Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
i'd think it would lead to 'old west movie' style scenes, the whole my gun is bigger, nicer, more gold plated, more expenzive...etc etc besides it would seem to me its kinda like everyone who owns a gun puts a poster in their yard. the crooks will just target the sheep with out teeth.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If its legal in your state by all means if you wish to open carry then do it. I fully support all rights, I open carry all the time, and have never had anyone look at me weird or become afraid. You should check out http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/ before you open carry that way you can catch up on the laws, methods, etc.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Out in the woods on a hike or on private property no problem. Out in public I think it's a recipe for trouble.
just exactly how is exercising your right to bear arms a "recipie for trouble"?

SW
I think exercising your right is fine. I just don't think that open carry all over town is the wisest way to do it. People's attitudes and reactions towards seeing an openly carried firearm are going to vary from place to place as social norms vary across the country. While people might not care one whit about it where you live, I've seen write-ups in my local newspaper about police responding to citizens carrying openly, which meant it caused a stink. I also believe that owners of private property like stores etc.. can ask you to leave if they realize that you have a firearm on their property, which is not public, and they don't want firearms on their property. Which also leads to the point of having to carry and remove a weapon off and on during the day, which means at some point the firearms has to be left unattended in a vehicle, which I don't like either.

Also, the first rule of fight club is, you do not talk about fight club. Why, when you can get a concealed carry permit, would you choose to carry openly which betrays your capabilities and could lead to you being targeted FIRST?

As I said, I openly carry a firearm when I'm out hiking, when I'm on my family's private land, and when I'm going to and from a shooting session. But openly carrying when out in public exposes me to bad reactions from other less informed citizens, unwanted attention from law enforcement, possible removal from businesses, being targeted as armed by certain criminals, etc... just not worth it. Your opinion and mileage may vary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interestingly enough, had a legal case come up involving this here in GA. Gentleman went grocery shopping with his firearm out in the open. Had the police called on him by other shoppers. Ended up having his pistol confiscated, even tho he gave the officer his CCW. A whole messed up story, ended with the sheriff apologizing for all that happened.

·
U.S.S.
2,215 Posts
No problem with open carry. It is legal here in AZ and I see people do it all the time and we don't have a bunch of "old west" showdowns. Yes people's reactions will vary, but the only way to change the view that guns are bad, is for people to see guns for the benign objects they are. Most times I do not open carry, because I believe it gives the BG a tactical advantage. If the BG knows I have a gun, he knows for sure that I must be dealt with quickly in a situation. If concealed, I am still a threat, but at the same threat level as everyone else.

Saying you shouldn't exercise you right to bear arms because of what other people think is kinda like saying you shouldn't wear your crucifix because some people don't like Catholics. Incidents like the one in GA help to spread the word that there is nothing wrong with open carry. The Cops had to publicly apologize for trampling this guy's rights. This highlights the fact that there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here in NH, You can carry Open without a permit. I carry concealed because I choose to do so. As mentioned on here about getting all kinds of reaction/s from "others" who DO NOT know a thing about the 2nd. amend. can lead to LEO to stop and question you always. As long as You are LEGAL to be carrying that weapon and You choose to Open carry, then go for it. I think the more gun owners Open carry, the more people will understand the 2nd Amend. I do not see a problem with Open. I do think You should use Judgement on Where and When to Open. That is just MO. Other than that, as far as a BG seeing You are carrying will make him/her think twice before "asking for a match". On the Conceal, I like it because I do not need to be bothered by LEO to ask me for identification, etc. when I already know what I am doing is perfectly legal and that the Chief signed my permit to carry (even though I do not have to show them it). I chose not to get the "attention" of carrying Openly. Lots of different opinions on this subject. If it is LEGAL, then go for it and show others that the 2nd. Amend does work and it is not just for us gun owners to go out and show off that we have a gun/s and we are cool. That is NOT what it is for. If you're worried about going into an establishment and being asked to leave because of the Open Carry, then..........................Conceal it before You go in and then there is no problem, right? IF the establishment has a sign, "No Weapons" etc. allowed, then, that's YOUR call. If You Open Carry and are asked to leave, then you MUST leave because now You are tresspassing. Same as if You are on someone elses property. So, to end my book here, all I can say is go for it as long as it is LEGAL, but use Your better judgement at times.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's a map from OpenCarry.org showing where it is and isn't legal to carry openly. Notice that some states may or may not be depending on who you're talking to. Wisconsin is listed as "anomalous" but when asked why Wisconsin doesn't have CCW, the governor responded, "If you want to carry a firearm in Wisconsin, carry it on right here," and he patted his hip.

G

·
Open carry can be a tricky thing. Even if your state is a Gold Star state you could still have issues with local LEO's. I live in West Virginia. Open Carry has been brought up here quite often. I will open carry at times. However, understand that open firearms scare the daylights out of some people. You can also be asked to leave businesses if they do not permit open carry on their property. I've found the best thing to do is always call your local Police Department and simply ask if open cary is legal where you live.

Personally I prefer open carry. It may scare some people to see the weapon, but it sure as heck can deter a criminal. You're less likely to get held up if the crook sees you're packing heat in plain sight. They want a fast grab..., and if they can't see your weapon your chances of a face to face are more likely. Put your lady on your hip.., and she'll do the talkin for ya. Just the other day I saw an elderly man here using open carry. This guy was old school too! The man had a .45 single action on his hip..., I think it was an Uberti Schofield (HUGE mother of a gun it was too) Now that I think about it I've seen a lot of elderly men packing heat around here..., and the majority of these guys are old school as well. I'd say the most crazy open carry I've seen here was an old man with a freakin .50 cal hand cannon on his hip.... Wonder if these elderly fellas know something the rest of us don't :)

·
Banned
19,436 Posts
yes they do. they know that a older person is a more likely target because they cant fight back as effectivly as a younger person. "God created man. Sam colt made em' equal" just some fellows evening the odds.

i open carry guns i like that dont CC easily. like my C9, old AMT longslide .45 (geez i wish i still ownd that), glock 10mm fullsize etc. ive beens stopped by one LEO asking ot see my ID when i was walking down the sidewalk. he just wanted to make sure i was old enough (i have a babyface even though im 29) he looked at my ID and said have a nice day.

and yes there are occasions where OC isnt appropraite. church, large social gathreings and sporting events come to mind. thats what CCW permits are for.

SW

G

·
I've had my run ins with LEO's for open carry. Some went quite well...., some I was treated like a freakin criminal. My luck is I often get the fresh out of the academy LEO wanting to make his mark. Had a state police officer once commend me on the fact that when I do open carry I "ALWAYS" keep ID in my shirt pocket. That way no misunderstandings come from me getting my ID and not getting blasted by a parnoid LEO who thinks I'm going for my weapon instead of ID. I often find that as long as you're polite, don't give em an attitude all usually goes well. My only issue is being treated like a criminal and officers that step out of line and don't follow procedure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If everyone would open carry you wouldn't be treated like a criminal you'd just be accepted as normal - wouldn't that be a fine world indeed! Yeah, I hope Texas gets an open carry cause concealing is a pain. Mike

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.