Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have. I think I've OC twice now as an experiment just to see reactions, concerns or if anyone would even notice at all.

I carried all day on these occasions and in some busy places (one was a Wal-Mart). Only pne person ever said anything at all and it was not negative. Most likely a few others noticed and just did not feel inclined to say anything.
It is legal in PA but I do prefer CC as I would rather have any BG's be surprised.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Hey devilsjackpot.
As far as I know it is legal to open carry in MO, barring some of the cities like St. Louis & KC that have their own ordinances.
From what I've heard though, the police will find some reason to hassle you, stating "Disturbing the Peace" as a way to have you arrested.
Be sure to check your local laws to see if it is legal in your city/county. I still need to call the Sheriff & State police here to find out for myself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually have some friend on the PD here in STL. And it is actually legal to OC here. One of them was telling me about getting called to North City (Which is like the wild west anyway) by some lady who was freaking out, on a call about a guy walking around with a rifle strapped to his back. They rolled up, found the guy, asked what was up, ran his name, came back negative and told him to have a nice day.

I was floored when he told me this. I asked him and he said that if I open carry I would probably have officers ask me what was up, but that I probably wouldnt have any issues.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i was at walmart in jeff city the other day and i saw a pretty big with his family and thought to myself, somethings differant about that guy. as we passed each other i turned around and there it was, a 1911 at 330 owb in kydex. i passed them again at the register, smiled and nodded. note: i often look to see if others are packing. is that weird?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i was at walmart in jeff city the other day and i saw a pretty big with his family and thought to myself, somethings differant about that guy. as we passed each other i turned around and there it was, a 1911 at 330 owb in kydex. i passed them again at the register, smiled and nodded. note: i often look to see if others are packing. is that weird?
Not weird at all but rather being observant.
Could be Joe Citizen or a BG carrying, either way I'd prefer noticing. In one case I could stay out of the line of fire of the GG or remove myself from the area of the BG.

And yes, one usually can tell the difference. Demeanor, attitude, body language, look in the eyes.
Trust those gut instincts.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
OC is legal in Wisconsin, but. OC is Wisconsin's excuse for not allowing CCW. Why should we when it is legal to OC. Goverment thinking.....
Well, I checked with a number of Law Enforcement agencies and can safely tell anyone living in WI or visiting, that you will be arrested !
The way the cops get around it is that if ANYONE calls about your OC, they will arrest your for 1) disorderly conduct, or 2) threatening action. That being anyone can that feels threatened by just your carrying, is sufficient to write you a ticket and "possibly" confiscate your gun................ Nice, Huh ? So yes it is legal, but.............................

·
Registered
447 Posts
I consider the great benefit of open carry laws as the fact that you are covered while transporting or in your vehicle. It is impossible to carry the wrong way in your vehicle in an open carry state.

Where some states say gun and ammo in different locations, one or both locked, no access to one or both while driving, or they have no legal transport at all, an open carry state is simple. Put it in the rig and take it where you need it, or just leave it in the rig as a part of the interior decor.

Remember, the good guy with the visible gun is the first person the bad guy shoots.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I consider the great benefit of open carry laws as the fact that you are covered while transporting or in your vehicle. It is impossible to carry the wrong way in your vehicle in an open carry state.

Where some states say gun and ammo in different locations, one or both locked, no access to one or both while driving, or they have no legal transport at all, an open carry state is simple. Put it in the rig and take it where you need it, or just leave it in the rig as a part of the interior decor.

Remember, the good guy with the visible gun is the first person the bad guy shoots.
Don't try that in MI unless you have a CCW license as soon as you enter a conveyance you are carrying concealed per code.

And open carry is legal in MI.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts

Don't try that in MI unless you have a CCW license as soon as you enter a conveyance you are carrying concealed per code.

And open carry is legal in MI.
As of Sept in Ohio, a loaded mag is a loaded weapon, which you need a CCW license for now. Open carry is legal in Ohio, but no loaded weapons in the vehicle, and a loaded mag is a loaded weapon!!

So think about this for a minute- you want to open carry. Before getting in your car, you unload your gun. When you get to, say Wal-Mart, you get out of the car and start loading your mag in public. No, that won't induce a panic!! Friggin Ohio.....

·
Registered
974 Posts
So think about this for a minute- you want to open carry. Before getting in your car, you unload your gun. When you get to, say Wal-Mart, you get out of the car and start loading your mag in public. No, that won't induce a panic!! Friggin Ohio.....
I laughed and laughed at this.

And laughed.

No really, visualize this and try not to laugh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i OC in Co. but mostly when i was working security. ran errands before and after work to gas stations, grocery stores, fast food, even a couple nice sit-down restaurants, and one bank! all with my p-89 on my hip and no one cared when i had the bright yellow security shirt on but when i tried with out the yellow shirt you would think i was satin him self the way some people glared and grimaced but no laws broken so when the authoritys asked they let me on my why. just don't try it in Denver city/county they will call it disturbing the peace, or some such and take your gun and leave a ticket or take you to jail. you can fight it using state laws that over rule the city but it will cost $$ for courts and lawyers Denver will see to that.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
OC is legal in Maine. I've only done it once. It was a warm spring day and I went grocery shopping. Someone called the cops who arrived while I was in the check-out line. They took me aside and proceeded to read me the riot act for what boiled down to not breaking the law in any way, shape or form in front of the whole grocery store. It was thoroughly embarrassing and really soured me to OC all the way around. Now I go out of my way to conceal.

I wrote the NRA-ILA about the whole thing and they never got back to me. I also wrote a letter to the police chief and he ignored me.

I know that certain states allow open carry, but you can also get in a lot of trouble for inciting a riot. Which, I assume, is why the cops were all over me. Even though I was just minding my own business and picking up milk and eggs, I was in a crowded grocery store and people are sheep.

There are a lot different aspects here. Some schools of thought say that OC is a great deterrent against potential aggressors/thieves/baddies/whatever. They see your gun and change their plans about robbery. The other side of that coin is some might consider it to be threatening or intentional intimidation of some kind.

I don't really have a problem with OC, but given my run-in with the local law and the way the public reacted to it around here, I will probably never do it again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here's a good one for you.

I just found out that the laws in my state (KY) consider a handgun in a desk drawer, inside your home, concealed carry!

along side that, keeping the handgun in your car glove box is considered "open carry".

Does that make sense to you?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I'm not sure how glove box is open carry. I would consider that concealed carry.

Keeping it in your home is not concealed carry. That's your place of residence and where the heck else would you keep your guns?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.