Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last HP carbine i had i was out shooting some very zippy loads, the sun caught the scene right and there was a sparkly silver cloud around the gun. I didnt have a chrono then but they were super sonic...anyway the gun went tits up at the next outing. i have since powder coated my bullets but it was interesting anyway. Science.says it couldve been zamak an not lead prolly both.
Font Water Liquid Smoke Monochrome photography

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
to its credit it had no problem eating those short bullets..my ingram wont.

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
Spin a cast lead soft bullet to hard and it will explode as it comes outof the barrel. The lead dust cloud... more common in rifle rounds but if you pushed the load hot...

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spin a cast lead soft bullet to hard and it will explode as it comes outof the barrel. The lead dust cloud... more common in rifle rounds but if you pushed the load hot...
gosh how many fps would that be ? would the primers be pierced ?

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
rule of thumb is over 1800fps you need to go to a tougher alloy of lead... Toughness can be added with several different metals, I am playing with copper and pushing my AR to 2800fps and it is cycling. Get the occasional lead poof still s not perfected yet.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rule of thumb is over 1800fps you need to go to a tougher alloy of lead... Toughness can be added with several different metals, I am playing with copper and pushing my AR to 2800fps and it is cycling. Get the occasional lead poof still s not perfected yet.
i use lyman#2 from mo bullets

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,018 Posts
2800fps?
Typo?

·
Super Moderator
5,295 Posts
Let me get this straight - you're adding copper to your lead mix? And pushing that mix a 2800 out of an AR?

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
What Weight? pretty impressive anyway
Plus, you said AR but we were talking 9mm beforehand... AR9? Or .223
55 grain .223. I use a low power version for longer range squirrel hunting but that I have to manually cycle each round. Still not perfect, need to toughen the alloy a bit more...

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
Let me get this straight - you're adding copper to your lead mix? And pushing that mix a 2800 out of an AR?
Yup! Copper, more antimony and tin... fine copper wire will slowly dissolve into molten lead! I know others are using pure printers lead and getting fairly decent results but that is expensive... so I am lowering the tin and antimony levels from that and adding copper to tough the boolit up. I have LOTS of scrap copper wire so that is a free resource, tin is expensive!!!!. The finer the wire the faster it will dissolve into the molten lead, I suspend a couple inches(depends on the wire gauge and how many strands...) in the melting pot and give it an hour. I use a PID temp controller on the pot so it maintains a good temp range. Some pine sawdust scattered on top and let it burn off protects the surface from oxidizing as bad.

Others are working on this too, nobody has hit the right combo yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,295 Posts
@MaryB - this is quite interesting. I usually cast with wheel weights, but never thought of adding copper. That takes on a whole new dimension

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
@MaryB - this is quite interesting. I usually cast with wheel weights, but never thought of adding copper. That takes on a whole new dimension
up to 1% zinc also toughens a bullet. Most of these techniques are at the expense of expansion though! Copper isn't as bad as a lot of tin and antimony or 1% zinc but it does affect it. I have never compared by firing into water jugs to recover the fired bullet. Something to put on the to do list for next sumer when getting wet will feel good.

Reactions: histed
1 - 16 of 16 Posts