Opinions on .380 ammo for self defense

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Greg B., Nov 21, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

FWIW, the 9mm is one cartridge where I always use hollow points. Don’t get me wrong. I think penetration trumps expansion any day, but too much is too much. And the 9mm with ball just penetrates too much.

TNTRAILERTRASH and Bertus like this.
  2. Rerun

Rerun Member

Look up Hydra-Shok ammunition.

Since 1988, velocities greater than 1130 fps providing good expansion in gelatin but, clogging by clothing and failure to expand.

Best to keep using the ammunition that many firearms were designed to use - fmj.

eldar

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

The argument, for that statement, could be made that with the proliferation of hollow point ammunition most modern firearms have been designed to run JHP's.

Merle likes this.
  4. Rerun

Rerun Member

Interesting to note,
    the only modern handgun I own, a Hi-Point .45 ACP fires hollow points trouble free.

eldar

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ummmmm......nope.

Just use the ammo that works in your gun. I’ve had no issues with the XTP’s.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  6. Rerun

Rerun Member

Oh, yass.

That's why the FBI stopped using Hydra-Shok ammunition in 1992.

eldar

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Interesting article here:

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/the-story-behind-the-fbi-new-duty-load/325989

Circa 2003, Emary started working earnestly on a bullet design that would meet the FBI protocal for performance through steel and not get destroyed by glass. The most challenging part of the FBI’s tests was shooting through glass and achieving between 12 and 18 inches of penetration. (Ideally, 15 inches.) The solution wouldn’t reveal itself for several more years.

And another here:
    https://bluesheepdog.com/2018/05/31/f-b-i-selects-winchester-9mm-ammunition/

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) awarded Winchester Ammunition with their coveted 9mm pistol ammunition contract. Winchester’s PDX1 will be the Bureau’s duty round, and their Frangible SF rounds will be the Bureau’s training ammunition. This is on the heels of the Bureau selecting Winchester to be its .40 cal. ammunition supplier.

Bertus and lklawson like this.
  8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

That was Winchester Silver Tip you ninny.

9. Rerun

Rerun Member

And, Black Talons, Sweet child. And, Hydra-Shok. Which were around as an independent company before being acquired by Federal.

eldar

10. SWAGA

To give these underprivileged perpetrators a chance I use gunshow ammo.

Bertus and OldOutlaw like this.
  11. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I figure if I use ball ammo, it will make the surgeons job easier:) and if there are 2 perps lined up, I will put 2 holes in each of them;)

OldOutlaw likes this.
  12. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Well, the FBI needs to stop shooting thru glass, problem solved ;):p

I got an online buddy that's retired FBI, might have to contact him to get his thoughts on .380 ammo.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think the Federal Bureau of Incompetence is the LAST opinion I would consider in regards to caliber, bullet, or investigations in general. Corrupt pile of bureaucrats at the top.

Rerun likes this.
  14. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I have not seen .380 HPs expand, even from longer barreled pistols (like a Beretta 84). When they did, they tended to only penetrate to 8" in ballistic gel tests (plenty on YouTube). SO, I only carry FMJs in mine. I want to make sure I poke a nice hole through some ones torso and I am more concerned about 100% functioning reliability at the "bad breath ranges" that these pistols will be used at.

My pocket .380/.32 (depends on what I'm feeling like) is just a high capacity derringer. Instructions: Point in Face, Pull Trigger, Repeat if needed.
    THEN, as it's being emptied. I'm pulling out my primary piece. The goblin may have brought friends.

15. SWAGA

I’m probably repeating myself but I’ve carried a .380 exclusively for 4-5 years before I started alternating between .380/7.62x25/9mm/45 depending on the activity and level of relative undress.
    I’ve never felt I needed the FBI to tell me what I should carry.
    My primary carry piece for years doesn’t feed Golden Sabre or Winchester truncated.
    Again, whatever works for you.
    And you’ll really like this video where he has tested and concludes the best .380 carry ammo.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  16. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    You need to watch some of the Paul Harell videos, the Gold Dot expands and penetrates, along with others. The 380 Hard ball goes through 2 meat targets. The 9mm FMJ goes through 2 meat targets and a few layers of high tech fleas bullet stop:)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Merle likes this.
  17. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Something to think about...

18. RCS

RCS Likes guns and good people. Mean people suck. Member

Now that's no shit. C. Wray needs to be investigated. Shit should flow uphill in the FBI. Somebody is responsible for ruining their credibility. Clean house.

Merle likes this.
  19. RCS

RCS Likes guns and good people. Mean people suck. Member

Use a .22 and the surgeon will never find the bullets before the perp. bleeds out. Don't call 911 for a while.....

20. I like this one for Federal HST's.
    Denim, ribs and then balistics gel.
    It's not all scientific, but I think these would stop an attack.