Opinions on Glock 42 (the little 380)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cktvt, Jul 16, 2014.

1. cktvt

cktvt Member

Anybody have a Glock model 42? I heard they've had some problems. Just wondering what the folks on this forum have to say, good or bad. :confused:

2. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Its a gun that I don't see the purpose for most people. If you are recoil sensitive and need a lower powered round and cannot carry anything larger or already in the glock fan club and need a pure back up gun are about the only reasons I could see wanting one. Buddy has one as glove box gun backup. To me it would have been smarter to just put extra mags in. But he hasn't had any issues, but I think he has only put 300 or so rounds though it.

3. I own two Glock 42s and im not even a Glock fan. I usually carry one of my Shields but I really enjoy the G42. Ive put about 400 rounds through it, including 60 rounds of RIP ammo without one error. Personally i prefer my Shields for EDC over it, but it is a very light and accurate gun. If your on the fence just buy one. $400 is worth having an extra CC gun anyways. Heres a pic I took comparing my G42 with a few of my other CC guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

It's for my Mom. She's 77, recoil averse, and has weak, arthritic hands. I got her an SP101 which has minimal recoil with 38 specials. Unfortunately she can't fire it double-action because the trigger pull is too much for her. She can barely muster the strength to cock it with two hands and fire it single-action, and that's after I've had a gunsmith work on the action. Sucks to get old. I figured the trigger on the G42 would be better and the 380 recoil should be OK. Of course I'd have to rack the slide for her but at least she'd have one mag worth of rounds if a bad-guy broke in. But I'm worried about some of the bad reports I'm hearing about the gun. I don't want an R51-type clusterfxxx on my hands.

5. I can say ive never had an issue and i have a day one edition the morning they came out. My newest 42 is currently being used by my girlfriend and shes put 150 rounds through it flawless.

6. cktvt

cktvt Member

That's good to hear - I may just snag one and keep the SP101 for myself.

7. I'm not a fan of the g42. It's not as small or slim as other pocket .380's and it's expensive. but it does have a better trigger than DAO.
    Check out the bersa .380 it's a little bigger than most .380 so it should have less recoil and I beleive it's not DAO

8. The G42 is actually pretty small for carry. The Bersas are ok but are pretty big and not even close when compared to a G42. Ive had at least 5-6 Bersa Thunders ive taken in trade. They shoot ok but for $100 more the 42 is worth it hands down. Remember also the G42 is a striker fire, which to me is better than DAO.

One other option id recommend id the 2nd Gen Ruger LCPs. The trigger was significantly lightened in both trigger pull and travel. The sights were also increased in size for better visibility. I have a first Gen and second Gen LCP and the second Gen is a fabulous mouse gun.

9. cktvt

cktvt Member

I thought about the newer LCP but the recoil is pretty snappy and Mom, well, she's not too keen on recoil. ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  10. geekandwife

Beretta Tomcat? Tip up barrel. Lower power round. Trigger might be a bit much though.

11. cktvt

cktvt Member

Are they DAO?

12. geekandwife

DA/SA Exposed hammer so you can carry it condition one with the safety if need be. SA trigger is 3.5-4 lbs

13. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm gonna keep it in mind. 32acp is better than Mom throwing her coffee mug. Thanks.

14. Branth

Branth Member

Why something super small? If her hands are just weak and not particularly small, then a compact or full-sized polymer pistol would be fine, and would be more controllable. Do you have access to a G19, M&PC, XDmC, or similar? Maybe she could try that out.

If grip size is a concern, the Walther PK380 might be a good choice. It has a small, slim grip, .380 recoil, an easy to rack slide, and simple controls.

15. cktvt

cktvt Member

Yeah I should have mentioned her hands are small (but her heart is big). ;)

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's meant to be competitive with the previous generation of .380ACP handguns, such as (still popular and still the benchmark) the Walther PPK, or the (also popular) Bersa Thunder and Bersa Thunder CC.

It is not intended to be competitive with or fill the exact same role as the modern pocket-rocket 380 generation spawned by the Kel-Tec P3AT (P3AT, LCP, TCP738, Colt Mustang/Sig P238, S&W Bodyguard, Kahr P380, Diamondback DB380, etc.).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

I really like my 42, and others who shoot it ask if it's for sale.

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  19. cktvt

cktvt Member

Thanks SWAGA - if she ends up with a semi-auto, I'll use it.