Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking to get int o reloading and I'm looking at getting the Lee Classic Turret Press. Has anyone used it before? What do you think about it? The Lee website has some awesome videos on their site showing how to set up the press and how easy it is to use. Wanted to know if anyone out there has any experience with this press.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
If it's the 3 hole turret, yes, I own one but I've since modified it to the 4 hole turret with auto index. The press is solid and works great, but it's slow as you can only load 1 round at a time. For pistol ammo, especially plinking ammo that you want to really crank out numbers, it's a slow process which is this presses only drawback.

As far as structurally, it's a fine press and will do just about anything, pistol and small to large caliber rifle rounds. *It's not big enough to do a .50 BMG round for instance.*

Now, for a beginning reloader, I would strongly recommend this press as there are few presses out there that are as simple to setup and use. For the money, it's a great buy and will pay for itself within a few hundred rounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Primal, on Cabelas they have it set up with the 4 hole turret in a nice package deal for $189 which is what I think I'm going to pick up. Unfortunately I don't get to do as much shooting as I'd like I normally only end up shooting about 1,000 rounds a month or so, so the speed doesn't matter much to me. One of the guys I work with has a progressive press that he loves but I simply don't have the money to spend on a heavy duty progressive like that. I think this will suffice for the time being that's for sure.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Take a look at www.midwayusa.com man. IIRC, they advertise the Lee turret press for $162.00 and some change.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have the Lee classic turret in 4 hole and like it a lot. It's a very heavy duty press. In just a few seconds you can set it up as a single stage press too. Out of curiosity I timed myself while loading some .40 s&w. Without hurrying I can easily do over 200 rounds an hour. Plenty good for my volume of shooting.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
i upgraded from the lee breech lock press to the turret, and it is light years faster than a single stage. it is a good press, and if you do not do a volume of shooting, then it should be fine for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys that's what I was hoping to hear! I'll probably end up reloading maybe 250-300 rounds at a time. The only thing I'll be reloading at the moment is .40s&w as that's what I'm mainly shooting besides 22lr but I do plan on getting dies for 9mm as that will be my next investment, the 995 and I'm thinking maybe the Ruger SR9. Havn't shot it yet but everything I've seen of it is nice. My brother has one of the older Ruger 9mm as well I think the p89? Not sure though, I shot that down in Florida and it was awesome, very light trigger pull not too bad on recoil, all-in-all very comfortable to shoot. Thanks for the good info guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
+whatever number we're up to now - lol

It may take a small amount of fiddlin' to get it running just right, but I am very pleased with my LCT. I reload .380/9mm/.45ACP. Caliber changes are a breeze. Spare turrets are only $10. Plenty of strength, very affordable. I'd recommend getting the Pro Disk powder measure and the adjustable charge bar. The safety prime system for large & small primers works great.

It is slower than a full prgressive, but I like being able to feel each operation and checking it before proceeding to the next station. On a progressive it would be hard to do with all 4 operations going on at the same time. 150-200 rounds per hour is not a problem.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
JMO The turret press is great i love mine however if you have never reloaded before i sugest a single stage press to learn the basics yes reloading is fun but i can be dangorus if you are not careful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts