Opinions on Taurus 738 tcp

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by histed, May 23, 2015.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

I'm looking to pick one up in the near future. Shot one a couple of weeks back and liked it, but a dozen rounds hardly qualifies as an extensive test. With all the members and the varied interests here, surely some of you guys (and ladies) have experience with this, so, whadya think?

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

3. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I really like mine. I use it for CC sometimes because it's easy to conceal. The only thing I don't really like is the long trigger pull, but I see why it's necessary on that type of gun. If you're like me and used to single action, you'll need to practice with it to get used to the long pull.

I've run about 500 rounds through mine, and I've only had one failure to feed with flat nosed Winchester white box and it was in the first hundred rounds. I'm not really sure if the gun doesn't like that ammo, or if it was because it was really dirty at the time.

The groups that I get at 7-10 yards are about 3 inches. The small sights take a little getting used to, but are good enough out to about 30 feet or so. I think if I ever have to use it, it will probably be a lot closer than that.

Overall it's not a tack driver, and it's not a .45, but a good little gun.

4. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Well, I had one for about a year, but traded it off. It ran good for me, but I had only ran about 120 or so rounds through it. I did like the last shot hold open design. This is the only .380 ACP I have now:
    [​IMG]

5. I just bought the Taurus PT111 9mm at kygunco.com for $200. Not sure if it's still on sale. Free shipping.

May want to consider it instead.

6. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

It's a good gun for what it is intended for. Mine had a couple of malfunctions early on and they took it back and fixed it at no cost to me. It is a great little gun with a lifetime warranty. The accuracy is good for little bitty gun and it's easy to forget you have it with you since it is just a touch over ten ounces.

I bought a S&W SD9VE to replace my C9 because it only weighs 22 ounces and is thinner but the TCP has replaced it as my primary carry weapon. The last shot hold open is very handy and most of the other little 380s don't have it. I like to know when I have shot the last round. I would spend the $199 again in a heartbeat.

I bought my Hi-Point and found out that the bashers were totally wrong and found the same thing with Taurus.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Pshhht. It is a real gun. A real concealable gun.

They're one of the most compact, lightest, and comfortable guns to carry that has ever been built. It also has a slide lock and a considerably better trigger than the Kel Tec P3AT or the Ruger LCP.

In my opinion the metal is finished better and the general fit is better than the competition too IMO. Mine had some teething problems at first (rounds brushing the slide lock lever) but it worked these out in the first couple of mags. It works extremely well now. The price is also excellent. Locally the matte stainless version with two mags (no case) goes for $200.

Basically, it's an awesome value from my perspective and you'll probably find yourself carrying it more than your mid/full size guns.

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have the BSS version for going on 3 years now. Carried it so much the black is wearing off the slide. Good trigger and I like the fact that the slide locks back on an empty mag. I would choose this one over wheRever LCP and the Keltec any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Did I say it's accurate too?

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I like mine. Reliable & easy to conceal. Felt recoil is easier than I expected.

Barrel is stainless.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

10. moona11

I still like this one better

Attached Files:

11. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I had one. Bought it used. I personally put several hundred rds through it. Gave it to my son in law. He has put several hundred rds through it. I know the person I bought it from and he had put several hundred rds though it. So far as I know, It has never malfunctioned and runs flawlessly. Keep it cleaned and lube'd and it will take care of you for a long time.
    It is amazing how well built it is. The barrel is really thin, but tough as nails. Great gun.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

that seems to be one of the defining characteristics of the pocket rocket 380s.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

13. histed

histed Supporting Member

Moon - that's a Kel Tec? Oh, and I do have a real gun. I posted a pic of it in the other thread.:D Seriously, I know you prefer KT, and I'm not settled on anything. Tell me why the KT is better, especially since I never shot one.

14. moona11

Kirk want help out on this one. I like them because they are one of the original small inexpensive guns that have a warranty like HP. They can hold 10, 12 mags or use S&W 5900 mags 15rds you just have to change the spring to a wolf 10%. The trigger does suck but like HP you can mod it or change it to a Northwood trigger that you get a discount if you join TKOG and post so much and if you are Mil you get another discount. Which is what I have on mine and Evil's P11's. They are a bit snappy but you get that with a lot of subs. when I practice I wear gloves to help with it and I think they shot pretty accurate the mods are easy to do also. Kirk knows a ton more about them also I used alot of his advice when I got them. If you where around here I would take you out to put a few hundred rounds out of one. Thats a gun that loves a good fluff and buff and eats most anything I carry one everyday I replaced my rear sight with a SCCY metal sight that SCCY sent me for Free even though it was not one of their guns. I had to file down the angle one the sight to get it to fit the slot but it made it a better sight pic.

15. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Good reviews on the 738 tcp. I may be living in the past, but the name Taurus turns me off.

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'm on my second pistol from them.... I owned a stainless .44 revolver about 10 years ago, and currently own the PT92.... Both are/were excellent in my opinion, and neither were any problem.... The .44 was dead nuts accurate too.... Maybe I'm lucky, but I'm not afraid to own more of them in the future.

17. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I have the TCP and like it. Very easy to carry in a wallet holster in your pocket. Surprisingly accurate as well. Smoothest trigger of the cheaper 380s.

18. Kiln

Kiln Member

If you like a trigger that has about 2x the weight and travel, go with the Kel Tec. I've had both and the TCP has a better trigger.

19. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    You mean like a Hi Point.:rolleyes:

20. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I heard that a TCP can become non functional, unless racked, by a short stroke of the trigger. That is a huge issue that I would have to consider before ever buying a TCP.

I'll dig for the video.