Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have not gotten a gun for CC and I have decided on getting a revolver. Now I just have to figure out which one to get. I would love your opinions. Would you recommend a revolver with or without a hammer? I looked at a Taurus 851 and the Taurus 85 today. I do have an issue with money and cannot afford a really expensive gun. I also have to pay for a Concealed Carry class and send money with the application for a CCW.
Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
Pat

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
for pure CC a shrouded hammer revo is tops. Taurus makes very good revos for not a lot of money. You cna also pick up a used smith or colt and have thehammer bobbed as well. Ive bought bobbed Smith j frames for as littel as 75$ in pawn shops.

SW

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for pure CC a shrouded hammer revo is tops. Taurus makes very good revos for not a lot of money. You cna also pick up a used smith or colt and have thehammer bobbed as well. Ive bought bobbed Smith j frames for as littel as 75$ in pawn shops.

SW
Thanks SW! The pawn shop I went to today wanted $439.00 for the shrouded hammer Taurus 851. That was a used one! He did say he would draop it to $409.99.
I called another gun store and they want $399.00 but that for for a new one. I only wish that I could find a Smith j frame for $75.00!!!!! The pawn shops and gun stores here are taking advantage of the run on guns now and getting big bucks. :mad:
Pat

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I lucked into a Taurus 85 from a guy at work for $150. It's got a hammer but doesn't dig into my side too bad. I've been wearing it at the 1 o'clock position in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. The hammer-less would definitely make it a little more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I picked up a Taurus Model 905 revolver (9mm) 1 7/8" barrell and concealed hammer and stainless used at my LGS for $225.00.
It is easy to conceal for me and helps having the same ammo that I can use in my auto's when I carry on of them.
Have seen some of the Taurus 85 around here used for about the same price.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I know its on the "cheaper" end, but I was very happy with my Charter Arms .38. I only sold it to make some room in my collection for the revolver I have now, a Dan Wesson .357. I paid $260+tax for the .357 which isn't bad, really, and tho' its old its a great shooter. You can still find some DWs and some S&Ws around for budget prices if you don't mind looking around for a while, but taurus makes a great revolver product. For pure CC purpose4s the hammerless is the way to go.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree with Loopster. My daily carry is a charter arms .38 and I am very happy with it. I either carry in an Uncle Mike's IWB or a fobus paddle holster the 2 months out of the year I wear a jacket. Mine has the hammer but I only paid $125 for it so I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm a short ways away from my pistol permit and at some point I'll pursue a CC for business purposes. I have a .22 revolver and a S&W Highway Patrol .357 at this point, passed down from dad.

My CC will most likely be a 9mm Taurus Millenium Pro with the accessory rail built in (some do have this option...they're just not as common as the ones that don't.) Plenty of stopping power, IMO, and I won't go broke on the ammo.

HOWEVER...I've also been seriously considering a Sig Sauer Mosquito in .22cal. Time will tell, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I use a Colt agent or a Ruger sp101 each has the 2 inch barrel and is easy to hide. I would stay away from the .357 in the sp101, its brutal on the hands and difficult to keep on target after the first shot.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!
I only wish that I could find deals like you guys do. All of you that get all the great deals on guns must not live in FL.
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I will try to hold out for a better deal.
Pat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts