Operating handle questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by gd_patten, Aug 20, 2015.

1. gd_patten

gd_patten Member

I just bought the 995TS. The directions are kind of sparse.

How tight is the operating handle supposed to be tightened?

I tightened it hand tight and it didn't lock back in the notch, so I tightened it some more with the wrench.

It locked back for about ten times then I had to tighten it up more. It has worn the paint of the shroud where it rubs. Is that normal?

Is it supposed to lock back with an empty mag, no mag?

To disengage the hold open, what is the correct procedure?

How should one work the operating handle when dry firing?

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's about right. You don't want to torque it so much that you damage something.

It happens to some nuts and bolts. A bit of blue locktight will fix it. Don't use the red.

The magazine follower pushes up on the LRHO tab which locks open the breach-block.

Remove the empty magazine and pull back on the Operating Handle ("bolt"). This releases the LRHO. Then let it go and it will slide forward. If you replace the empty mag with a loaded one, this will also load the chamber.

Use snap-caps. But otherwise, work the handle the same. It gets pulled back, released, and slides forward. That's pretty much it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

I assume that you have it installed the right way,, Have seen many that did not install it correctly,, my advise would be to get a small tube of Loc-Tite Blue,,put a drop or two on the end of the bolt and screw it tight.
    Make sure that you use the blue loc-tite..

Using the red loc-tite you may or may not ever get it apart agian:(

4. gd_patten

gd_patten Member

I didn't see any instructions, so I installed the handle the way it seemed to be obvious. Just to be sure, what is the "right way", thundercroozer? Thanks...

5. GulfCoastGuy

GulfCoastGuy Member

A way to release the bolt with no magazine is to drop the empty mag and then hold down the trigger while you pull back the bolt and SLOWLY manually return it to the forward position. Old rimfire technique.

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Here is a Pic for you with the charging handle on it the right way

Attached Files:

7. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Dude youtube is your friend.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W90PKQ_xSU[/ame]

Also find someone local to teach you the ins and outs, LGS is a good place also.
    Good luck.

8. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I had a leftover gray, knob like part leftover after I installed my handle the other day. Realized that maybe it was supposed to go in between bolt and handle - but then could not find part to try. Is that what it is for? I know MoM would send a new one, just want to make sure what it is.

9. sarahsmom

Also, how do we remove the screws to install the sling? There was a good thread regarding that, now can't find it. I think it was Melvin?

10. sarahsmom

One more question for everybody - which blue loctite is the right one? Looking on Amazon there appears to be a dozen variations of "blue" loctite - including supeglue! :what:

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Use nail polish... it will work as well. ;)

12. gd_patten

gd_patten Member

Thanks for the Link Bamaboy

I had everything on the same way as the video. I also noticed that like mine, the gun in the video had the paint rubbed off where the handle rides back, so I guess that is normal.

At the end of the video when he pull the handle back and dry fired it a couple of times, the handle appeared to pull back pretty easy. If I hand tighten my handle and then give it a quarter turn, it ride back that easy, but it won't hold open. If I give it another half turn, it will hold open, but it takes a lot more force to pull the handle back (lots of friction). I guess I'll have to experiment.

I've had experience with a Rudger SR-9, a CZ-85 combat pistol, a Browning Buck Mark, and a Savage 223 bolt action, so I'm not a complete newbie but I appreciate good advice on a new gun.

Nobody really knows anything about Hi-Point carbines in the gun shops around me (Minneapolis). I ordered through Davidsons and the gun shop I picked it up at had never seen one before.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That just sounds really off. The bolt for my handle screws to a stopping point and the handle itself is relatively loose. There isn't any play in the bolt that affects what the handle does. I've put thousands of rounds through my carbine and it barely has any wear from the handle.

Attached Files:

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

We had a thread very recently where somebody out in the bolt backwards

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just to be certain...you do realize you have to insert the handle into the hole by sliding it along the bolt and pushing it in by hand, to hold the bolt back?

It should go deep enough that it doesn't just slide out.

SarahsMom...unscrew the bolt where you want the sling swivel installed, and screw the swivel in to replace it.

16. sarahsmom

I thought there was a special way you had to unscrew it a little bit then punch it out or something. There was another thread that said something like that. I seem to have lost half my allen wrenches, will have to get right size.

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

Nope. Just unscrew it. The nut will stay in place on its own.

18. GulfCoastGuy

GulfCoastGuy Member

That's only if you want to have the sling on the other side. If you're not going for right side strong tactical carry it won't be an issue.

19. sarahsmom

Well....I would like that option......:D