Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Optics durability for carbines

6K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  MarkWS 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the world of anything-other-than-shotguns....grew up hunting deer so I didnt know anything else until I got the itch again recently and acquired a JHP and received a 4595 for my birthday last month....so far I love what I have.

I am not crazy about the factory sights for the 4595 and am looking at red dots and reflex sights. I have been combing through the forums pretty thoroughly for information and there are many people with opinions but not a lot of concrete info from sight owners and how they are actually holding up after time.

It would be really helpful in picking one out if those of you who have a red dot/reflex/scope chime in on the brand, cost, how many rounds have gone through the gun approx. and age of gun. Thanks everybody!

#3 ·
What color scope are you looking for?Its the 1st thing to consider.

#6 ·
its not on a hipoint carbine but i bought a generation 1 vortex strike fire off amazon for $124. bright clear and the generation 1 comes with a 2x doubler. I haven't had it long but vortex is offering unconditional lifetime warranty of their products.

Hows it holding up somewhere between 2-300 rounds of 12ga through a kel tec ksg and its been great. No hickups or issues of any kind with the optic at least. Some of those rounds were the last of my 3 inch magnum buckshot and slug phase.

#7 ·
I picked up a truglo red dot from a local shooting shop, same one hp ships with their carbines, and i also bought a sightmark z series holographic that i got a great deal on from sportsmans guide during a sale. I have read many great reviews of that sight and I figured I will use both of them eventually. I will play with them this weekend and let you guys know. I will say lsi1 that is about the 1 millionth great review I have seen of that sight....just a hair over my budget so we will see if I shouldve kept saving up or not, thanks for the rec though.

#9 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the world of anything-other-than-shotguns....grew up hunting deer so I didnt know anything else until I got the itch again recently and acquired a JHP and received a 4595 for my birthday last month....so far I love what I have.

I am not crazy about the factory sights for the 4595 and am looking at red dots and reflex sights. I have been combing through the forums pretty thoroughly for information and there are many people with opinions but not a lot of concrete info from sight owners and how they are actually holding up after time.

It would be really helpful in picking one out if those of you who have a red dot/reflex/scope chime in on the brand, cost, how many rounds have gone through the gun approx. and age of gun. Thanks everybody!
Welcome to HPFF!
I'm more of a scope guy, looking to obtain nice used glass for the carbines.
It's a bit of overkill, bit the factory sights are said to be very accurate and at the ranges of PCCs... might as well use irons or target shoot with a scope. I have 80 year old eyes, BTW

#11 ·
I put a TruGlo 1xRed Dot on my 9mmTS and it's held up very good for cheap cost. You have lots of good options in Bushnell RDs with TRS25 and TRS32.

Primary Arms/HoloSun have great Red Dots but are more expensive and they hold up great to the AR15's.

Center Point has a Red Dot and 3-9 scope that would work very well.

Nikon Prostaff 3-9 are great scopes for the cost.

Depending on whether you want to keep shots within 50yds or 100yd shots will depend on type of scope needed due to parallax settings.

#12 ·
Reflex sight

I added a light weight and low cost reflex to my 995ts. Took off the stock iron sights and I must say it now is way more accurate and fun to shoot. Its a Mueller quick shot, paid $41.00 for it on Amazon. Target acquisition time is great and have hit a metal plate out to 300 yds with it

#14 ·
Primary Arms has the Lucid M7 Micro Red Dot Sight on sale for $99.00

After removing both front and rear stock iron sights, I mounted one on my 9mm HP carbine and love it.

It's very light, mounts to either Weaver or Picatinny rails and takes 1 - aaa battery.

Normally, this sight cost (depending on where you buy it) $165 up to $189.00.

While, I've only shot my HP carbine 125/150 times, the last 75 or so was with the red dot sight.

So far, it holds zero and I've shot it at a variety of ranges up to 50yds.

I zeroed it 32 yds and find that it still right on the money without having to rezero at close range (20 yds) all the way out to 50 yds.

#15 ·
I'm not recommending this sight, but it does illiterate a cheap one can work well. It's likely a crap shoot to go that way, but you can get lucky. I put a BSA bottom dollar three color dot on my Marlin 700 about 5 years ago. I paid 35 or so, maybe less. The gun has been dropped a couple of times from a cheap gun rack in the truck. That gun gets no special care, it's a beater rabbit gun. That damn sight holds zero no matter what happens to it. It has had two problems, neither of which has stopped it. The mount is crap, to weak and it walks fwd on the gun under recoil, even 22 recoil. But it never loses zero as it walks. Loosen the set screws, move it back where it belongs, and it's ready to rock again. The selector switch has rattled out of alignment with the markings on the body. The switch works just fine, all three colors work on all three brightness settings, but the indication marks are meaningless. I recently put it on a weaver rail mounted on my home scout rifle made from a 7mm Mauser. So far it's performing good there as well. Just like on the 22 it walks forward under recoil, but keeps shooting straight. Red lock tight fixed that on the 22, but I forgot when I put it on the 7mm.

The only point is, and many on the Web say this, there are decent under or just over 100 bucks red dots for light duty use. That TR25 looks like a really good one. I intend to put one on my scout. I only mounted the BSA to test the rifle. The BSA will go back on the 22.

#20 ·
Yes I do. I just stuck the Sparc up ahead of the iron sights.
Tomorrow it is supposed to be almost 60 degrees, so I am heading up to the outdoor range. Hard to find a place to shoot outside in the Atlanta area. At least an hours drive.
I am going to shoot the 4095 at 50, 75, and 100 yds. Prob sight it in for 50 yds, then figure out where to hold for the longer ranges. So far, I am very impressed with this fairly cheap carbine's accuracy.

#21 ·
Yes I do. I just stuck the Sparc up ahead of the iron sights.
Tomorrow it is supposed to be almost 60 degrees, so I am heading up to the outdoor range. Hard to find a place to shoot outside in the Atlanta area. At least an hours drive.
I am going to shoot the 4095 at 50, 75, and 100 yds. Prob sight it in for 50 yds, then figure out where to hold for the longer ranges. So far, I am very impressed with this fairly cheap carbine's accuracy.
Also curious. Are you co-witnessing with that arrangement?

#24 ·
Primary Arms/HoloSun have great Red Dots but are more expensive and they hold up great to the AR15's.
I have been going through all the threads on optics for carbines and this was the only mention of HoloSun optics. In the last few days I have been researching what was available and what was the best bang for your buck. I have got to say, yes they are more than $40, but less than the "big name" brands. From what I have seen they are worth every penny as they are nearly indestructible,batteries last forever and waterproof. Another small thing, the light source in the tube cannot be seen as can in most others.

#25 ·
red dots and all

This is Steve at Flat Lander Firearms in Wichita, Ks. We sell a sight from Trinity force for $44.95 it has 3 color options red, blue and green 4 reticule options and 11 brightness options. It has a lifetime warranty and for the carbines works very well. I am waiting on my green sight to come in and will try to get a range report on it as soon as I can. I have one customer with one on an AR15 and he has around 300 rounds through it he is reporting no problems or loss of zero. The company has a couple of other options as well. I have not heard yet from the 2 Hi Point owners yet and one is deployed so it might be awhile. Check your local gun shop and see if they can get you one. Thank you, Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.