Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pricing one out just for plunking and hunting. Anybody own one?? What the good, the bad, and the ugly?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the good, relaible, accuracte and fun.

the bad. you couldnt have picked a worse time to buy one. HK just won its lawsuit against GSG and no more will be made so prices are going through the roof.

the ugly. with GSG likely to go out of buisness or ahve to change thier product line due to the HK lawsuit, spare parts will be questionable in the future, magazines will be tough to find (promag got sued too!) and reapiur service may or may not contune once current warranty on these guns run out.

SW

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Love mine and don't regret buying it. But the above information is good stuff...things you should consider before buying one of these. If you do decide to get one, move quickly and get everything you could possibly want before it's no longer available. And in saying this, I mainly mean magazines--get lots of them.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
The fact that GSG would no longer be making these and the ensuing hype of people jacking the prices who knows yet what the outcome may be as far as the fate of GSG and their support of this firearm. Could it be that next year they come out with another rifle that uses some of the same internals and has a different "look" maybe emulating a Krinkov or something like that? I cannot speculate on the actual GSG-5 as I don't own one but Its really hard to tell which way things will go. Should you buy one for the collectors value and just hold on to it? is it one of those things that the price gouging will continue until GSG makes something else and is still able to provide some support for this gun? Will these guns take on a role of curio and the value ever increase and if so would you want to own one and try not to ever shoot it in order to keep it worth more?

One thing that I can recommend that you consider in all this is that you consider your options, I know that there are a few other options when considering a cool looking .22 plinker. Of course there are the near endless variations that you can do with a 10/22, Archangel stock, Krinker Plinker and the list goes on. Also consider the 10/22s reliability and track record with the availability of parts and magazines. I have a family member that picked up a romanian AK that chambered in .22lr which was pretty darn interesting and he liked it quite well.

Keep your options open try not to get gouged too hard on price if you buy a GSG and if they discontinue service and parts for the thing... pray nothing breaks!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the word on arfcom from ATI (they have an account there) is that they will guarantee service on the guns up until the warranty on the last production item runs out. after that is anybodys guess. unless they can come up with an alternative product that makes just as much money, i cant see how they can survive as a company.

SW

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Lol on the warranty issue...we all know nothing breaks until after the warranty is up :tongue2:

Everyone boasts that the 10/22 is best, but for the fun-factor, you can't beat the GSG-5. Plus, I've yet to hear of a perfectly-functioning high-cap mag for the Ruger. Some of the replacement stocks can also cost an arm-and-a-leg.

Just food for thought.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
attn: thread hijack ahead!

the onlt 10/22 magazines that NEVER fail are the facotry 10 round rotary mags. ive had pretty much every avaible aftermarket mag for mine (with the exception of teh wind-up 50 round drum) and the only one that didnt wear out eventually was the butler creek steel lip, single stack 25 rounder. all others failed after varying amounts of rounds. best bang for your buck are the sub 10$ eagle poly mags. last about 20-25 reloads (600-750 rounds) before significant wear eats them up. when they quit working toss em and go buy more.

hijack over.

from what ive seen of the GSGs they either are good to from the factory or they are a lemon. no real middle ground. mine has eaten tens of thousands of rounds wihtout problem.

SW

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got a GSG-5, had it on order the first of the month, dealer just got it in, and has their distributor sending them more. Right now, mags are still available at decent prices, Knifeco has them $24.99 each, they were $22.99 Monday morning, I ordered 2 of them Monday, got them this morning.

http://www.knifeco.com

According to some of the threads ATI has posted to on ARF.com, GSG already has something new in the works that will be a nice surprise for the fans of their products, and has been noting suggestions, I'm hoping for a .22lr version of either the StG44, or the MP40, I'd buy both, and actually, the AK looks like it's a real good deal, well made, even has a wood buttstock and handguard, and selling cheaper than the GSG-5. ATI and GSG will both survive, GSG makes airsoft guns other than the MP-5 style, and ATI imports and distributes alot of other stuff.

ATI will post the final terms of the agreement when they are all hammered out.

HK only filed the suit to kill off the competition for when their official HK stamped, Umarex made, yes, the same company that makes the Colt AR-22 piece of junk, .22lr MP-5 comes out early next year.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Everyone boasts that the 10/22 is best, but for the fun-factor, you can't beat the GSG-5. Plus, I've yet to hear of a perfectly-functioning high-cap mag for the Ruger. Some of the replacement stocks can also cost an arm-and-a-leg.
HIJACK: I have 3 of the Butler Creek steel lips 25 round mags for my 10/22s and it's very rare that I have a jam, other than when using that crappy Winchester SuperX HP ammo, I can think of 3 jams in about 2000 rounds. I'd say I can handle a .15% failure rate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts