Open bolt stuck on 995. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by SteveC, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Recently started having problem with 995. After emptying mag, bolt is open but stuck. Can't release it without a whack with a hammer (small one - not a sledge or anything lol) on the handle. Once whacked, it closes. Took it apart, cleaned and oiled, didn't see anything obvious. Any ideas>

2. Is there an empty magazine in the gun? Using a hammer is a horrible idea, you will break the LRBHO (last round bolt hold open)

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Is it a TS, or a classic?

Is the bolt handle collar getting stuck in the hole designed to lock the bolt back when there is no mag in the gun?

4. PhxRida

PhxRida Well-Known Member

Did you check the LRBHO spring? it sounds like the hold-open is not retracting properly.

5. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    It's a TS. And I will check the spring. Thanks.

6. GSP45

GSP45 GSP45 Member

What's with these darn things, now my 4595 charging bolt jams open after empty mag. Hp said to check firing pin and debure any roughness. All is done and ok, still jammed open after last round . I have to hit stock on the floor to release. Any fix ?

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Maybe the LRHO is jamming up?

8. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Dang, 7 years is a looooooong time to wait for a response ;):p

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It's designed to stay open on an empty mag. You have to remove the empty mag to get the bolt to go back forward.

SWAGA and Dubar like this.
  10. GSP45

GSP45 GSP45 Member

Right, I know, put in a full mag and it does not move!. Thanks, pull back and it wont release. Firing pin is perfect, inside clean and smooth. Hp can repair it, should be recalled , there's many with the same malfunction.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Not enough for a recall there isn’t.
    If it’s broke, they’ll fix it. Same as a Smith and Wesson, but faster, and cheaper.

Think1st likes this.
  12. Think1st

Florida
    The nice thing is that this problem seems to stay fixed once it's fixed.

13. GSP45

GSP45 GSP45 Member

I
    Thanks, I Hope so , design flaw, something simple, don't want to get shot trying to reload, we get what we pay for , might have to go to it's off to sig

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Silly question did you put it together wrong?

15. GSP45

GSP45 GSP45 Member

Same way hi point did

16. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I wonder what’s wrong with mine, it’s worked fine since day 1. Just can’t figure it out :rolleyes:

CowboyBob and Think1st like this.
  17. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

How many?

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So, have you looked at the LRHO? Is it sticking? Not enough spring pressure, or rubbing on the side of the receiver?

19. Think1st

Florida
    Does the bolt close when there is no magazine inserted, at all?

20. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

I haven't experienced this but looking at the action on mine would lead me to believe the charging handle is somehow hanging up. Possibly too tight or crooked causing it to bind.
    The carbines are known for reliability and the ability to take a beating which is why they are popular. They are a simple design and require little maintenance.
    Sometimes starting at the beginning is the best way.
    From the last time it functioned properly til now what was done to it? Did it get disassembled to clean, was it dropped, did you have a failure to feed or fail to extract incident?
    All of those could lead to what's wrong.
    I know you said it was put back together the HP did it, but if that was the last thing done prior to it having an issue there may be something wrong in the reassembly....something shifted or was tightened too much and now its binding.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.