Online gun store selling at cost till 5/7 - CNN

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NWdude83, Apr 25, 2008.

1. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

Gun seller offering discounts to 'save lives'

From Abbie Boudreau

(CNN) -- The owner of a company that sold firearm merchandise to both the Virginia Tech University and Northern Illinois University shooters said he will sell his guns at cost for the next two weeks in hopes that "law-abiding" citizens will buy them to prevent similar tragedies.

"I want to help people save lives," Eric Thompson said Thursday. He was to speak Thursday evening at Virginia Tech University at an event sponsored by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Thompson made the announcement Wednesday.

"I feel like I have a special responsibility to show people what guns are, what the laws are, and to allow people to protect themselves," Thompson said. "Initially, I wanted this to be an offer for college students," he said. "But there's no real way to determine whether someone is a college student ... so we opened it up to any legal American."

Thompson owns TGSCOM Inc, a Green Bay, Wisconsin-based company that operates about 100 Web sites that sell firearms. Among them are topglock.com and thegunsource.com, two Web sites that the NIU and Virginia Tech gunmen used to buy firearm merchandise.

Steven Kazmierczak, who killed five students before turning the gun on himself at NIU on February 14, bought two Glock 9 mm magazines and a Glock holster from topglock.com.

And Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho bought a Walther P22 from thegunsource.com.

Cho killed 32 students and professors before killing himself April 16, 2007.

Thompson said he has a "really emotional and raw feeling" about having links to the attacks. "I feel absolutely terrible for the parents, students and schools."

However, he added, "I'm selling a piece of plastic and a piece of metal ... and I think the media focuses on something different. ... I think they should focus on the murderer and not the weapon."

Thompson acknowledged that his guns could again be used in a crime.

"There's a small chance of these discounted guns getting into the hands of the wrong people," he said. But, he added, "as a federally licensed gun dealer, we have to rely on federal background checks."

He emphasized that he thinks he is doing the right thing. "This isn't fun, and this isn't easy," he said. "I could have easily stuck my head in the sand and ignored all of this, but sometimes the easy way to go is not the right thing to do."

He said, "I'm not making a single dime off of this. ... I will probably end up losing thousands and thousands [of dollars]."

Furthermore, he added, he and his family have received threatening phone calls; some included death threats.

"I do not feel I have extreme views," he said. "I think I have open eyes."

NIU did not immediately issue a response to Thompson's offer.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker issued a statement regarding Thompson's appearance there Thursday.

"Free speech is a hallmark of university life," he said. "Still, I find it terribly offensive to learn that the gun-seller of the weapons used in the Virginia Tech campus murders would set foot on this campus."

The statement did not address Thompson's offer, and the school did not immediately reply to a request for a response.

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/
    http://www.gunsatcost.com/home.aspx

2. Parrothead

Parrothead Guest

Bravo to someone who gets it.

Loaded guns have been known to exist in my residence from time to time. None of them has ever up and killed anyone or even discharged. It's the human who pulls the trigger who's responsible for any projectile discharged from a firearm.

Now if I could only convince some retailers around here to follow suit...

3. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Say what? Some people are just born a$$holes...

4. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Ura, I dont always agree with you on stuff, but I do with that statement.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

That's not at cost on their site... I know this first hand from my LGS, and another that I b/s'd into letting me look through his catalogues... 'nuff said.

6. jsumpter99

jsumpter99 Guest

7. good point. And by extension let me add the following:

The gun maker
    The bullet maker
    The holster maker
    The person who accepted Cho as a student
    The person who analyzed Cho as having a mental problem
    The person who made Cho's cammo outfit and sack
    The person who made the chains he used for the doors
    The video camera maker
    Cho's parents, their parents and their parents
    The university president who didn't ensure the sytems in place to keep students safe
    The university security forces who obviously failed
    The person who decided to not lock down the university after learning of the first shooting
    Every CCW holder who thinks it's okay to carry weapons

And I'm sure there are others to blame and to make a point.

8. condition1

condition1 Member

I blame the HPFF moderators and those who read this forum. You will all be hearing from my attorney.

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I blame the name "condition1" because it's all lower case and is a mix of letters and numbers.

10. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

The gun dealer and his businesses are probably in all kinds of legal and soon to be financial troubles. He might reconsider all this apparent cloaked social altruism, in the form of discounted gun sales, and begin keeping a much lower profile.

11. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

The local gun shop/pawn shop will sell any weapon for $20 over cost if you go in and order it. If it is in the store you pay the price marked..if you have them order it, its $20 over.

They have some pretty good deals for the most part with that option.

12. if those are his "discounted prices" for hi points, i hate to see what this guy normally charges for them. :shock:

13. I think it's a way to get free advertising. Those are not "cost".

14. it's a very moving story but it's not "cost". not a bad discount, though. just enough for people like me (living in Los Angeles) to break even for our outrageous out-of-state ffl. but i think i'lll pay the extra 3 bucks for help up my local shop.