Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw your little cipher to PrimalSeal in another thread... neat. I studied ciphers, codes, and cryptography heavily during my 22 years on this earth. I have an open challenge to you (or anyone else who wants a crack at it).

It's straightforward, and very easy... IF you understand what it takes to decode it. I gave you a hint, though it may be a little too much... you may get it right off the bat due to my phenomenal hint there... So... Have at it Jag (forum)... you can post in this thread if you think you have the answer... I'll gladly let the winner know if they win or not.
-Mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
Funny...I've seen this type of encryption method before (sorry if I used the terminology wrong there). This looks almost like some sort of Sumerian, Native American, or Phoenician alphabet/numeral system. The symbols share a striking similarity to cuneiform symbols. Let me do some checking and I'll see what I can dig up.

Jag 8)

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might have to give me a little more info, Strangerous...I tried looking up what I thought this code might be, but it turned out to be a bust...perhaps, a little more info, if that would be fair? Otherwise, I could spend YEARS searching for information on this, and still turn up nothing...

Up to you, though...I'll keep trying, nonetheless...

Jag 8)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wait a minute...I was in the Boy Scouts, and I saw something like this in the Boy Scout handbook (either that, or in the handbook for the cyrptography merit badge...I think that's what they called it). I'd have to find my old copy of the handbook to check, though...been a long time since I looked at that book...

Am I on to something here, Strangerous?

Jag 8)

·
Registered
345 Posts
So, does the message read "The Boy Scout Moto"?  I finally checked the number of symbols against the phrase "The Boy Scout Moto", and they seem to match.  Is this close? And if it is, WHERE did you find/discover/invent this cypher?  If you wouldn't mind telling us, I'd be greatly interested in learning some more about it!

Thanks!

Jag  8)

EDIT: The phrase/number of symbols matches closest when you spell it out like this: "The Boy+SPACE+Scouts Moto"...I THINK this is right...

EDIT: If my original assumption is correct, it assumes that the word "motto" has been shortened to "moto"...maybe I'm wrong here...hmmm...back to the drawing board?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fourboxes:

???????????????????????????

Elaborate & enumerate, if you could, on your message...

Jag 8)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All wrong so far...

Its what the puzzle would like like if he presented it as alphabetic substitution instead of a pigpen.
JAG, There's your hint... fourboxes knows his stuff!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thank you very much, Fourboxes...

swr apdcrhts es fepd = exactly what this message translates into using the pigpen cipher developed by the Freemasons. I used this website to help confirm it:

http://www.simonsingh.net/The_Black_Chamber/pigpenWithMenu.html

Now, the question is: what does this actually say?

I'll try to decipher it and post what it means in plaintext here...

Jag 8)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dang, Strangerous...on top of using a rather obscure cipher, you have to go and scramble the letters, too!!!

:cantlook: :cantlook: :cantlook: :D

Man, this is gonna take a bit...

Jag 8)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I think it says "keep your eyes on the ball except when you beware of falling rocks ahead while keeping your powder dry."

I'm pretty good at this stuff. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Clearly, I don't have a clue but I'm intrigued nonetheless. :angel:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it says "keep your eyes on the ball except when you beware of falling rocks ahead while keeping your powder dry."

I'm pretty good at this stuff. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Clearly, I don't have a clue but I'm intrigued nonetheless. :angel:
negative.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.