Ordered new Lee progressive with 9mm setup, what else might i need.

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by rippinryno, Jun 17, 2015.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Well, I got tired of looking at the 2 5 gallon buckets full of 9 and 40 casings. I decided it was time to try to do something with the old brass.

I have zero experience reloading, but wanted to just make the jump so i ordered the press and that pretty much forces me to put it to use.

Having no experience at all, what else do i need to purchase? De primers and what not?

I can do a DIY tumble since i'm not going to be doing huge amounts i'll just use the washing machine or something of the like to get me started.

I also plan to make an order for lead and primers today so that I have those supplies. I have some guidelines for powder loads that i've found on some of the reload forums around the interwebz.

Just wonder if there's anything that I don't have that will be needed to successfully reload. I am not sure if this press have a deprimer.

thanks.

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Only thing I see missing is a 45. You need a powder scale, dies, shell holder. Dial calipers. Give us a breakdown of what you have and have ordered and we can help.

3. rippinryno

4. planosteve

Still need a scale to set your powder drop from the measure. So I would say a scale and dial calipers are all you need to start.

5. rippinryno

ok, don't need a de primer or anything? i wasn't sure how you go about doing that.

6. planosteve

The sizing die has a deprimer pin. It punches out the old primer during the sizing operation.

7. rippinryno

awesome, i'm assuming this kit comes with the sizing die as part of the "3 die set" that is labeled.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  9. rippinryno

Ok, i'll look into that. So the scale is basically just to check the pre measured amount to make sure it's good?

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yes, the carbide sizing die has the deprimer pin in it, and requires no lube; then there will be the powder through expanding die, which opens the mouth of the case to accept the bullet and let's powder drop in, then the seating die, which puts the bullet in, seats it to your adjusted length, and does a very basic crimp.

The one thing you won't have is a factory crimp die. Not an essential thing, but some like it.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. Some kits come with the Lee Safety scale, but it looks like yours doesn't.

12. Get a case trimmer, so your cases are uniform. Unless you are buying a lot of powder, or primers online the cost of hazmat will eat you up. Best to find a local dealer for those two items. You should also get a go-no go case gauge so your gun does not go kaboom. Ohhh, and a kinetic bullet puller.

13. rippinryno

^^^well good lord you just added 4 more items lol. is it not safe enough to just say--"this case fired once, it'll fire again, lol" I'm open to get what is needed for me to save money for plinking rounds, if a bullet puller and a case gauge are a must have for proper reloading i will look into those.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Cases stretch over time. You can only fire them so many times before they become too long to properly seat or chamber, then they become dangerous. Hence the case length trimmer.

It's a quasi-myth. :(

I think I'll start a whining and crying thread over it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. rippinryno

right, i know i won't save any money cuz i'll shoot more in turn, but at the same time, i'm not having to go buy them so even if i can make it happen for $8/50rds of 9, it's worth it to me, plus i want to learn it.

90% of my cases are once fired, do you think i could reload without this tool or do i basically need it to be safe doing this.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Regardless of having a case trimmer or not, you'll need the calipers; which you can pick up a cheaper set from Harbor Freight. That way you can measure case length and set aside the out of spec ones until you decide you want a trimmer.

When I started reloading I broke even in the first 750 rounds I reloaded because my main focus was on .308. $0.38 - $0.42 per round is a whole lot better than the $1+ per round that I was paying for commercial. My costs will go down even more when I get out of this state and don't have to pay as much for powder and primers.

17. rippinryno

I do have calipers that i use for engine work, i believe they will work for the casings just to check.

so, the added freight cost is that much more when ordering lead and primers and powder online. i've got several places that sell reloading supplies just wasn't sure what option would be cheapest.

18. Fracman

Fracman Member

Pistol brass does not grow like bottle brass does I have never trimmed my 45 colt brass. It ends up splitting before it gets to long. Some of my cases have been loaded more the 20 times. I find that I will lose auto brass before it is needed to be trimmed.
    For the reloader 1000 I would find some more of ball chain that resets the powder drop. It is a fine kit just wish they used something stronger on the powder reset. That is the kit I started with. Then I upgraded to the Dillon 550. You will need to get the adopter kit for the 40 which will have the dies, case holder.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

^^^ I knew I forgot something.

I have never had to trim my pistol brass either.

The added cost for primers and powder is the hazmat fees associated with it. Try to stick to local suppliers for those items if you can. I've used DAG Ammo for primers before, but I bought them by the case and got a discount for being a vet. They charge a hazmat fee only so it was $25, I believe, to have 15k primers shipped to my house.

20. IIRC about 25 dollars, ON TOP of the shipping charges.

Never mind, Rach already posted the fee.