Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NC and i was curious where i could find the laws on open carry on a 12 gauge in my car or truck...can it be loaded or does it have to be empty. and can i carry it on my person as one would with a open carry handgun

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Not sure about NC, but in general most states don't want you hunting out of a vehicle so the game laws say no loaded rifles or shotguns in vehicles. In some jurisdictions just leaning your loaded gun against a fender will get it confiscated! Most states also do not regulate open carrying of long arms (otherwise how could you hunt?) but do it in town and you just might find yourself charged with "disturbing the peace" or similar. You will definitely get the attention of most police officers. Remember, government passes laws to prohibit activity, not authorize it (unless it is pre-emptive or exempting from another law). You will not find a law saying "it is OK to carry a loaded shotgun on your back", you will just not find any that say you can't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure about NC, but in general most states don't want you hunting out of a vehicle so the game laws say no loaded rifles or shotguns in vehicles. In some jurisdictions just leaning your loaded gun against a fender will get it confiscated! Most states also do not regulate open carrying of long arms (otherwise how could you hunt?) but do it in town and you just might find yourself charged with "disturbing the peace" or similar. You will definitely get the attention of most police officers. Remember, government passes laws to prohibit activity, not authorize it (unless it is pre-emptive or exempting from another law). You will not find a law saying "it is OK to carry a loaded shotgun on your back", you will just not find any that say you can't.
Yep, waltzing through town with your Defender with folding stock and a bandoleer of slugs & 00B just might elicit a response from Barney Fife. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
in texas, we can walk around with a loaded shotgun. you just cant fire it in city limits. or ask the clerk behind the counter for "cash back" with it pointed at her! but im sure you would get a few looks from leo's if you walked down the street with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts