Opinion of the Ar-15 80% lowers?

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Jed, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Been kicking around the idea of building an ar-15 platform and I was looking at the 80% lowers as a possibility. Any one have a first hand experience with these? Either polymer or aluminum? My interest comes first from the price stand point and second from the nifty factor of building my riffle from "scratch".

2. Mikegeo

Mikegeo Member

PM me i can walk you thru it

3. I've done a few of them in aluminum. I've thought of doing one or more in polymer, but I still have a few more 80%'s in aluminum & haven't gotten around to buy a polymer one.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Would you be willing to part with an aluminum one or two to fund a polymer project?

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Rach ... do you have a mill to finish them with?

6. Rachgier

I have full access to a machine shop through a former employer who is wanting to build a couple of AR's and he approached me to show him how to assemble and maintain them. No, I would not be finishing 80% lowers for him. He is ordering his own lowers through a business contact in PA and discussed compensating me with a complete upper for my labor. Actually, I have to be careful because several people have approached me to assemble their rifles when they receive the parts. I'm slightly hesitant because I couldn't find a clear answer on the legality of assembling a rifle for someone from parts they legally purchased from an FFL.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    OK. Pretty sure it's like this. As long as the owner is present they still maintain possession of their firearm. Therefore you can work on it without possessing a FFL or being a gunsmith. If they leave it in your possession to work on it then you need a FFL or to be a gunsmith.

8. Rachgier

That's how I took it, but there is an 800lb gorilla in the room that makes it difficult.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I thought YOU were the 800lb gorilla?...

10. Rachgier

No, I'm the 275lb teddy bear...

11. Bull

Well put the gorilla to work, get done quicker, so everyone can have a AR!

12. Rachgier

We tried to drag the 800lb gorilla out back and put him out of our misery. Unfortunately, not enough gun owners showed up to vote.....

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's because there ain't but 6 legal gun owners in NYC. And we all know that NY States dangling hemorrhoid makes the rules.

14. Bull

lol....... Rach, get your ass to Colorado!

15. bigclubs

bigclubs Member

Finished up an aluminum 80% back in November. Found the lower on GB for around $40 an Anderson brand. Took about 2 days off and on to mill the lower and to get the trigger components to fit properly. Took a few tries to get the trigger pocket to the correct width, off by .012, kept milling a few thousands and check fit. I completed the project by picking up a complete kit on GB for $460. A buddy also was going to work a lower and we looked at the BATF write ups and determined that the owner has to do the work..... you can supervise, but not do any machining or do the work for someone else. I was able to find the Jig for @$50 on E-bay, not a lot of listings show up, had to keep looking weekly. The $50 jig worked just as good as the $100 ones on various websites.