at all, pillar bedding is a bit more involved but still pretty easy.

Basically just use epoxy or jb weld to take up any spaces where the action makes contact with the stock when all bolted together, anything less than a perfect fit will let the action move around in stock when fired.

here's a video that shows how stupid simple the process is. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFeDm7DMgzo[/ame]

20. Dagwood

I watched several videos on the old interwebs. I bought pillars from Midway I think. I bought a glass bedding kit from Sportsmans. It came with dye to color match the glass to the wood.

When I first did the glass bedding I fully bedded the action and the barrel. Ultimately I ended up sanding out a ton of it from the barrel area and free floating it. You want to be able to slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock all the way back to the action.

Free floating the barrel greatly improved the accuracy.

This is a great video btw. I may have to do this to my MN. There seems to be a lot of space behind the rear tang on mine. Thanks again Red